Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Compare 2 files using awk but exclude header record from each file Post 303045940 by pchang on Saturday 18th of April 2020 05:07:45 PM
Old 04-18-2020
Where would I put that additional condition in my code?

I tried the following but not getting the desired output.

Code:
awk -F","  'FNR > 1; FNR==NR{a[$1]=$2 FS $3","$4","$5","$6","$7","$8;next} $1 in a {print $0, a[$1]}' OFS='|' b.txt a.txtawk -F","  'FNR==NR{a[$1]=$2 FS $3","$4","$5","$6","$7","$8;next} $1 in a {print $0, a[$1]}' OFS='|' b.txt a.txt

Output:
#|,,,,,,
2,3,4,5|two,three,foor,,,,

Code:
awk -F"," 'FNR>1' 'FNR==NR{a[$1]=$2 FS $3","$4","$5","$6","$7","$8;next} $1 in a {print $0, a[$1]}' OFS='|' b.txt a.txt
2,two,three,foor

Output:

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to exclude a record from unix file

I want to exclude records from my unix file that have a specific pattern. How can I do this? Thanks. Ryan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ryan2786
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to update header record

I am using HP UX and think this may be done with awk but bot sure. I have a file with a several header records and undeneath many detail records I need to put in the header record the number of detail records above this header record and number of detail records below this header record Header... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: klut
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Skip parsing the header record - Awk

Guys.... Got a scenario in which I need to skip parsing the header record while I do an awk. Does awk has the flexibility to accomplish this?. If so, how do we do this?. Thanks !!! -Anduzzi :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anduzzi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to exclude the header in shell script using awk

Hello Everyone In my shell script, I am retrieving the cluster ID and node number of an LPAR using the following command - lsclcfg -l This command's output looks as follows - CLUSTER_NAME CLUSTER_ID NODE_NR sch1h004 6104567 3 I want to store only the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gates1580
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK exclude first and last record, sort and print

Hi everyone, I've really searched for a solution to this and this is what I found so far: I need to sort a command output (here represented as a "cat file" command) and from the second down to the second-last line based on the second row and then print ALL the output with the specified section... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dentex
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude the header row in the file to validate

Hi All, File contains header row.. we need to exclude the header row...no need to validate the first row in the file. Data in the file should take valid data(two columns)..we need to exclude the more than two columns in the file except the first line. email|firstname a|123|100 b|345... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare current record,with next and previous record in awk without using array?

Hi! all can any one tell me how to compare current record of column with next and previous record in awk without using array my case is like this input.txt 0 32 1 26 2 27 3 34 4 26 5 25 6 24 9 23 0 32 1 28 2 15 3 26 4 24 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dona Clara
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude the header row while splitting the file

Hi All, i have script like ... "TYPE_ID" "ID" "LIST_ID" "18" "52010" "1059" "18" "52010" "1059" "18" "52010" "1059" "18" "52010" "1059" i am using the below code it's not taking the header row. awk -F"\t" -v file=test1.txt -v file1=test2.txt ' { if(... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a header record (tab delimited) in multiple files

Hi Forum. I'm struggling to find a solution for the following issue. I have multiple files a1.txt, a2.txt, a3.txt, etc. and I would like to insert a tab-delimited header record at the beginning of each of the files. This is my code so far but it's not working as expected. for i in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files and find match and print the header of the second file

Hi, I have two input files; file1 and file2. I compare them based on matched values in 1 column and print selected columns of the second file (file2). I got the result but the header was not printed. i want the header of file2 to be printed together with the result. Then i did below codes:- ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
3 Replies
Path::Class(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    Path::Class(3)

NAME
Path::Class - Cross-platform path specification manipulation VERSION
version 0.26 SYNOPSIS
use Path::Class; my $dir = dir('foo', 'bar'); # Path::Class::Dir object my $file = file('bob', 'file.txt'); # Path::Class::File object # Stringifies to 'foo/bar' on Unix, 'fooar' on Windows, etc. print "dir: $dir "; # Stringifies to 'bob/file.txt' on Unix, 'bobfile.txt' on Windows print "file: $file "; my $subdir = $dir->subdir('baz'); # foo/bar/baz my $parent = $subdir->parent; # foo/bar my $parent2 = $parent->parent; # foo my $dir2 = $file->dir; # bob # Work with foreign paths use Path::Class qw(foreign_file foreign_dir); my $file = foreign_file('Mac', ':foo:file.txt'); print $file->dir; # :foo: print $file->as_foreign('Win32'); # foofile.txt # Interact with the underlying filesystem: # $dir_handle is an IO::Dir object my $dir_handle = $dir->open or die "Can't read $dir: $!"; # $file_handle is an IO::File object my $file_handle = $file->open($mode) or die "Can't read $file: $!"; DESCRIPTION
"Path::Class" is a module for manipulation of file and directory specifications (strings describing their locations, like '/home/ken/foo.txt' or 'C:WindowsFoo.txt') in a cross-platform manner. It supports pretty much every platform Perl runs on, including Unix, Windows, Mac, VMS, Epoc, Cygwin, OS/2, and NetWare. The well-known module "File::Spec" also provides this service, but it's sort of awkward to use well, so people sometimes avoid it, or use it in a way that won't actually work properly on platforms significantly different than the ones they've tested their code on. In fact, "Path::Class" uses "File::Spec" internally, wrapping all the unsightly details so you can concentrate on your application code. Whereas "File::Spec" provides functions for some common path manipulations, "Path::Class" provides an object-oriented model of the world of path specifications and their underlying semantics. "File::Spec" doesn't create any objects, and its classes represent the different ways in which paths must be manipulated on various platforms (not a very intuitive concept). "Path::Class" creates objects representing files and directories, and provides methods that relate them to each other. For instance, the following "File::Spec" code: my $absolute = File::Spec->file_name_is_absolute( File::Spec->catfile( @dirs, $file ) ); can be written using "Path::Class" as my $absolute = Path::Class::File->new( @dirs, $file )->is_absolute; or even as my $absolute = file( @dirs, $file )->is_absolute; Similar readability improvements should happen all over the place when using "Path::Class". Using "Path::Class" can help solve real problems in your code too - for instance, how many people actually take the "volume" (like "C:" on Windows) into account when writing "File::Spec"-using code? I thought not. But if you use "Path::Class", your file and directory objects will know what volumes they refer to and do the right thing. The guts of the "Path::Class" code live in the "Path::Class::File" and "Path::Class::Dir" modules, so please see those modules' documentation for more details about how to use them. EXPORT The following functions are exported by default. file A synonym for "Path::Class::File->new". dir A synonym for "Path::Class::Dir->new". If you would like to prevent their export, you may explicitly pass an empty list to perl's "use", i.e. "use Path::Class ()". The following are exported only on demand. foreign_file A synonym for "Path::Class::File->new_foreign". foreign_dir A synonym for "Path::Class::Dir->new_foreign". Notes on Cross-Platform Compatibility Although it is much easier to write cross-platform-friendly code with this module than with "File::Spec", there are still some issues to be aware of. o On some platforms, notably VMS and some older versions of DOS (I think), all filenames must have an extension. Thus if you create a file called foo/bar and then ask for a list of files in the directory foo, you may find a file called bar. instead of the bar you were expecting. Thus it might be a good idea to use an extension in the first place. AUTHOR
Ken Williams, KWILLIAMS@cpan.org COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) Ken Williams. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
Path::Class::Dir, Path::Class::File, File::Spec perl v5.16.2 2013-08-25 Path::Class(3)