Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Compare two text files and print the difference against key in bash shell script Post 303045938 by vgersh99 on Saturday 18th of April 2020 04:02:25 PM
Old 04-18-2020
what have you done so far and where exactly are stuck?
have you searched for similar threads in these fora?
have you checked the 10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting at the bottom of this thread for similar threads?

More importantly, what have you tried so far?

Last edited by vgersh99; 04-19-2020 at 12:44 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to vgersh99 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

to compare two files and to print the difference

suppose one file P1168S P2150L P85L Q597R R1097C Another file P2150L P85L Q597R R1097C R1379C R1587K Then output shud be R1379C R1587K thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to compare first column of two files and find difference

Hi, I want to write a script which will compare the 1st column of both the files and will give the difference. e.g:- my 1st file contains: 89 /usr 52 /usr/local 36 /tmp 92 /opt 96 /home 27 /etc/opt/EMCom 1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adityam
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files and print the two lines with difference

I have two files like this: #FILE 1 ABCD 4322 26485 JMTJ 5311 97248 XMPJ 4321 58978 #FILE 2 ABCD 4321 26485 JMTJ 5311 97248 XMPJ 4321 68978 What to do: Compare the two files and find those lines that doesn't match. And have a new file like this: #FILE 3 "from file 1" ABCD 4322 26485... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare Fields from two text files using key columns

Hi All, I have two files to compare. Each has 10 columns with first 4 columns being key index together. The rest of the columns have monetary values. Using Perl, I want to read one file into hash; check for the key value availability in file 2; then compare the values in the rest of 6... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sangtha
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two columns in two files and print the difference

one file . . importing table employee 119 . . importing table jobs 1 2nd file . . importing table employee 120 . . importing table jobs 1 and would like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhonnyrip
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shell Script to compare xml files and print output to a file

All, PLease can you help me with a shell script which can compare two xml files and print the difference to a output file. I have attached one such file for you reference. <Group> <Member ID=":Year_Quad:41501" childCount="4" fullPath="PEPSICO Year-Quad-Wk : FOLDER.52 Weeks Ending Dec... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanthrajgowda
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two text files and print matches

Hi, I am looking for a way to compare two text files and print the matches. For example; File1.txt 89473036 78474384 48948408 95754748 47849030 File2.txt 47849030 46730356 16734947 78474384 36340047 Output: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two text files and output difference

Hi experts, I am trying to compare two text files and output the difference to another file. I'm not strictly looking for differences in text but additional text at the end of one file that isn't in another, so basically comparing the file 2 against file 1 and printing any additional text to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: martin0852
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple awk command to compare two files and print first difference

Hello, I have two text files, each with a single column, file 1: 124152970 123899868 123476854 54258288 123117283 file 2: 124152970 123899868 54258288 123117283 122108330 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need awk or Shell script to compare Column-1 of two different CSV files and print if column-1 matche

Example: I have files in below format file 1: zxc,133,joe@example.com cst,222,xyz@example1.com File 2 Contains: hxd hcd jws zxc cst File 1 has 50000 lines and file 2 has around 30000 lines : Expected Output has to be : hxd hcd jws (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TestPractice
5 Replies
SYSLOGOUT(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      SYSLOGOUT(8)

NAME
syslogout - modular centralized shell logout mechanism DESCRIPTION
syslogout is a generic approach to enable centralized shell logout actions for all users of a given system in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysadmins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/syslogout shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are con- tained in the /etc/syslogout.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by the /etc/syslogout script. For shell sessions, the contents of /etc/syslogout.d/" will be sourced by every user at logout if the following lines are present in his $HOME/.bash_logout: if [ -f /etc/syslogout ]; then . /etc/syslogout fi If used for X sessions it is advisable to include the former statement into the Xreset script of the X display manager instead to prevent that closing of an terminal emulator window yields unexpected results in your running X session if your X11 terminal emulator is using a login shell. Be sure then to run it under the user-id of the X session's user. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ for illustration. Users not wanting /etc/syslogout to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosyslogout in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/syslogout.d/ can simply be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.syslogout.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/syslogout.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syslo- gout.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private scripts to be automagically executed by /etc/syslogout at logout time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ and the manual page for bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at login time check out the related package sysprofile(8) which is a very close compan- ion to syslogout. BUGS
syslogout in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
syslogout was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSLOGOUT(8)