Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Shell command to print full path to current home directory Post 303045911 by apmcd47 on Friday 17th of April 2020 08:24:22 PM
Old 04-17-2020
So basically you want to confirm that /home is on the /mnt/linux_data partition rather than /? You could check out the stat command:
Code:
stat -c%d "${HOME}"

This will give the device number of the partition you are on in decimal. By comparing it with, say, the device number of / you know whether it is on the root or a different partition. Unfortunately stat doesn't give access to the UUID of the device (that I could see, anyway).

While this doesn't in itself confirm that the home directory is mounted on the correct partition, once you have the correct device number you could write a script with that id preloaded into the script.

Of course, all this will have to be done with a script or on the command line, and not, as you initially wished, in the file manager (Dolphin).

Andrew

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

home directory in search path

Is it unsafe to put your own home directory (a regular user) in your search path? I am writing useful shell scripts, but don't have the permissions to put them in /usr/bin. (Korn shell) thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpprial
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

want the current directory without the absolute path

Hi guys I'm trying to move an empty directory to the $TRASH directory. Say the directory i have is ./hello/hello1/hello2 and i'm in hello2, and i want hello2 moved. this code: TRASH=$home/deleted find "$TRASH/$1" -type d -exec rmdir { } \; 2>/dev/null mv -f $1 $TRASH 2>/dev/null works... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: olimiles
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting by Full directory path

I have a text file with full list of files with their full path. I wanted to sort it by directory then files then subdirectory by alphabetically. When I used the sort command it doesn't give like what I want. Could somebody help me on this. Here is the ex: This is what I'm getting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: javidraaj
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Present Working Directory (not the full path)

Hi, Is there a command that tells you right away the current working directory? I know the command "pwd", but that one gives the full path. if pwd gives me: /a/b/c/d/ggg/HERE I want something that will give me: HERE Thanks, Gaurab (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurab
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I get an ls -l to not show the full directory path?

Hey I'm new to the forums here, and I'm seeking help for this script that I'm writing. When I do ls -l of a directory it shows the full pathname for files in it. For example, if the directory is /internet/post/forum/ and the file is topic, it currently shows internet/post/forum/topic. What's the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unity04
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

$0 doesn't have full directory path

I'm running AIX unix korn shell. If I echo $0, I only get the filename, it does not have the directory name also. So when I do: `dirname $0` it returns a . (meaning current directory). How get $0 to return the full path/filename? Do I need something in my .profile? Thank you. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sboxtops
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get the current directory Path?

How to get the current directory Path in your prompt? i am getting a $ mark only in my prompt? Please help me with this (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhishek0683
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract directory name from the full directory path in UNIX using shell scripting

My input is as below : /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/loyal/IFIND.HELLO.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/triumph/ifind.triumph.txt From the above input I want to extract the file names only . Basically I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: IshuGupta
5 Replies

10. Linux

How to print full path name along with file extension?

Hi I have a requirement like this: /abc/a/x.txt /abc/a/y.txt /abc/b/x.gz /abc/b/y.txt I need output like this: /abc/a:*.txt /abc/b:*.txt /abc/b:*.gz I have tried find /abc -type f -name "*.*" ||awk -F . '{print $NF}' it is print only extensions without path name. Please... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lijjumathew
5 Replies
SYSTEMD-VERITYSETUP-GENERATOR(8)			   systemd-veritysetup-generator			  SYSTEMD-VERITYSETUP-GENERATOR(8)

NAME
systemd-veritysetup-generator - Unit generator for integrity protected block devices SYNOPSIS
/lib/systemd/system-generators/systemd-veritysetup-generator DESCRIPTION
systemd-veritysetup-generator is a generator that translates kernel command line options configuring integrity protected block devices (verity) into native systemd units early at boot and when configuration of the system manager is reloaded. This will create systemd- veritysetup@.service(8) units as necessary. Currently, only a single verity device may be se up with this generator, backing the root file system of the OS. systemd-veritysetup-generator implements systemd.generator(7). KERNEL COMMAND LINE
systemd-veritysetup-generator understands the following kernel command line parameters: systemd.verity=, rd.systemd.verity= Takes a boolean argument. Defaults to "yes". If "no", disables the generator entirely. rd.systemd.verity= is honored only by the initial RAM disk (initrd) while systemd.verity= is honored by both the host system and the initrd. roothash= Takes a root hash value for the root file system. Expects a hash value formatted in hexadecimal characters, of the appropriate length (i.e. most likely 256 bit/64 characters, or longer). If not specified via systemd.verity_root_data= and systemd.verity_root_hash=, the hash and data devices to use are automatically derived from the specified hash value. Specifically, the data partition device is looked for under a GPT partition UUID derived from the first 128bit of the root hash, the hash partition device is looked for under a GPT partition UUID derived from the last 128bit of the root hash. Hence it is usually sufficient to specify the root hash to boot from an integrity protected root file system, as device paths are automatically determined from it -- as long as the partition table is properly set up. systemd.verity_root_data=, systemd.verity_root_hash= These two settings take block device paths as arguments, and may be use to explicitly configure the data partition and hash partition to use for setting up the integrity protection for the root file system. If not specified, these paths are automatically derived from the roothash= argument (see above). SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd-veritysetup@.service(8), veritysetup(8), systemd-fstab-generator(8) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-VERITYSETUP-GENERATOR(8)