Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to define multiple environment variables in a shell script? Post 303045868 by MadeInGermany on Thursday 16th of April 2020 11:20:01 AM
Old 04-16-2020
You alter both ~/.profile and ~/.bash_profile.

~/.bash_profile is for a bash login shell.
At login ~/.profile is for all sh-style shells (sh,ash,dash,jsh,psh,ksh,bash,...), but bash runs ~/.bash_profile instead if present.
Some graphical desktops provide a login but do not run a login shell, then bash runs ~/.bashrc.
Some Linux distros might run ~/.bash_profile (or ~/.profile) from /etc/bash.bashrc that is run prior to ~/.bashrc.

Yes, it's a mess.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script help: sorting, incrementing environment variables and stuff

First: me == noob. Whats a good resource for shell script info cause I'm having trouble finding good info. I'm writing a shell script to automate the setup of a flash 'page flip'. My current code is below. the page flip takes an xml file of format <content> <pages... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: secoif
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem accessing Multiple Variables from C Program to a Shell script

program name--test #!/bin/bash output1=`/home/user/a.c` output2=`/home/user/a.c` k=`$output1 + 1` m=`$output2 + 1` echo $k echo $m --------------------------------------------------------------------------- prgram name--a.c #include<stdio.h> int main() (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sameworld1980
1 Replies

3. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Problem setting environment variables from script

Hi all! I know that environment variables can be set on the .bashrc file, but I need to set them from a sh script. I saw a lot of websites that teach this but it doesn't work for me. #!/bin/sh DEKTOP=$DESKTOP=:/home/rrodrigues/Desktop export DESKTOP if I do echo $DESKTOP returns me... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruben.rodrigues
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Define variables with UNIX script

oopps! I Meant "Define Variables within a UNIX Script" What would be the best way to define a variable in a unix shell script so anyone who views this script doesn't know what value is assigned to that variable. some other location... a="/usr/lib/fileA" Unix script... sed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: macastor
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

environment variables in a sed script file

Hello Everyone I need to create a script file which must append some lines to a target text file, I'm using sed for windows, the script file look like this: { a\ STRINGTABLE DISCARDABLE\ BEGIN\ 5, 150 {a\ #define RC_SHELL, "%ID_SHELL%"\ #define RC_NAME, "%ID_NAME%"\ END } ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: edgarvm
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Datastage environment variables in Unix script

Hi All, I am using ETL tool Datastage and is installed on Linux environment. Few environment variables are set in datastage. Now my requirement is to use those environment variables in a unix script. Is there any option I can do it? Sugeestions from people working on datastage and linux... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bghosh
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a script to define variables and run multiple other scripts in succession.

I'm pretty new to scripting in Korn shell so please forgive me... What I'm trying to do is to create a script that calls multiple other ksh scripts and defines variables for text files. I need it to define my user defined variables (file paths, date & time stamps, etc that are currently in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bluejwxn8
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sourcing .cshrc (C shell) environment variables to bash

I have tried with the following: csh -c 'source ~/.cshrc; exec bash' # works perfectly (cat ~/.cshrc; echo exec bash) | csh # not working And, using sed, I successfully retrieved the environment variables from ~/.cshrc sed -rn 's/setenv\s+(\S+)\s+(.*)$/export \1=\2/p' ~/.cshrc but now... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
6 Replies

9. Linux

How to store count of multiple queries in variables in a shell script?

how to store the count of queries in variables inside a filein shell script my output : filename ------- variable1=result from 1st query variable2=result from 2nd query . . . . (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanvel
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define two digits variable in shell script?

Dear Shell script Experts, I am working on shell script which is defined here, qsub_seq.csh . The purpose of this script is to read few input files (with defined starting index and last index) and make processing faster over server. For some task, I had 1064 of input files, so I wrote another... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
8 Replies
SYSPROFILE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     SYSPROFILE(8)

NAME
sysprofile - modular centralized shell configuration DESCRIPTION
sysprofile is a generic approach to configure shell settings in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysad- mins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/sysprofile shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are contained in the /etc/sysprofile.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by /etc/sysprofile. This mechanism is set up by inserting a small shell routine into /etc/profile for login shells and optionally into /etc/bashrc and/or /etc/bash.bashrc for non-login shells from where the actual /etc/sysprofile script is invoked: if [ -f /etc/sysprofile ]; then . /etc/sysprofile fi For using "sysprofile" under X11, one can source it in a similar way from /etc/X11/Xsession or your X display manager's Xsession file to provide the same shell environment as under the console in X11. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/sysprofile/ for illustration. For usage of terminal emulators with a non-login bash shell under X11, take care to enable sysprofile via /etc/bash.bashrc. If not set this way, your terminal emulators won't come up with the environment defined by the scripts in /etc/sysprofile.d/. Users not wanting /etc/sysprofile to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosysprofile in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/sysprofile.d/ can be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.sysprofile.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/sysprofile.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syspro- file.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private script inventions to be automagically executed by /etc/sysprofile at login time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /etc/sysprofile.d/ and the manual pages bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at logout time check out the related package syslogout(8) which is a very close compan- ion to sysprofile. BUGS
sysprofile in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
sysprofile was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSPROFILE(8)