Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers I have forgot my root password. Solaris 10 Post 303045842 by MadeInGermany on Wednesday 15th of April 2020 08:04:15 AM
Old 04-15-2020
Thank you! I have never heard of the boot -F failsafe before.
Have read about it now: an Oracle article says it must exist as /platform/`uname -m`/failsafe.
I have access to an older Solaris 10 Sparc installation that does not have it. How to create it?
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

forgot password red hat ?

Dear Forum savants, I have a problem that I am not sure how to overcome. Two years ago I had a friend build me computer with a linux os (red hat) for learning purposes. It happens to have an oracle server on it as well... Anyway , because of personal reasons, I lost complete interest in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
5 Replies

2. HP-UX

forgot password

i forgot my password on a HP-UX 9.xx machine. is there a possible way of changing it without knowing the root passwd? I would do it with a boot disk and chroot but I dont have a boot disk available.... any ideas? thanks!! Paul Tittel (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paultittel
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I forgot my UNIX password!!

Hello, Is there a way to reset the "root" unix password, pretty much like you would do in linux by going into single user mode? :confused: :confused: Thank you in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr Big
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris root password

Bit of a strange problem I have never come across before.. I can log into the workstation going through the server as it is a trusted host but when I try and connect to the workstation through SSH or RSH directly it will not take the password, I changed the password when I logged in the machine... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr Pink
5 Replies

5. Red Hat

forgot root passwd

hi i have a RHEL 4 and have forgot root passwd tried to boot in by singel user and then changing the passwd but it's not letting me do that ......throwing some weird error as .......manipulation i also tried to make a new user from CLI but even though it's not letting me in from that user as... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: techbravo
12 Replies

6. Solaris

forgot password

hello friends, I am currently using solaris 10. I have lost the root password. Can you please give me a step by step procedure on how to set the password again. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsharath
11 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 8 - Asks for current root password when trying to change root password.

Hello All, I have several solaris boxes running Solaris 8. When changing root passwords on them, all will simply ask for the new root password to change and of course to re-type the new password. One of the systems however asks for the existing root password before it will display the new password... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tferrazz
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Forgot root password

i am a new user of unix . i lost my SGI unix server root password Any body please help me,how get password? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasu.k82
2 Replies

9. Web Development

Forgot MYSQL password root

I have VPS openSUSE 12.2 I forgot MYSQL password root when i run in CMD: > mysql Error Message Show : >> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: CloudniX
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Can a root role change the root password in Solaris 10?

i do not have root on a solairs 10 server , however i do have the root role, i was wondering if I can change the root password as a a role with the passwd command? I have not tried yet. and do i have to use the # chgkey -p afterwards? i need to patch is why i am asking. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goya
1 Replies
installboot(1M) 														   installboot(1M)

NAME
installboot - install bootblocks in a disk partition SYNOPSIS
installboot bootblk raw-disk-device The boot(1M) program, ufsboot, is loaded from disk by the bootblock program which resides in the boot area of a disk partition. The ufs boot objects are platform-dependent, and reside in the /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory. The platform name can be found using the -i option of uname(1). The installboot utility is a SPARC only program. It is not supported on the architecture. users should use installgrub(1M) instead. bootblk The name of the bootblock code. raw-disk-device The name of the disk device onto which the bootblock code is to be installed; it must be a character device which is read- able and writable. Naming conventions for a SCSI or IPI drive are c?t?d?s? and c?d?s? for an IDE drive. Example 1: Installing UFS Boot Block To install a ufs boot block on slice 0 of target 0 on controller 1 of the platform where the command is being run, use: example# installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0 /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory where ufs boot objects reside. /platform/platform-name/ufsboot second level program to boot from a disk or CD See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ od(1), uname(1), boot(1M), init(1M), kadb(1M), kernel(1M), monitor(1M), reboot(1M), rpc.bootparamd(1M), init.d(4), attributes(5) WARNINGS
The installboot utility fails if the bootblk or openfirmware files do not exist or if the raw disk device is not a character device. 11 Apr 2005 installboot(1M)