Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Replacing columns-separated fields having special characters Post 303045820 by Neo on Tuesday 14th of April 2020 05:20:14 AM
Old 04-14-2020
Forum guidelines are that you must post your own code, error messages, sample input and out to ask for assistance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing French special characters

Hi, I have tonnes of .txt files that are written in French. I need to replace the French special characters, however, with English equivalents (e.g. é -> e and ç -> c). I have tried this --- #!/bin/bash # Convert French characters to normal characters # Treat each of the files exec... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BlueberryPickle
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on sed replacing special characters

Hello, I have a file with many lines with below format: \abc\\1234 jkl\\567 def\\345 \pqr\\567 \xyz\\234 Here, i need to do 2 things. 1. replace \\ with \ 2. remove starting \ so output to be as below: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing string with special characters in shell

Hi, I am trying to replace a string in shell but it is not working correctly. @xcom.file@ needs to be replaced with tb137 Plz help.Thx. Please use and tags when posting code, data or logs etc. to preserve formatting and enhance readability, thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish72
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in replacing special characters

I am writing a ksh script. I need to replace a set of characters in an xml file. FROM="ÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖØÙÛÚÜÝßàáâãäåçèéêëìíîïðñòóôõö¿¶ø®"; TO="AAAAAAACEEEEIIIIDNOOOOOOUUUUYSaaaaaaceeeeiiiionooooo N R" I have used the code- sed 's/$FROM/$TO/g'<abc.xml But its not working. Can anyone tell me the code to do this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saga20
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing valuses containig space and special characters

**Extremely sorry for the typos in heading Old:CAST ('${DEFAULT_HIGH_DATE}' AS DATE FORMAT 'YYYY-MM-DD') New :CAST(CAST('${G_DEFAULT_HIGH_DATE}' AS DATE FORMAT 'MM-DD-YYYY') as DATE FORMAT 'YYYY-MM-DD') Need to change old format as new format cat file1 CAST ('${DEFAULT_HIGH_DATE}' AS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 100bees
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl split string separated by special character

Hello I have string (string can have more sections) LINE="AA;BB;CC;DD;EE"I would like to assigne each part of string separated by ";" to some new variable. Can someone help? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikus
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replacing string/special characters using a 'conversion' table

Hi, Does anyone know if there is a script or program available out there that uses a conversion table to replace special characters from a file? I am trying to remove some special characters from a file but there are several unprintable/control characters that some I need to remove but some I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delimit the fields of a input file which has special characters?

Hi All, I am a newbie to Shell scripting. I have a requirement to Delimit the file fields of a Input file having special characters and spaces with ";". Input File ---------------------------------- Server Port ---------------------------------- Local ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Suganbabu
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Any tip to replacing the special characters in a file

Hi, Please find attached a file that has special characters on it. It is a copy and paste from a Micro$oft file. I don't want to use strings as it remove all the 'indentations' / 'formatting' so I am replacing them with space instead. I am using the sed command below sed "s/$(printf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to extract fields from a CSV i.e comma separated where some of the fields having comma as value?

can anyone help me!!!! How to I parse the CSV file file name : abc.csv (csv file) The above file containing data like abv,sfs,,hju,',',jkk wff,fst,,rgr,',',rgr ere,edf,erg,',',rgr,rgr I have a requirement like i have to extract different field and assign them into different... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: J.Jena
4 Replies
MHMAIL(1)							     [nmh-1.5]								 MHMAIL(1)

NAME
mhmail - send or read mail SYNOPSIS
mhmail [addrs ...] [-body text] [-cc addrs ...] [-from addr] [-subject subject] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
mhmail is intended as a replacement for the standard Berkeley mail program (mail or mailx), which is compatible with nmh. This program is intended for the use of programs such as cron, which expect to send mail automatically to various users. It is also used by various nmh commands to mail various error notifications. Although mhmail can be used interactively, it is recommended that comp and send be used instead to send messages. When invoked without arguments, it simply invokes inc to incorporate new messages from the user's maildrop. When one or more users is specified, a message is read from the standard input and spooled to a temporary file. mhmail then invokes post with the name of the tempo- rary file as its argument to deliver the message to the specified user. The -subject subject switch can be used to specify the "Subject:" field of the message. By default, mhmail will read the message to be sent from the standard input. You can specify the text of the message at the command line with the -body text switch. If the standard input has zero length, mhmail will not send the message. You can use the switch -body "" to force an empty message. Normally, addresses appearing as arguments are put in the "To:" field. If the -cc switch is used, all addresses following it are placed in the "cc:" field. By using -from addr, you can specify the "From:" header of the draft. Naturally, post will fill-in the "Sender:" header correctly. FILES
/usr/bin/mh/inc Program to incorporate maildrop into folder /usr/lib/mh/post Program to deliver a message /tmp/mhmail* Temporary copy of message SEE ALSO
inc(1), post(8) DEFAULTS
None CONTEXT
If inc is invoked, then inc's context changes occur. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 MHMAIL(1)