Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Shell Script behaviour and syntax Post 303045796 by Cybora on Monday 13th of April 2020 03:45:46 PM
Old 04-13-2020
Shell Script behaviour and syntax

Here are the 3 scripts(FirstScrpt.sh,firstcallScrpt.sh,startProcess.sh) that were running in the server for the past several years.
I understand the way it is written is that for every 1 hour 'firstcallScript.sh' is being called in that it kills the pid of 'startProcess.sh'
and starts again.

2 things I noticed
1. Value of pid.txt never changes if it is being is killed and created every hour.
2. It never runs in the background even when it is run with '&' like (./FirstScrpt.sh &)

FirstScrpt.sh
Code:
#!/bin/bash

if [ $# -ne 1 ]
then
	echo "Usage:  $0 test|prod"
	exit 1
fi
envRun=$1

echo "Level is :  ${envRun}"
	while [ 1 ]
	do
	cat pid.txt | xargs -l1 kill
	./firstcallScript.sh ${envRun}
	sleep 3600
	done

firstCallScript.sh
Code:
#!/bin/bash

if [ $# -ne 1 ]
then
	echo "Usage:  $0 test|prod"
	exit 1
fi
envRun=$1

if [ $envRun = "test" ] 
then
  echo "Level is  :  ${envRun}"
     ./startProcess.sh ${envRun}

else
   echo "Level is test Invoke test script :  ${envRun}"
   	./startProcess.sh ${envRun}

fi

startProcess.sh

Code:
#!/bin/bash 
envRun=$1
echo "${envRun}"
echo "I'm a Linux user."
echo $! > pid.txt

Last edited by Cybora; 04-13-2020 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: Edited the firstScript for 1 hour of sleep

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

any explanation for thsi shell script behaviour

hello whats the difference between excuting a shell script as a)sh myscript.sh b). ./myscript.sh i noticed that my shell script works fine when i run it as . ./myscript .sh but fails when i run it as sh myscript.sh could anybody explain why. the shell script is very simple ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script syntax checker

I have a rather big script that i have written in ksh and it is falling over in two places with a 'test argument' error. I know this usually means that the if statement is not correct, but it is fine. I have looked through the rest of the script for any odd brackets or ` marks, but can't see... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: handak9
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic Shell script syntax help

Hi All, I am new to shell scripting. I have a variable which holds a numeric value.I have to check whether this variable holds a value between(0- 8),(8-17)(17-24).How do i write this syntax using if in shell scripting. Thanks Vignesh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vignesh53
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Check Shell script syntax w/o executing

Hello All, I looking for a way to verify the correction of shell script syntax. Is there any switch like -c in perl which do this in shell ? Thank You. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alalush
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Syntax Shell-Script

Hi Guys, iīve a question ... but itīs a litte bit tricky: iīve a 3 php-scripts which runīs via cron at night. These script reads an xml-file a writes it in an MySQL-DB. I named them (for example here ) Script1 - Script3. The XML-Files i named xml1 - xml3. Now, iīve build a Batch-file,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackcracker
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error calling TCL script from shell script

hello everyone i am beginner on shell scripting .and i am working on my project work on ad hoc network i wrote a batch (.sh) to do a looping and execute a tcl script i wrote before in each iteration ..but i got this problem " syntax error near unexpected token `('... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marcoss90
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script | bc syntax format

sorry but need help http://i.investopedia.com/inv/articles/site/CalculationEMA.gif trying to achieve ema in script I have this syntax which errors ema=` ; the 0.153846154 ='s Smoothing Factor really appreciate help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harte
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error in shell script

I am creating a shell script. In which, I need to get server name and server IP. I used this command in script. servername=`cat /etc/hosts|grep `eval hostname`|awk '{print $2}'` however, when execute script or put set -x to debug, it return: line 13: syntax error at line 13: `|' unexpected... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash syntax behaviour : [[ vs [

Hello. In the following : RESTORE_FF contain a file name : a_file.tar.gz I am testing in a directory if "a_file.tar.gz" exists and or if any file like "a_file.tar.gz" exists. So "a_file.tar.gz" will give me file exists So "a_file.tar.gz." will give me file exists So... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with if statement syntax in shell script

I want to make the file test condition a variable ($Prmshn in code below). My goal is to use something like the first three unsuccessful if statetments since the 'if #!/bin/ksh test_input() { Prmshn=${1} InFLNm=${2} ifReq="-$Prmshn $InFLNm" #the following three if statments fail: #if ] ;... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ms63707
10 Replies
xlator_call(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    xlator_call(8)

Name
       xlator_call - shell script to invoke PostScript translators

Syntax
       xlator_call datatype orientation pagesize width length indent

Description
       This  Bourne  shell script can be called by the line printer daemon to invoke the appropriate translator to convert each data type to Post-
       Script.	The data type passed by may be specified by using the command with the -Ddatatype option, or by using the  Da=datatype	capability
       in the file.

For a file in a data syntax to be translated to PostScript, the script must contain a case branch which recognizes the data type string and
       calls a suitable filter.  The supplied recognizes the ANSI, ASCII, ReGIS and Tektronix 4014 data types.

Arguments
       datatype
       The valid data types are: or any other for which a translator has been installed.

orientation
       The valid orientations are: portrait or landscape.

pagesize
       The valid page sizes are: or

width
       The width (in characters) of the page.

length
       The length (in lines) of the page.

indent
       The amount (in spaces) the output is to be indented.

All the valid arguments are described in detail by the reference page.

Examples
       An example shell script is shown below:
       case $datatype in
       ansi)
	    exec ansi_ps -F $pagesize -O $orientation -e "$@";;
       ascii)
	    echo "(04) cvn {} def"
	    exec ln03rof -w$width -l$length -i$indent;;
       postscript)
	    exec cat;;
       tek4014)
	    exec tek4014_ps -F $pagesize -O $orientation;;
       regis)
	    exec regis_ps -F $pagesize -O $orientation;;
       *)
	    echo "$0: Translator for data type $datatype not installed" >&2
       esac

When the shell script is called, the path searched is:
       /usr/local/lib/lpdfilters:/usr/ucb:/bin:/usr/bin:
				   /usr/lib:/usr/lib/lpdfilters

Files
       The				       script

See Also
       lno3rof(8), printcap(5), ansi_ps(8), lpd(8)

xlator_call(8)