Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers CSV file opens with data in a single column Post 303045721 by looty on Friday 10th of April 2020 04:01:01 PM
Old 04-10-2020
CSV file opens with data in a single column

CSV file opens with data in a single column. Please help me to resolve this issue.

I have a file in the name of test1.csv with the content as below
Code:
xxxx|0001|rose
yyyy|8768|lotus
fgsh|6543|lilly

actually this should be the "|" delimited file with 3 clomun, but when we print $1, all the columns comes as first column as below
cat test1.csv|awk '{print $1}'
Code:
xxxx|0001|rose
yyyy|8768|lotus
fgsh|6543|lilly

but when we print $1 result should be as below
Code:
xxxx
yyyy
fgsh

if we print $2, result should be
Code:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need to get single column form csv file

hi 2 all i need to get single column from one csv file anyone help me ! >cat file.csv name,age x,1 y,2 z,3 Use code tags please, ty. in this "file.csv" file i need only name column can u help me !:b::b: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ponmuthu
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Excel file attachment showing data in single column

Hi All, found similar posts, but not exatcly what i wanted. I have an text file like below and am trying to send mail as an excel file but when i get the excel file as the attachment, all the data is coming in the first column. I need below data in 4 columns. Unix file Name,ID,Trade,Date... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: robinbannis
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use sed on column (csv) file if data in colmns is greater > than?

I have a data file that has 14 columns. I cannot use awk or perl but sed is installed on my host. I would like to delete a line if fields 10, 11 or twelve is greater than 999.99. How is this done using sed? :wall: sed '/^*,*,*,*,*,*,*,*,*,*,*,*,*,*,/d' infile 1 2 3 4 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chris Eagleson
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help combining txt files w/ multiple lines into csv single cell - also need data merge

:confused:Hello -- i just joined the forums. I am a complete noob -- only about 1 week into learning how to program anything... and starting with linux. I am working in Linux terminal. I have a folder with a bunch of txt files. Each file has several lines of html code. I want to combine... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jetsetter
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for extracting data from csv file based on column values.

Hi all, I am new to shell script.I need your help to write a shell script. I need to write a shell script to extract data from a .csv file where columns are ',' separated. The file has 5 columns having values say column 1,column 2.....column 5 as below along with their valuesm.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vivekit82
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating CSV from Column data

Hi List, I have a chunk of data like so: User Account Control: User Account Control: User Account Control: User Account Control: Disabled User Account Control: User Account Control: User Account Control: Disabled User Account Control: User Account Control: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: landossa
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter more data in single column

Hi All, One of my source file column name RelationshipNumber. I need to filter below mentioned records in RelationshipNumber column. RelationshipNumber: S45678 D89763 Y09246579 A91234 If it is available in above mentioned column, then I need to print the entire line from my source... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh_target
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 files of csv file and match column data and create a new csv file of them

Hi, I am newbie in shell script. I need your help to solve my problem. Firstly, I have 2 files of csv and i want to compare of the contents then the output will be written in a new csv file. File1: SourceFile,DateTimeOriginal /home/intannf/foto/IMG_0713.JPG,2015:02:17 11:14:07... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: refrain
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste 2 single column files to a single file

Hi, I have 2 csv/txt files with single columns. I am trying to merge them using paste, but its not working.. output3.csv: flowerbomb everlon-jewelry sofft steve-madden dolce-gabbana-watchoutput2.csv: http://www1.abc.com/cms/slp/2/Flowerbomb http://www1.abc.com/cms/slp/2/Everlon-Jewelry... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayakunuri
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to separate data coming in one column of CSV file?

I am running an ISQL command on Sybase DB and getting output of a query in an CSV file. The issue is that all the data comes in to the same column, i want them to be separated in different columns. SQL_COMMAND=command.sql file=file.txt formatFile=formatFile.txt report=report.csv echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sharma331
1 Replies
SPLFILEOBJECT.FPUTCSV(3)						 1						  SPLFILEOBJECT.FPUTCSV(3)

SplFileObject::fputcsv - Write a field array as a CSV line

SYNOPSIS
public int SplFileObject::fputcsv (array $fields, [string $delimiter = ","], [string $enclosure = '"'], [string $escape = " DESCRIPTION
Writes the $fields array to the file as a CSV line. PARAMETERS
o $fields - An array of values. o $delimiter - The optional $delimiter parameter sets the field delimiter (one character only). o $enclosure - The optional $enclosure parameter sets the field enclosure (one character only). o $escape - The optional $escape parameter sets the escape character (one character only). RETURN VALUES
Returns the length of the written string or FALSE on failure. Returns FALSE, and does not write the CSV line to the file, if the $delimiter or $enclosure parameter is not a single character. ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS An E_WARNING level error is issued if the $delimiter or $enclosure parameter is not a single character. CHANGELOG
+--------------+-------------------------------+ | Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------------+-------------------------------+ |5.5.21, 5.6.5 | | | | | | | Added the $escape parameter. | | | | +--------------+-------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 SplFileObject::fputcsv example <?php $list = array ( array('aaa', 'bbb', 'ccc', 'dddd'), array('123', '456', '789'), array('"aaa"', '"bbb"') ); $file = new SplFileObject('file.csv', 'w'); foreach ($list as $fields) { $file->fputcsv($fields); } ?> The above example will write the following to file.csv: aaa,bbb,ccc,dddd 123,456,789 """aaa""","""bbb""" SEE ALSO
fputcsv(3), SplFileObject::fgetcsv. PHP Documentation Group SPLFILEOBJECT.FPUTCSV(3)