Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers CSV file opens with data in a single column Post 303045721 by looty on Friday 10th of April 2020 04:01:01 PM
Old 04-10-2020
CSV file opens with data in a single column

CSV file opens with data in a single column. Please help me to resolve this issue.

I have a file in the name of test1.csv with the content as below
Code:
xxxx|0001|rose
yyyy|8768|lotus
fgsh|6543|lilly

actually this should be the "|" delimited file with 3 clomun, but when we print $1, all the columns comes as first column as below
cat test1.csv|awk '{print $1}'
Code:
xxxx|0001|rose
yyyy|8768|lotus
fgsh|6543|lilly

but when we print $1 result should be as below
Code:
xxxx
yyyy
fgsh

if we print $2, result should be
Code:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need to get single column form csv file

hi 2 all i need to get single column from one csv file anyone help me ! >cat file.csv name,age x,1 y,2 z,3 Use code tags please, ty. in this "file.csv" file i need only name column can u help me !:b::b: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ponmuthu
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Excel file attachment showing data in single column

Hi All, found similar posts, but not exatcly what i wanted. I have an text file like below and am trying to send mail as an excel file but when i get the excel file as the attachment, all the data is coming in the first column. I need below data in 4 columns. Unix file Name,ID,Trade,Date... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: robinbannis
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use sed on column (csv) file if data in colmns is greater > than?

I have a data file that has 14 columns. I cannot use awk or perl but sed is installed on my host. I would like to delete a line if fields 10, 11 or twelve is greater than 999.99. How is this done using sed? :wall: sed '/^*,*,*,*,*,*,*,*,*,*,*,*,*,*,/d' infile 1 2 3 4 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chris Eagleson
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help combining txt files w/ multiple lines into csv single cell - also need data merge

:confused:Hello -- i just joined the forums. I am a complete noob -- only about 1 week into learning how to program anything... and starting with linux. I am working in Linux terminal. I have a folder with a bunch of txt files. Each file has several lines of html code. I want to combine... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jetsetter
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for extracting data from csv file based on column values.

Hi all, I am new to shell script.I need your help to write a shell script. I need to write a shell script to extract data from a .csv file where columns are ',' separated. The file has 5 columns having values say column 1,column 2.....column 5 as below along with their valuesm.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vivekit82
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating CSV from Column data

Hi List, I have a chunk of data like so: User Account Control: User Account Control: User Account Control: User Account Control: Disabled User Account Control: User Account Control: User Account Control: Disabled User Account Control: User Account Control: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: landossa
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter more data in single column

Hi All, One of my source file column name RelationshipNumber. I need to filter below mentioned records in RelationshipNumber column. RelationshipNumber: S45678 D89763 Y09246579 A91234 If it is available in above mentioned column, then I need to print the entire line from my source... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh_target
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 files of csv file and match column data and create a new csv file of them

Hi, I am newbie in shell script. I need your help to solve my problem. Firstly, I have 2 files of csv and i want to compare of the contents then the output will be written in a new csv file. File1: SourceFile,DateTimeOriginal /home/intannf/foto/IMG_0713.JPG,2015:02:17 11:14:07... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: refrain
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste 2 single column files to a single file

Hi, I have 2 csv/txt files with single columns. I am trying to merge them using paste, but its not working.. output3.csv: flowerbomb everlon-jewelry sofft steve-madden dolce-gabbana-watchoutput2.csv: http://www1.abc.com/cms/slp/2/Flowerbomb http://www1.abc.com/cms/slp/2/Everlon-Jewelry... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayakunuri
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to separate data coming in one column of CSV file?

I am running an ISQL command on Sybase DB and getting output of a query in an CSV file. The issue is that all the data comes in to the same column, i want them to be separated in different columns. SQL_COMMAND=command.sql file=file.txt formatFile=formatFile.txt report=report.csv echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sharma331
1 Replies
DBD::File(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					      DBD::File(3)

NAME
DBD::File - Base class for writing DBI drivers SYNOPSIS
This module is a base class for writing other DBDs. It is not intended to function as a DBD itself. If you want to access flatfiles, use DBD::AnyData, or DBD::CSV, (both of which are subclasses of DBD::File). DESCRIPTION
The DBD::File module is not a true DBI driver, but an abstract base class for deriving concrete DBI drivers from it. The implication is, that these drivers work with plain files, for example CSV files or INI files. The module is based on the SQL::Statement module, a simple SQL engine. See DBI for details on DBI, SQL::Statement for details on SQL::Statement and DBD::CSV or DBD::IniFile for example drivers. Metadata The following attributes are handled by DBI itself and not by DBD::File, thus they all work like expected: Active ActiveKids CachedKids CompatMode (Not used) InactiveDestroy Kids PrintError RaiseError Warn (Not used) The following DBI attributes are handled by DBD::File: AutoCommit Always on ChopBlanks Works NUM_OF_FIELDS Valid after "$sth-"execute> NUM_OF_PARAMS Valid after "$sth-"prepare> NAME Valid after "$sth-"execute>; undef for Non-Select statements. NULLABLE Not really working, always returns an array ref of one's, as DBD::CSV doesn't verify input data. Valid after "$sth-"execute>; undef for Non-Select statements. These attributes and methods are not supported: bind_param_inout CursorName LongReadLen LongTruncOk Additional to the DBI attributes, you can use the following dbh attribute: f_dir This attribute is used for setting the directory where CSV files are opened. Usually you set it in the dbh, it defaults to the current directory ("."). However, it is overwritable in the statement handles. f_ext This attribute is used for setting the file extension where (CSV) files are opened. There are several possibilities. DBI:CSV:f_dir=data;f_ext=.csv In this case, DBD::File will open only "table.csv" if both "table.csv" and "table" exist in the datadir. The table will still be named "table". If your datadir has files with extensions, and you do not pass this attribute, your table is named "table.csv", which is probably not what you wanted. The extension is always case-insensitive. The table names are not. DBI:CSV:f_dir=data;f_ext=.csv/r In this case the extension is required, and all filenames that do not match are ignored. f_schema This will set the schema name. Default is the owner of the folder in which the table file resides. "undef" is allowed. my $dbh = DBI->connect ("dbi:CSV:", "", "", { f_schema => undef, f_dir => "data", f_ext => ".csv/r", }) or die $DBI::errstr; The effect is that when you get table names from DBI, you can force all tables into the same (or no) schema: my @tables $dbh->tables (); # no f_schema "merijn".foo "merijn".bar # f_schema => "dbi" "dbi".foo "dbi".bar # f_schema => undef foo bar Driver private methods data_sources The "data_sources" method returns a list of subdirectories of the current directory in the form "DBI:CSV:f_dir=$dirname". If you want to read the subdirectories of another directory, use my ($drh) = DBI->install_driver ("CSV"); my (@list) = $drh->data_sources (f_dir => "/usr/local/csv_data" ); list_tables This method returns a list of file names inside $dbh->{f_dir}. Example: my ($dbh) = DBI->connect ("DBI:CSV:f_dir=/usr/local/csv_data"); my (@list) = $dbh->func ("list_tables"); Note that the list includes all files contained in the directory, even those that have non-valid table names, from the view of SQL. KNOWN BUGS
o The module is using flock () internally. However, this function is not available on all platforms. Using flock () is disabled on MacOS and Windows 95: There's no locking at all (perhaps not so important on MacOS and Windows 95, as there's a single user anyways). AUTHOR
This module is currently maintained by H.Merijn Brand < h.m.brand at xs4all.nl > and Jens Rehsack < rehsack at googlemail.com > The original author is Jochen Wiedmann. COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2009 by H.Merijn Brand & Jens Rehsack Copyright (C) 2004 by Jeff Zucker Copyright (C) 1998 by Jochen Wiedmann All rights reserved. You may freely distribute and/or modify this module under the terms of either the GNU General Public License (GPL) or the Artistic License, as specified in the Perl README file. SEE ALSO
DBI, Text::CSV, Text::CSV_XS, SQL::Statement perl v5.12.1 2009-06-05 DBD::File(3)