Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Manipulate o/p of a Linux command Post 303045612 by garyT on Friday 3rd of April 2020 10:27:21 AM
Old 04-03-2020
Manipulate o/p of a Linux command

Hi All,

I am having a heck of a time.

I have runaway processes that are hanging my rpm databases, and I have to issue kill commands.

Presently, I am outputting to a tmp file and manually putting in the kill command. but would like to automate it by the process id.

So, right now I am doing a pgrep -l rpm >/tmp/rpm

the o/p is

302 rpm
305 rpm
313 rpm
with about 9,000 processes behind it.

I would like it to be kill 302 305 313, etc.

if that is not possible.

kill 302

kill 305
etc.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks
gary

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulate files

Hi everybody: I have a problem. I have a output files which have this pattern: number1 --space block1a - 7rows/10columns/65elements --space block1b - 7rows/10columns/65elements --space block1c - 7rows/10columns/65elements --space number2 --space block2a - 7rows/10columns/65elements... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonet
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed command to find, manipulate and replace a number

Hi, Im very new to the world of sed so I'm really not even sure if this is possible. What i need to do is read from a flat file and every time i see this line: VAL=123,456 I need to change 456 to 457 for every occurence of this line in the file. The numbers 123 and 456 are different for... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LT_2008
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

manipulate & format the output of spool command

Hi All, I am spooling the data some sql queries into a single file but wanted to know how to format the data of the file generated by spool. #!/bin/sh unset -f USAGE USAGE () { clear echo "############################USAGE#######################\n" echo "Incorrect number of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss_ss
2 Replies

4. Programming

Manipulate the Linux ARP Cache in C

Hello, I need help on how to "access" or manipulate the Linux ARP Cache in C, here is the description of the project i'm working in: There are a lot of tools that analize ARP frames and send an e-mail to the sysadmin, that's easy. What i want to do is to inspect every ARP frame that arrives... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: semash!
18 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to manipulate csv file in UNIX

Hi, I am new to awk/unix and am trying to put together a script to manipulate the date column in a csv file. I have file1.csv with the following contents: Date,ID,Number,Amount,Volume,Size 01-Apr-2014,WERFG,998,105873.96,10873.96,1342.11 01-Apr-2014,POYFR,267,5681.44,5681.44,462.96 I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prit Siv
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to manipulate csv file in UNIX

Hi, I am new to awk and unix programming and trying to manipulate a csv file. My current csv file looks like this: col1,col2,col3,col4,col5,col4,col5,col6,col7,col8 223,V,c,2,4,f,r,,y,z 223,V,c,3,2,f,r,,y,z 223,V,c,1,4,f,r,,y,z 223,V,c,4,3,f,r,,y,z 227,V,c,3,1,f,r,,y,z... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prit Siv
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Simple sed command not working; could be a Mac/Linux vs. PC/Linux issue

Hello, I am on a Mac and trying to clean up some monthly files with a very simple SED: sed '3,10d;/<ACROSS>/,$d' input.txt > output.txt (from the input, delete lines 3 - 10; then delete from the line containing <ACROSS> to the end of the file) then output to output.txt Even when I try... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: verbatim
2 Replies
Alien::Package::Rpm(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Alien::Package::Rpm(3pm)

NAME
Alien::Package::Rpm - an object that represents a rpm package DESCRIPTION
This is an object class that represents a rpm package. It is derived from Alien::Package. FIELDS
prefixes Relocatable rpm packages have a prefixes field. METHODS
checkfile Detect rpm files by their extention. install Install a rpm. If RPMINSTALLOPT is set in the environement, the options in it are passed to rpm on its command line. scan Implement the scan method to read a rpm file. unpack Implement the unpack method to unpack a rpm file. This is a little nasty because it has to handle relocatable rpms and has to do a bit of permissions fixing as well. prep Prepare for package building by generating the spec file. cleantree Delete the spec file. build Build a rpm. If RPMBUILDOPT is set in the environement, the options in it are passed to rpm on its command line. An optional parameter, if passed, can be used to specify the program to use to build the rpm. It defaults to rpmbuild. version Set/get version. When retreiving the version, remove any dashes in it. postinst postrm preinst prerm Set/get script fields. When retrieving a value, we have to do some truely sick mangling. Since debian/slackware scripts can be anything -- perl programs or binary files -- and rpm is limited to only shell scripts, we need to encode the files and add a scrap of shell script to make it unextract and run on the fly. When setting a value, we do some mangling too. Rpm maintainer scripts are typically shell scripts, but often lack the leading shebang line. This can confuse dpkg, so add the shebang if it looks like there is no shebang magic already in place. Additionally, it's not uncommon for rpm maintainer scripts to contain bashisms, which can be triggered when they are ran on systems where /bin/sh is not bash. To work around this, the shebang line of the scripts is changed to use bash. Also, if the rpm is relocatable, the script could refer to RPM_INSTALL_PREFIX, which is set by rpm at run time. Deal with this by adding code to the script to set RPM_INSTALL_PREFIX. arch Set/get arch field. When the arch field is set, some sanitizing is done first to convert it to the debian format used internally. When it's retreived it's converted back to rpm form from the internal form. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> perl v5.14.2 2011-08-05 Alien::Package::Rpm(3pm)