Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Shell Script for "Password Management" Post 303045513 by sea on Saturday 28th of March 2020 12:34:54 PM
Old 03-28-2020
I'd have a basic tryout-draft...
Where I 'currently' 'fail' using LUKS (properly ; cryptsetup) to "mount" an encrypted file to a folder.
Currently as in: havent looked at the file for five years and gave it one quick shot today before I had to leave.

As it is right now (fallback), it allows you to mount a file that will contain the password file (anything for that matter).

So, not yet encrypted, but at least not as a loose file.

But it will require sudo rights for your account / at least for mount.

So I'm not sure if it would be of help?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No utpmx entry: you must exec "login" from lowest level "shell"

Hi I have installed solaris 10 on an intel machine. Logged in as root. In CDE, i open terminal session, type login alex (normal user account) and password and i get this message No utpmx entry: you must exec "login" from lowest level "shell" :confused: What i want is: open various... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterpan
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script that can give login password for "ssh" without involving STDIN

Hi Folks, I am writing a shell script that can logon to remote machine automatically. But, I am facing one problem. I am using "ssh" command in script and while login into remote machine it asks for passowrd and it stops for STDIN input for password. I want my script to supply password... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gydave
2 Replies

3. AIX

"too big" and "not enough memory" errors in shell script

Hi, This is odd, however here goes. There are several shell scripts that run in our production environment AIX 595 LPAR m/c, which has sufficient memory 14GB (physical memory) and horsepower 5CPUs. However from time to time we get the following errors in these shell scripts. The time when these... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Customize "change password" in unix shell

I want to customize the "change password" through unix shell. when a user's password is expired and he/she logs into shell next time he/she will be asked to change his/her password. At this time when the user provides new password instead of unix doing the "password change" action I want to call my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharmanikhilesh
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing username and password to a script running inside "expect" script

Hi I'm trying to run a script " abc.sh" which triggers "use.sh" . abc.sh is nothing but a "expect" script which provides username and password automatically to the use.sh script. Please find below the scripts: #abc.sh #!/usr/bin/expect -f exec /root/use.sh expect "*name*" send... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: baddykam
1 Replies

7. AIX

How to use 'expect' to pass UID & Password to a "for loop" in shell script?

Friends, Need someone's help in helping me with the below requirement for a script: > For a list of servers(over 100+), I need to login into each of them(cannot configure password-less ssh) & grab few configuration details < I know, this is possible through expect programming in a simple... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use 'expect' to pass UID & Password to a "for loop" in shell script?

Friends, Need someone's help in helping me with the below requirement for a script: > For a list of servers(over 100+), I need to login into each of them(cannot configure password-less ssh) & grab few configuration details < I know, this is possible through expect programming in a simple... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone please show me a very simple "expect" script to change password in Solaris please?

Ladies & Gents, Can one of you gurus please show me a very simple "expect" script to change the password in Solaris in a script, please? Nothing fancy, no error checking, no nothing. Just to change the password of a new user, it's all. Many thanks in advance. U guys have honestly earned my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hiroshi
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
mnthome(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						mnthome(1)

NAME
mnthome -- mount an AFP (AppleShare) home directory with the correct privileges SYNOPSIS
mnthome [-v] [-d] [-m mntpath] [-n] [-b] [-p password] [-i] [-x mount point] [-u] [-s] DESCRIPTION
The mnthome command unmounts the AFP (AppleShare) home directory that was automounted as guest, and remounts it with the correct privileges by logging into the AFP server using the current username and password. This command also allows you to have guest access turned off on your AFP server too and still have AFP home directories work with "su". When you ssh into another computer using an account that has an AFP home directory or you "su <netuser>" where <netuser> is an AFP home directory user, then the resulting home directory will not have the correct access privileges. This is because automount is assuming NFS behavior which assumes that all computers share the same user/group privileges and mounts volumes using "no security" and lets the client enforce privileges based on the current user. AFP is different since the privileges are based on the user that logged into the server. Since automount does not put up an authentication dialog asking for an user name and password, automount mounts the fileserver using guest login. Thus you end up with getting the world access privileges and the privileges are shown via "mapping". You also would have to allow guest access to the server to that sharepoint. Mapping makes all the files/folders appear like they are owned by the current user. Even those items not really owned by the current user show up as being owned by the current user. The server provides user access rights (UARights) which is a summary of what the access rights are regardless of the category (owner, group, world) from which they were obtained. When doing "mapping", the AppleShare client will take these UARights and show them as the owner rights. So, everything looks like it is owned by the current user and the owner rights are set to the UARights. Thus if you had access to that file/folder before, then you still do. The options are: -v Display version number. -d Print debugging information. -m Alternative mount point is specified with the -m option followed by a path to an existing directory. Normally, the volume is mounted in /Network/Servers/ or /var/automount/Network/Servers/. -n Do not force the unmount of the previous mount point. -b Exec the user's shell after mount of home. -p A password may be specified with the -p option followed by a password. If this option is not used, then the user will be prompted to enter in a password. -i Display information about the AFP home mount point. -u Attempt to unmount the current home directory mount. -x This option must be followed by a path to an existing AFP mount point. Display information about the mount point. -s Skip preflight check to see if the currently mounted home directory is already correctly mounted for the user. EXAMPLES
The following example illustrates how to mount an AFP home directory: mnthome This example shows how to print the debugging information and provide a password: mnthome -d -p foobar SEE ALSO
mount(2), unmount(2), mount(8) mount_afp(8) BUGS
I get the mounting url from the "home_loc" attribute and the mountpath from the "home" attribute (with the path from home_loc subtracted out). If your AFP home directory automounts in a different location, then you need to use the -m option to specify an alternative mount point. I cant figure out how to cd out of the current home dir so I can do the unmount and then restore the user back into the new home dir. If you are in the AFP home directory when you use mnthome, you automatically get put back into that same directory when mnthome leaves. If mnthome works, then your current directory is a dead directory and you need to "cd ~" to get to your new home directory. If the server with the home directory was already mounted by another user, you will not be able to replace it with a mount made by your user id. The original mount must be first unmounted by the mounting user or root. HISTORY
The mnthome command first appeared Mac OS X version 10.3. RETURN VALUES
0 mnthome successfully remounted the AFP home directory. [EINVAL] Invalid arguements were passed in. [EPERM] The current AFP home directory could not be unmounted by mnthome because the current user does not have the correct access. The current AFP home directory was probably mounted by another user first. [EAUTH] Incorrect password. Mac OS X August 4, 2004 Mac OS X