Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unable to execute find command from inside a shell script Post 303045503 by mohtashims on Saturday 28th of March 2020 08:05:06 AM
Old 03-28-2020
I tried

Code:
#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/find /app/Jenkins/home/jobs/test1/builds -type d -mtime 1 -exec rm -rf {} \; 
/usr/bin/find /app/Jenkins/home/jobs/test2/builds -type d -mtime 1 -exec rm -rf {} \;

This works and deletes the folders but i get several error messages stating No such file or directory under "/app/Jenkins/home/jobs/test2/builds". Can you please explain why and what is a good approach to avoid such warning messages ?

I'm also curious to learn why exec would work while pipe xargs would not !!

Last edited by mohtashims; 03-28-2020 at 09:13 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute command inside while problem

Hi! How can I execute a linux command inside the while cicle?? like: This doesn't work. Should I replace the by '' or "" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruben.rodrigues
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting files inside shell script - ( using find)

Hi, I am using the command find /apps/qualdb/gpcn/scripts/cab_outbound/archive -name 'z*' -mtime +28 -exec rm {} \; in unix command prompt for deleting the files in my unix system under the specfied folder. It was succesfull. But when i running this command inside a shell script name... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jayaram.Nambura
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute a shell script after a particular command is run

Hi, I need to run a script whenever the Cron file is modified. The requirement is whenever a user modifies the cron file, the script should run automatically. Can you please provide your inputs ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: harneet2004us
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to monitor a command inside shell script

Hi All, Is there any way to monitor a command inside shell script ? I have a script inside which I have a tar command which zips around 200GB data. tar zcvf $Bckp_Dir/$Box-BaseBackup-$Day.tar.gz * --exclude 'dbserver_logs/*' --exclude postmaster.pid --exclude 'pg_xlog/*' I want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sussus2326
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to execute the complete cmd - using find command

Hi, I'm unable to execute the below command completely ; it's not allowing me to type the complete command. It is allowing till "xargs" and i cannot even press enter after that. I'm using Solaris. Let me know if anything needs to be added so as to execute the complete command. Appreciate... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

When i am trying to execute export command within a shell script it is saying command not found.

I am running the export command within a view to use that value inside my build script. But while executing it it is saying "export command not found" My code is as follows: -------------------------- #!/bin/sh user="test" DIR="/bldtmp/"$user VIEW="test.view1" echo "TMPDIR before export... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchoudhury
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can i use if else inside expect command in shell script?

hii,, I am trying to automate jira. during my scripting using bash script, in the terminal i got the terminal message like this: "Configure which ports JIRA will use. JIRA requires two TCP ports that are not being used by any other applications on this machine. The HTTP port is where you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nithinfluent
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find whether a particular command has failed inside an sftp script?

hi, how can i know whether a command inside an sftp script has failed or not? i have a sftp expect script #!/usr/bin/expect spawn /usr/bin/sftp abc@ftp.abc.com expect "sftp>" send "cd dir\r" expect "sftp>" send "mput abc.txt\r" expect "sftp>" send "mput def.xls\r" expect "sftp>"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute a command inside a while loop?

How do we execute a command inside a while loop? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to pass shell script variable to awk command in same shell script

I have a shell script (.sh) and I want to pass a parameter value to the awk command but I am getting exception, please assist. diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashunayak
2 Replies
fvwm-menu-directory(1)						  Fvwm Utilities					    fvwm-menu-directory(1)

NAME
fvwm-menu-directory - builds a directory browsing menu for fvwm SYNOPSIS
fvwm-menu-directory [ --help|-h|-? ] [ --version|-V ] [ --name|-na NAME ] [ --title|-t NAME ] [ --item|-it NAME ] [ --icon-title|-icon-t XPM ] [ --icon-dir|-icon-d XPM ] [ --icon-file|-icon-f XPM ] [ --icon-app|-icon-a XPM ] [ --wm-icons ] [ --dir|-d NAME ] [ --order|-o NUM ] [ --[no]all|-a ] [ --[no]links|-l ] [ --xterm|-x CMD ] [ --exec-title|-exec-t CMD ] [ --exec-file|-exec-f CMD ] [ --exec-app|-exec-a [CMD] ] [ --command-title|-command-t CMD ] [ --command-file|-command-f CMD ] [ --command-app|-command-a CMD ] [ --[no]reuse|-r ] [ --[no]check-subdirs|-ch ] [ --special-dirs|-s [VALUE] ] [ --[no]memory-for-speed|-mem ] [ --menu-style|-men NAME ] [ --func-name|-f NAME ] DESCRIPTION
A perl script which provides an output to read in with PipeRead to build an fvwm menu containing a directory listing. Almost everything can be configured. HINTS
The title item with its own attached action is usually added to the menu. This may be used to define an action for the directory for which the menu is built, such as starting a terminal in this directory (the default). However, this may annoy some users. To disable the title action use --command-title "", to remove the title completely use --title "". OPTIONS
--help show the usage and exit --version show version and exit --name name menu name, used only with --reuse, default is MenuBrowser --title title menu title format, default is '%*-40p' - last 40 characters of the current full path. TAB can be specified as ' ', but in .fvwm2rc you should specify a double backslash or a real TAB. Format specifiers: %d - the current directory name %p - the current directory full path These specifiers can receive an optional integer size, positive for right adjusted string or negative for left adjusted, example: %8x; and optional *num or *-num, which means to leave only the first or last (if minus) num of chars, the num must be greater than 3, since the striped part is replaced with "...", example: %*30x. Both can be combined: %-10*-20x, this instructs to get only the 20 last characters, but if the length is less then 10 - to fill with up to 10 spaces on the right. --item format menu item format, default is '%n'. TAB and width modifiers for %n, %N and %s can be specified as described in --title above. Note, specifying a non default format slows the script. Format specifiers: %n - file/dir name (without the path) %N - file/dir name (full with the path) %d - file/dir date (yyyy-mm-dd HH:MM:SS) %D - file/dir date (yyyy-mm-dd) %s - file/dir size (in bytes) %t - file/dir type (File|Dir |Link|Sock|Blck|Char|Pipe) %T - file/dir type (F|D|L|S|B|C|P) Example: --title '%*-40p Date, Type Size' --item '%*40n %d %t %s' --icon-title icon menu title icon, default is none --icon-dir icon menu dir icon, default is none --icon-file icon menu file icon, default is none --icon-app icon menu application icon, default is none --wm-icons define icon names suitable for use with wm-icons package. Currently this is equivalent to: --icon-title menu/folder-open.xpm --icon-item menu/file.xpm --icon-dir menu/folder.xpm --icon-app menu/utility.xpm. --dir dir starting dir, default is ${HOME-.} --order number in the range (-6 .. 6), default is 5: 1 - do not sort, 2 - dirs first, 3 - files first 4 - sort by name, 5 - dirs first, 6 - files first Negative number represents reverse order. --[no]all show hidden files, like in 'ls -A', default is --noall --[no]links follow linked directories, default is --nolinks --xterm command X terminal call, default is 'xterm -e' --exec-title command an fvwm Exec command on directory title (usually the shell), default is ${SHELL-/bin/sh}. '-' means no Exec command, i.e. Nop. If the command is not started with '^' X terminal call is prepended. The command is started in the currently browsed directory. --exec-file command an fvwm Exec command on regular files, default is ${EDITOR-vi}. '-' means no Exec command, i.e. Nop. If the command is not started with '^' X terminal call is prepended. The actual file name is appended to the command. --exec-app [command] an fvwm Exec command on +x files, default is '-', which means the same command as on regular files. If no command is given, it is assumed to be empty - simply run the +x file. If the command is not started with '^' X terminal call is prepended. The actual file name is appended to the command. --command-title command an fvwm command to execute on title. If this option is not given (or command is '-'), the "--exec-title" is used instead. In the command, %d is substituted with the full directory path. In fact, --exec-title=tcsh is equivalent to --command-title='Exec cd "%d"; xterm -e tcsh' The empty value disables the title action. --command-file command an fvwm command to execute on regular files. If this option is not given (or command is '-'), the "--exec-file" is used instead. In the command, %f is substituted with the full file path. In fact, --exec-file=vi is equivalent to --command-file='Exec xterm -e vi "%f"' --command-app command an fvwm command to execute on +x files. If this option is not given (or command is '-'), the "--command-app" is used instead. In the command, %f is substituted with the full file path. In fact, --exec-app=^exec is equivalent to --command-app='Exec exec "%f"' --[no]reuse no pop-up menus, reuse the same menu, default is --noreuse. When you specify this option the Menu action is used, not Popup. Also, the --name parameter is not ignored, and --dir parameter is ignored if there is ~/.fvwm/.fvwm-menu-directory.dir file. This file is only created or used with this option specified, it is the only solution for the current fvwm menu state. --[no]check-subdirs check all subdirs for having execute (+x) permission and replace "Popup"/"Menu" command with "Nop" for these without permissions. This has a visual effect of disabling popup triangle in the subdirectory item. The default is --nocheck-subdirs, because: 1) enabling this slows a bit the script, 2) with this option enabled, if no icons used and no dir/file separate sorting used there is no way to know that the item is directory and not file. --special-dirs value add .. or ~ or / special directories according to given optional value. Without with option these directories are not added. Default value if not specified is "1,2". The value is comma separated ordered special directory indexes, where 1 is parent directory, 2 is home directory, 3 is root directory. If minus is prepended to the value, special directories are added at the bottom of menu instead of top. Value "0" or any bad value is equivalent to non-specifying this option at all. --[no]memory-for-speed use speed optimization, i.e. use previously created directory menus without destroying it when closed, default is --nomemory-for-speed Warning: speed optimization takes up a lot of memory that is never free'd again while fvwm is running. --menu-style name assign MenuStyle name to the menus --func-name name overwrite the default MissingSubmenuFunction name that is "FuncFvwmMenuDirectory" Option parameters can be specified either using '=' or in the next argument. Short options are ok if not ambiguous: "-a", "-x", "-icon-f"; but be careful with short options, what is now unambiguous, can become ambiguous in the next versions. USAGE
Put this into your fvwm configuration file to invoke the script: AddToFunc FuncFvwmMenuDirectory + I PipeRead "fvwm-menu-directory -d '$0'" More complex example: # AddToFunc FuncFvwmMenuDirectory # + I PipeRead "fvwm-menu-directory -d '$0' -x 'Eterm -g 80x40 -e' \ -a -l -o 6 --exec-app --exec-title 'tcsh -l' --exec-file 'vim -R' \ -t 'Go to: %d' --wm-icons" And put this in the menu from which you want to pop-up the directory menus: AddToMenu SomeMenu MissingSubmenuFunction FuncFvwmMenuDirectory + "Home Directory" Popup $[HOME] + "Httpd Directory" Popup /home/httpd Note: please use absolute path names. It is a good idea to set the menu pop-up delay to something positive and enable busy cursor MenuStyle * PopupDelayed, PopupDelay 200 BusyCursor DynamicMenu True in your configuration file when using this script for better results. Another interesting usage ("--reuse" or "-r" is mandatary for this): AddToMenu Browser + DynamicPopupAction PipeRead \ "fvwm-menu-directory -r -na Browser -d / -s" AddToMenu SomeMenu "My Browser" Menu Browser Here the "--dir" parameter (starting directory) is ignored if there is ~/.fvwm/.fvwm-menu-directory.dir file, which you can delete. AUTHORS
Inspired on 1999-06-07 by Dominik Vogt <domivogt@fvwm.org>. Rewritten on 1999-08-05 by Mikhael Goikhman <migo@homemail.com>. COPYING
The script is distributed by the same terms as fvwm itself. See GNU General Public License for details. BUGS
Report bugs to fvwm-bug@fvwm.org. 2.5.28 (from cvs) 2009-03-22 fvwm-menu-directory(1)