Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Automating find and replace REGEX expressions in a script Post 303045492 by bedtime on Friday 27th of March 2020 04:39:27 PM
Old 03-27-2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by balajesuri
You may try perl. When it comes to regex and string parsing, perl handles them beautifully. Of course, doesn't mean you don't have other options.
Thank you. I've done just that. Perl seems to be the perfect tool for this issue.

Sorry for the late reply.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

automating file search and replace text

Hi, I am trying something like this: Let's say I have a file called File1 with contents: x=-0.3 y=2.1 z=9.0 I have another file, File2, with contents: xx= yy= zz= (nothing after "="). What I want to do is get the value of x in File1 and set it to xx in File2, i.e., xx=-0.3. And the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ommatidia
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

A simple find and replace without using any regex (bash)

Hi, I need to do an exact find and replace (I don't want to use regular expressions because the input comes from user). I want to find a line that matches the user's input text and replace it with an empty string. For example, let's say the user enters I love "Unix" and the contents of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanths
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search Replace with regular expressions

Hello I have this regular expression: </book>(?:\n)<collection>(.*)</collectioninfo> And I have this peace of text on a FILE <book bookid="3" title="the title 3" remaining = "50" price="100"> <reader readerid="1"><!]></reader> <reader readerid="2"><!]></reader> <reader... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dirdamalah
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular Expressions -- Find spaces outside

Hello, I need help with using grep and regular expressions.... I have a long list of about 1000 lines of Chinese flashcards. Here's a small excerpt: 意文 yìwén (given name) 貴姓 guìxìng (honorable surname) 貴 guì (honorable) 姓 xìng (one's surname is; to be surnamed; surname) 呢 ne (interrogative... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arduino411
2 Replies

5. Linux

A find and replace script

Hello everyone, I am trying to do a simple script (shell or perl) for a bioinformatic problem, where I want to use a list from file2 and append this information to file1 (output). Example: File1 >Apple1 GAGACGATTTATATATAGAAGAGAG >Banana2 CAGAGAGAGAGACCCCCCCCCCCC File2 >Apple1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: herasj01
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

FIND w/ multiple expressions

For reference i am still a newb at scripting, but i have what i think is a complex issue. I need to run a FIND on / to identify all files and print them to >> $TEMPFILE I need to avoid MVFS I need to avoid /var/tmp/nastmp/ I was trying find / \( -type d -name nastmp -prune \) -a \( -fstype... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find 2 expressions then print in a single line

Guys, need help. I have a file that contains something like this: abc def ghi jkl I want to print the first and last line of the file and the output should be in a single line. so, output should be like this: abc jkl (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solidhelix08
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Using find and regular expressions

Hi Could you please advise how can one extract from the output of find . -name "*.c" -print only filenames in the current direcotry and not in its subdirectories? I tried using (on Linux x86_64) find . -name "*.c" -prune but it is not giving correct output. Whereas I am getting... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinku981
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and Replace in Shell script

Friends, I have more than 1000 lines in text file which needs to be converted as UPPERCASE by adding _ com.sun.url=www.sun.com com.ssl.port=808 com.ui.path=/apps/ssi Expected output com.sun.url=_COM.SUN.URL_ com.ssl.port=_COM.SSL.PORT_ com.ui.path=_COM.UI.PATH_ Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baluchen
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed find multiple expressions plus next next line

Hello I am trying to write sed code where it will look through the text for lines with specific expression "Started by user" and when found, will also add the following line, and also lines with another expression "Finished:" sed -n '/Started by user/, +1p, /Finished:/'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlesny
4 Replies
MooseX::AttributeHelpers::String(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		     MooseX::AttributeHelpers::String(3pm)

NAME
MooseX::AttributeHelpers::String - string attribute type SYNOPSIS
package MyHomePage; use Moose; use MooseX::AttributeHelpers; has 'text' => ( metaclass => 'String', is => 'rw', isa => 'Str', default => sub { '' }, provides => { append => "add_text", replace => "replace_text", } ); my $page = MyHomePage->new(); $page->add_text("foo"); # same as $page->text($page->text . "foo"); DESCRIPTION
This module provides a simple string attribute, to which mutating string operations can be applied more easily (no need to make an lvalue attribute metaclass or use temporary variables). Additional methods are provided for completion. If your attribute definition does not include any of is, isa, default or provides but does use the "String" metaclass, then this module applies defaults as in the "SYNOPSIS" above. This allows for a very basic counter definition: has 'foo' => (metaclass => 'String'); $obj->append_foo; METHODS
meta method_provider has_method_provider helper_type process_options_for_provides Run before its superclass method. check_provides_values Run after its superclass method. PROVIDED METHODS
It is important to note that all those methods do in place modification of the value stored in the attribute. inc Increments the value stored in this slot using the magical string autoincrement operator. Note that Perl doesn't provide analogeous behavior in "--", so "dec" is not available. append $string Append a string, like ".=". prepend $string Prepend a string. replace $pattern $replacement Performs a regexp substitution ("s" in perlop). There is no way to provide the "g" flag, but code references will be accepted for the replacement, causing the regex to be modified with a single "e". "/smxi" can be applied using the "qr" operator. match $pattern Like replace but without the replacement. Provided mostly for completeness. "chop" "chop" in perlfunc "chomp" "chomp" in perlfunc "clear" Sets the string to the empty string (not the value passed to "default"). BUGS
All complex software has bugs lurking in it, and this module is no exception. If you find a bug please either email me, or add the bug to cpan-RT. AUTHOR
Stevan Little <stevan@iinteractive.com> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2007-2009 by Infinity Interactive, Inc. <http://www.iinteractive.com> This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2010-01-02 MooseX::AttributeHelpers::String(3pm)