Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help me understand VPN
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Help me understand VPN Post 303045434 by Circuits on Friday 20th of March 2020 12:50:42 PM
Old 03-20-2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by stomp
There are lots of software packages and some different protocols that are used to operate VPNs.

I see, so then are both WireGuard and OpenConnect doing the same thing? I am just wondering because based on what I read on the OpenConnect homepage it seems like they have tailored their service to work with certain vendors like Cisco, which is the provider we use. I managed to get OpenConnect VPN working but I would rather use WireGuard if I can simply based on the article's description of it. So, as long as they are doing the same thing, why wouldn't I use WireGuard? Is it possible that a VPN can be tailored to work with certain vendors like Cisco? If they can, then perhaps I should be using OpenConnect.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Trying to use MySql through a VPN

Hiya All, Problem after problem. I can't fire up MySql on my FC-3 Server at work I need to remote dial in past a VPN I get the following message Below. Is it something Obvious I need to do wrt to Config etc? I can't belive I cannot acces a STD DB past a VPN! other people in work do... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: marty 600
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with vpn

We have an older model DG Aviion Unix system and we're trying to switch to VPN but we can't talk to the Unix box... can't ping or telnet to it, but we can talk to all our other systems (PC/NT servers). Is there a network/tcpip setting we're missing? Something we have to change/set, either on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: markb
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

One VPN question

Hi, My setup is as follows: 1) HeadOffice----->Private subnet: 192.168.0.0 2) Branch1-------->Private subnet: 192.168.200.0 I'm connecting from branch1 to headoffice thru VPN and I'm able to access all PC's except SCO UNIXWARE 7.1.1 box. I have made a search before posting this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
7 Replies

4. IP Networking

Vpn

Hi, I have two unix networks connected via VPN via IPsec. I am using snapgear vpn devices at each location. The two devices can ping one another, as well as the unix network behind the respected devices. The unix machines can ping their local vpn devices. However, I am having issues pinging... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: l8kerboi23
1 Replies

5. Linux

VPN Solutions

Hello Friends I want to know about VPN Solutions under Linux Please help me :confused: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaibw
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

VPN and then

Hi, I want to work on a remote unix server, then on a windows XP station I have a Forticlient that makes a VPN to the network on which the server is situated. But then I do not know how to work with. In DOS box (cmd BOX) I issue: telnet myserver but It does not know IT. Any idea ? Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

7. Solaris

vpn not connecting

Hi, I have been using using internet explorer on windows for connecting with production server using vpn connection. i want to use same vpn to connect from solaris system to the production server.it is not connecting is there solution (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: malikshahid85
0 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

VPN Security

Hello Gurus : I had a question about VPN connection . Say for instance i have to connect from my point A to point B (Is the place where i initiate the VPN connection ) . From there i connect to point C (i.e Bank) . My question is this a secure connection . (from point A to C) Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsbiju
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Vpn

Hi. Yesterday I installed Solaris 11.3 and I tried to setup a VPN but I didn't find how to make it. I saw the "network manager" where I found the ethernet connection but I didn't find where to add a VPN connection. When I used Debian Linux there was NetworkManagerVPN that with a GUI I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jena
0 Replies
OPENCONNECT(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    OPENCONNECT(8)

NAME
openconnect - Connect to Cisco AnyConnect VPN SYNOPSIS
openconnect [--config configfile] [-b,--background] [--pid-file pidfile] [-c,--certificate cert] [-e,--cert-expire-warning days] [-k,--sslkey key] [-K,--key-type type] [-C,--cookie cookie] [--cookie-on-stdin] [-d,--deflate] [-D,--no-deflate] [--force-dpd interval] [-g,--usergroup group] [-h,--help] [-i,--interface ifname] [-l,--syslog] [-U,--setuid user] [--csd-user user] [-m,--mtu mtu] [-p,--key-password pass] [-P,--proxy proxyurl] [--no-proxy] [--libproxy] [--key-password-from-fsid] [--key-type type] [-q,--quiet] [-Q,--queue-len len] [-s,--script vpnc-script] [-S,--script-tun] [-u,--user name] [-V,--version] [-v,--verbose] [-x,--xmlconfig config] [--authgroup group] [--cookieonly] [--printcookie] [--cafile file] [--disable-ipv6] [--dtls-ciphers list] [--no-cert-check] [--no-dtls] [--no-http-keepalive] [--no-passwd] [--non-inter] [--passwd-on-stdin] [--reconnect-timeout] [--servercert sha1] [--useragent string] [https://]server[:port][/group] DESCRIPTION
The program openconnect connects to Cisco "AnyConnect" VPN servers, which use standard TLS and DTLS protocols for data transport. The connection happens in two phases. First there is a simple HTTPS connection over which the user authenticates somehow - by using a cer- tificate, or password or SecurID, etc. Having authenticated, the user is rewarded with an HTTP cookie which can be used to make the real VPN connection. The second phase uses that cookie in an HTTPS CONNECT request, and data packets can be passed over the resulting connection. In auxiliary headers exchanged with the CONNECT request, a Session-ID and Master Secret for a DTLS connection are also exchanged, which allows data transport over UDP to occur. OPTIONS
--config=CONFIGFILE Read further options from CONFIGFILE before continuing to process options from the command line. The file should contain long-format options as would be accepted on the command line, but without the two leading -- dashes. Empty lines, or lines where the first non- space character is a # character, are ignored. Any option except the config option may be specified in the file. -b,--background Continue in background after startup --pid-file=PIDFILE Save the pid to PIDFILE when backgrounding -c,--certificate=CERT Use SSL client certificate CERT -e,--cert-expire-warning=DAYS Give a warning when SSL client certificate has DAYS left before expiry -k,--sslkey=KEY Use SSL private key file KEY -C,--cookie=COOKIE Use WebVPN cookie COOKIE --cookie-on-stdin Read cookie from standard input -d,--deflate Enable compression (default) -D,--no-deflate Disable compression --force-dpd=INTERVAL Use INTERVAL as minimum Dead Peer Detection interval for CSTP and DTLS, forcing use of DPD even when the server doesn't request it. -g,--usergroup=GROUP Use GROUP as login UserGroup -h,--help Display help text -i,--interface=IFNAME Use IFNAME for tunnel interface -l,--syslog Use syslog for progress messages -U,--setuid=USER Drop privileges after connecting, to become user USER --csd-user=USER Drop privileges during CSD (Cisco Secure Desktop) script execution. --csd-wrapper=SCRIPT Run SCRIPT instead of the CSD (Cisco Secure Desktop) script. -m,--mtu=MTU Request MTU from server -p,--key-password=PASS Provide passphrase for certificate file, or SRK (System Root Key) PIN for TPM -P,--proxy=PROXYURL Use HTTP or SOCKS proxy for connection --no-proxy Disable use of proxy --libproxy Use libproxy to configure proxy automatically (when built with libproxy support) --key-password-from-fsid Passphrase for certificate file is automatically generated from the fsid of the file system on which it is stored. The fsid is obtained from the statvfs(2) or statfs(2) system call, depending on the operating system. On a Linux or similar system with GNU coreutils, the fsid used by this option should be equal to the output of the command: stat --file-system --printf=%i\n $CERTIFICATE It is not the same as the 128-bit UUID of the file system. --key-type=TYPE Type of private key file (PKCS#12, TPM or PEM) -q,--quiet Less output -Q,--queue-len=LEN Set packet queue limit to LEN pkts -s,--script=SCRIPT Invoke SCRIPT to configure the network after connection. Without this, routing and name service are unlikely to work correctly. The script is expected to be compatible with the vpnc-script which is shipped with the "vpnc" VPN client. See http://www.infradead.org/openconnect/vpnc-script.html for more information. This version of OpenConnect is configured to use /usr/share/vpnc-scripts/vpnc-script by default. -S,--script-tun Pass traffic to 'script' program over a UNIX socket, instead of to a kernel tun/tap device. This allows the VPN IP traffic to be handled entirely in userspace, for example by a program which uses lwIP to provide SOCKS access into the VPN. -u,--user=NAME Set login username to NAME -V,--version Report version number -v,--verbose More output -x,--xmlconfig=CONFIG XML config file --authgroup=GROUP Choose authentication login selection --cookieonly Fetch webvpn cookie only; don't connect --printcookie Print webvpn cookie before connecting --cafile=FILE Cert file for server verification --disable-ipv6 Do not advertise IPv6 capability to server --dtls-ciphers=LIST Set OpenSSL ciphers to support for DTLS --no-cert-check Do not require server SSL certificate to be valid. Checks will still happen and failures will cause a warning message, but the con- nection will continue anyway. You should not need to use this option - if your servers have SSL certificates which are not signed by a trusted Certificate Authority, you can still add them (or your private CA) to a local file and use that file with the --cafile option. --no-dtls Disable DTLS --no-http-keepalive Version 8.2.2.5 of the Cisco ASA software has a bug where it will forget the client's SSL certificate when HTTP connections are being re-used for multiple requests. So far, this has only been seen on the initial connection, where the server gives an HTTP/1.0 redirect response with an explicit Connection: Keep-Alive directive. OpenConnect as of v2.22 has an unconditional workaround for this, which is never to obey that directive after an HTTP/1.0 response. However, Cisco's support team has failed to give any competent response to the bug report and we don't know under what other circum- stances their bug might manifest itself. So this option exists to disable ALL re-use of HTTP sessions and cause a new connection to be made for each request. If your server seems not to be recognising your certificate, try this option. If it makes a difference, please report this information to the openconnect-devel@lists.infradead.org mailing list. --no-passwd Never attempt password (or SecurID) authentication. --non-inter Do not expect user input; exit if it is required. --passwd-on-stdin Read password from standard input --reconnect-timeout Keep reconnect attempts until so much seconds are elapsed. The default timeout is 300 seconds, which means that openconnect can recover VPN connection after a temporary network down time of 300 seconds. --servercert=SHA1 Accept server's SSL certificate only if its fingerprint matches SHA1. --useragent=STRING Use STRING as 'User-Agent:' field value in HTTP header. (e.g. --useragent 'Cisco AnyConnect VPN Agent for Windows 2.2.0133') LIMITATIONS
Note that although IPv6 has been tested on all platforms on which openconnect is known to run, it depends on a suitable vpnc-script to con- figure the network. The standard vpnc-script shipped with vpnc 0.5.3 is not capable of setting up IPv6 routes; the one from git://git.infradead.org/users/dwmw2/vpnc-scripts.git will be required. AUTHORS
David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org> OPENCONNECT(8)