Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Mac OS X Catalina - NFS File Access Behavior in CRON or Launchd Post 303045430 by bminear on Friday 20th of March 2020 11:31:07 AM
Old 03-20-2020
Thanks hth.

1. The script is hard coded, no environment variables.

2. Yes. sudo su - then crontab -e. I've also tried it using Mac OS X's Launchd, which is their cron replacement since they do state that they are deprecating cron. But it didn't make a difference.

3. I should have been more clear about the behavior. The problem is that the hosts files in the NFS dir can't be read. The [ -f .../hosts] test works fine, so the script can access the NFS directory and see that the file exists, but the cat command can't read the actual file. The hosts.base is moot. If I just simply try to "cat /.../nfs/hosts > /etc/hosts" then I end up with a 0 sized /etc/hosts file.

Somehow Mac OS X Catalina is executing the script in some sort of environment differently depending on whether it is launched manually, or from cron/launchd.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Strange IP traffic behavior when using Samba and FTP (Windows/Mac to Linux)

I have set up a samba share on my Linux server. I have a gigabit switch, gigabit NICs in each machine. I have set up the /etc/samba/smb.conf to support no delay, 8192 send/receive buffers, etc. This helped the rate for Samba go from about 4MB/S to about 10MB/S, but I expect to see about... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perspectx
1 Replies

2. AIX

Cannot access NFS file system

I create a NFS file system. I can read this system from client, however, I cannot write anything in this folder. Why? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Behavior of Bad Script in Cron Job

Hi A Ksh script is deployed in a server and executed through cronjob. If one of the line in the middle of the script fails . Are the remaining lines executed ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sivaswami
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

NFS Access Issue

Hi, I am facing issue on NFS. I have shared /data file file system on Server 192.192.192.1, added below lines in /etc/exports /data 192.192.192.2(rw,no_root_squash,sync) the owner of /data directory was test(uid 500) and same I have mounted on another server 192.192.192.2 where the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep startup messages from catalina.out file

Hello Team, I am trying to extract date from the following output and trying to compare with current date and if there is 10 minute difference between the two. it should logs message in the file server is started.can anyone help me to implement this in the script? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coolguyamy
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Different redirection behavior in BASH/Linux when run under cron vice login ???

run_xfs_fsr is a xfs filesystem maintenance script designed to run under cron. The system is a home theater personal computer running mythbuntu 10.10, and is accessed remotely for these tests. cron runs a script, (xfs_fsr.sh) at 02:30 that runs the subject script under BASH and sets the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: keepitsimpleeng
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Launchd-owned processes unexpected behavior

Ok, so I have been struggling with this for a few days and I think I need an explanation of a few things before I go any further. I'm not sure it's possible to do what I'm trying, so before I pull my hair out, here is what I'm doing: I have written a program in LiveCode that sits on our... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nextyoyoma
2 Replies
dfmounts_nfs(1M)					  System Administration Commands					  dfmounts_nfs(1M)

NAME
dfmounts_nfs - display mounted NFS resource information SYNOPSIS
dfmounts [ -F nfs] [-h] [server...] DESCRIPTION
dfmounts shows the local resources shared through NFS, along with the list of clients that have mounted the resource. The -F flag may be omitted if NFS is the only file system type listed in the file /etc/dfs/fstypes. dfmounts without options, displays all remote resources mounted on the local system, regardless of file system type. The output of dfmounts consists of an optional header line (suppressed with the -h flag) followed by a list of lines containing whitespace- separated fields. For each resource, the fields are: resource server pathname clients ... where resource Does not apply to NFS. Printed as a hyphen (-). server Specifies the system from which the resource was mounted. pathname Specifies the pathname that must be given to the share(1M) command. clients Is a comma-separated list of systems that have mounted the resource. OPTIONS
-F nfs Specifies the nfs-FSType. -h Suppress header line in output. server Displays information about the resources mounted from each server, where server can be any system on the network. If no server is specified, the server is assumed to be the local system. FILES
/etc/dfs/fstypes ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnfscu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mount(1M), share(1M), unshare(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 6 Nov 2000 dfmounts_nfs(1M)