Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Help with grep to show date/time of file Post 303045374 by newbie_01 on Wednesday 18th of March 2020 04:53:12 PM
Old 03-18-2020
Help with grep to show date/time of file

Hi,

This is similar to what's been asked in the post below:

grep to show date/time of file the string was found in.

The solution sort of work / not work, the problem is if there is no match, then xargs does a full listing. That is if it found file/s that matches the search string and hence file exist, it does list the files but if it doesn't find a match it do a full listing instead Smilie

See example below:

Code:
$: ls -ltr
total 16
-rw-r-----   1 tester   omg            0 Mar 19 09:36 file1
-rw-r-----   1 tester   omg            0 Mar 19 09:36 file2
-rw-r-----   1 tester   omg            0 Mar 19 09:36 file3
-rw-r-----   1 tester   omg            0 Mar 19 09:36 file4
-rw-r-----   1 tester   omg            0 Mar 19 09:36 file5
-rw-r-----   1 tester   omg            15 Mar 19 09:36 corrupt.txt
$: grep -il "bad" * | xargs ls -l
-rw-r-----   1 tester   dba           15 Mar 19 09:36 corrupt.txt
$: grep -il "corrupt" * | xargs ls -l
total 16
$: uname -a
SunOS [hostname] 5.11 11.3 sun4v sparc sun4v
$: cat corrupt.txt
BAD FILE FOUND

And just realized I can just actually just do ls -l but it gave me the same behaviour:

Code:
$: ls -l `grep -il "bad" *`
$: ls -l `grep -il "corrupt" *`
total 16

I guess this is the expected behavior but kinda hoping it'll just do nothing if it doesn't find any or print something maybe instead? Any suggestion?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep time and date

Hi, I have a file which is a result of a script running every two minutes. What I wanted to do is to grep a specific date and time (hour and minute) from the file and then count the occurance of 201. I need to get the result of occurance of 201 every 5 minutes. What should I include in my... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processing a log file based on date/time input and the date/time on the log file

Hi, I'm trying to accomplish the following and would like some suggestions or possible bash script examples that may work I have a directory that has a list of log files that's periodically dumped from a script that is crontab that are rotated 4 generations. There will be a time stamp that is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: primp
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep to show date/time of file the string was found in.

I've seen several examples of grep showing the filename the string was found in, but what I really need is grep to show the file details in long format (like ls -l would). scenario is: grep mobile_number todays_files This will show me the string I'm after & which files they turn up in, but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodstock
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Show date/time with tail|grep command

Hi, I have a log file without date/time, and I want that everytime tail|grep find something it displays the date/time and the line. I have tried something like this command but without any luck to display the date/time: tail -F catalina.out | sed "s/^/`date `/" | egrep ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: julugu
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep the Content of a LOG File which has latest Date and Time

Hi All, Need a small help. I have a log file which keeps updating for every Minute with multiple number of lines. I just want to grep few properties which has latest Date and Time to it. How do i do it? I wanted to grep a property by name "Reloading cache with a maximum of" from the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvindraneel
4 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

grep a range of time & date

how can i grep a range? i have a text file with the following text: result.log.00:2012/01/02 12:00:07.422 LOG STARTED HERE N6Kashya29MemoryShieldScheduler_AO_IMPLE, pid=8662/8658, config=(alertThreshold=10,alertLevel=0,killThreshold=7200,coreThreshold=0,full=1), deltaTime=0,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boaz733
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep into a file + show following lines

Hi guys, This is probably very easy but I've no idea how to pull this out. Basically, I need to find errors into a very large logfile. When you grep the ID, the output is like this: +- Type: 799911 Code: Ret: 22728954 Mand: X Def: Des: UserDes: SeqNo: 2 +- Type: 799911 Code: Ret:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arkadia
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Does 'grep' update a file's access date/time?

I've got a job that finds and removes trace files based upon an access time of more than seven days (I've also tried a modify date). find TABC* -atime +7 -exec rm + find TABC* -mtime +7 -exec rm + Whether I use -atime or -mtime, the process seems to work sporadically. Sometimes it removes... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scottie1954
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Grep show file name once

I am using grep as follows grep --include \*.org -ir "sunspot" -C 3 ./astron_aphys/solarsy/sun/helioseism/localhs/fhankel/ This gives me the filename for each matched line. How can I change the command to print the file name only once rather than having the same file name repeated at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Show file name included time information

Hi all, I have many files included time information, some of them included time range by 30 minutes; 2007-12-27T110000.txt 2007-12-27T120000.txt 2007-12-27T130000.txt 2007-12-27T150000.txt 2007-12-27T153000.txt 2007-12-28T000000.txt 2007-12-28T003000.txt I only want to echo that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeo_fb
5 Replies
jstest-gtk(1)															     jstest-gtk(1)

NAME
jstest-gtk - joystick testing and configuration tool SYNOPSIS
jstest-gtk [options]... [device] files... DESCRIPTION
jstest-gtk is a simple joystick tester based on Gtk+. It provides a list of attached joysticks, a way to display which buttons and axis are pressed, a way to remap axis and buttons and a way to calibrate your joystick. Even when your joystick is working mostly fine, you might want to give it a try, as the calibration lets you get rid of overlarge default deadzones that many joysticks use and then is a noticeable problem in some games. USAGE
jstest-gtk is mainly a graphical interface to check that your joysticks and pads work properly. You can find precise information on each axis, you can optionally recalibrate it and also change the mapping. If you run the program without parameters, you will get a window showing all the joystick devices in your system (there can be more than one). When you double click on one of them, you will get a newer window with detailed information about its axis and buttons. There are two buttons in the detailed window called "Mapping" adn "Calibration", that allows you to reconfigurate the device. If you run the program with a device as an argument (for example /dev/input/js0), you will get the detailed window for that device directly, without getting the whole list of joysticks in the system. Calibration of the axis consists in a simple window in which you set the values that go directly into the operative system configuration, without doing any changes on them. They're divided in range and dead zone (or center). In both of them you have to set a minimum and a max- imum. You also have a checkbox for inverting the axis. Values are changed and applied in the same instant that you modify them, there's no need for clicking anywhere or doing anything else for applying the changes. OPTIONS
These program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). -h, --help Display help information and exit -v, --version Display version information and exit SEE ALSO
You can find more information if you visit http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/jstest-gtk/ AUTHOR
jstest-gtk was written by Ingo Ruhnke <grumbel@gmx.de>. This manual page was written by Miriam Ruiz <little_miry@yahoo.es>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). May 9, 2009 jstest-gtk(1)