Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers No content in the attached file when sending it via Mailx command on Solaris Post 303045345 by joeyg on Tuesday 17th of March 2020 02:03:44 PM
Old 03-17-2020
Is there something in the file

Just a first question, but do you know if your file from the first command actually contains anything?
You are appending to my_attachment, but that would be a first thing to look at.

As a 2nd approach, have you tried the same logic in your second line with a known text file?
Ruling out something quirky in the file you built.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with mailx command when sending attachment.

Hi, I have tried to sent a mail with body and attachment. But the shell script got hanging while executing that command. The command is "(cat body;uuencode att1.csv)|mailx -s "Production Monitoring Report(Unix Side)" milton.yesusundaram@patni.com" where body is a file having a single line.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miltony
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

mailx attachment sending large file

Hi I want to sent attachment file which is 400mb size.(single file, not tar file) is there any way that these kind of large files can be divided into small sizes and sent as attachments thanks with anticipation (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikn7974
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sending mail using mailx command

Hi All, Please help me regarding sending mails using mailx command in unix. I will be glad if some one give me the sintax of this. I tried using the below but vain. mailx -s 'Hi' 'xyz@abc.com' Regards, Manas (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Referring to attached images in html email body through mailx

encoding type for images? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: biswasbaishali
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sending mail through mailx command

Hi I need help to send mail through mailx command . Currenlt my program is like #!/bin/ksh -x echo " " >> path.lst MAIL_LIST='someone1@gamil.com someone2@gamil.com someone3@gamil.com' cat path.lst | mailx -s "path loaction" $MAIL_LIST echo "End" exit 0 Its work fine . But i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mani_isha
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

mailx -s not sending the file to mail address

Hi All, OS:Red Hat Linux 4 86x64 Below is my shell script which is not sending mail to the mail recipient: #!/bin/bash export MAILLIST="xyz@yahoo.com" cd <path_to_the_script_perf_report.sql> sqlplus / as sysdba @perf_report.sql if then cat <path_to_the_script/*MONTHLY*REPORT*.lst... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: a1_win
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to embed a html file in a mail sending from Linux box with uuencode or mailx?

How to embed a html file as subject in a mail sending from Linux box with uuencode or mailx or any other way? we do not want the file as attachment, it should be embedded in the mail subject. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sending content of a file in Expect

How Can I send the content of a file in Expect? Do I have to use cat command in a way? if yes how? lets say my file is called 1.txt. example: expect "Enter command to send:" {send "???? \r"} ???? --> content of the file 1.txt (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alireza6485
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx attachment not getting attached.

Hi Friends, Please help me with this problem. I have a number of split files in a directory. each split files has pdf filenames in it. pdf files are also in the same directory. I send a mail for each split files present in the directory with the pdf file mentioned in the file. I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcebalaji
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems sending an attached file with uuencode

I use uuencode in UNIX to send an attached .txt file to my e-mail. The .txt file looks like this: field_1;field_2;field_3 1;2;3 4;5;6 7;8;9 ... When the mail comes, with the attached file, it looks likt thuis: field_1;field_2;field_3 ;1;2;3 ;4;5;6 ;7;8;9 The different lines are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: katled
3 Replies
Mail::Transport::Mailx(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			       Mail::Transport::Mailx(3pm)

NAME
Mail::Transport::Mailx - transmit messages using external mailx program INHERITANCE
Mail::Transport::Mailx is a Mail::Transport::Send is a Mail::Transport is a Mail::Reporter SYNOPSIS
my $sender = Mail::Transport::Mailx->new(...); $sender->send($message); DESCRIPTION
Implements mail transport using the external programs 'mailx', "Mail", or 'mail'. When instantiated, the mailer will look for any of these binaries in specific system directories, and the first program found is taken. WARNING: There are many security issues with mail and mailx. DO NOT USE these commands to send messages which contains data derived from any external source!!! Under Linux, freebsd, and bsdos the "mail", "Mail", and "mailx" names are just links to the same binary. The implementation is very primitive, pre-MIME standard, what may cause many headers to be lost. For these platforms (and probably for other platforms as well), you can better not use this transport mechanism. METHODS
Constructors Mail::Transport::Mailx->new(OPTIONS) -Option --Defined in --Default executable Mail::Transport undef hostname Mail::Transport 'localhost' interval Mail::Transport 30 log Mail::Reporter 'WARNINGS' password Mail::Transport undef port Mail::Transport undef proxy Mail::Transport undef retry Mail::Transport <false> style <autodetect> timeout Mail::Transport 120 trace Mail::Reporter 'WARNINGS' username Mail::Transport undef via Mail::Transport 'mailx' executable => FILENAME hostname => HOSTNAME|ARRAY-OF-HOSTNAMES interval => SECONDS log => LEVEL password => STRING port => INTEGER proxy => PATH retry => NUMBER|undef style => 'BSD'|'RFC822' There are two version of the "mail" program. The newest accepts RFC822 messages, and automagically collect information about where the message is to be send to. The BSD style mail command predates MIME, and expects lines which start with a '~' (tilde) to specify destinations and such. This field is autodetect, however on some platforms both versions of "mail" can live (like various Linux distributions). timeout => SECONDS trace => LEVEL username => STRING via => CLASS|NAME Sending mail $obj->destinations(MESSAGE, [ADDRESS|ARRAY-OF-ADDRESSES]) See "Sending mail" in Mail::Transport::Send $obj->putContent(MESSAGE, FILEHANDLE, OPTIONS) See "Sending mail" in Mail::Transport::Send $obj->send(MESSAGE, OPTIONS) See "Sending mail" in Mail::Transport::Send $obj->trySend(MESSAGE, OPTIONS) Server connection $obj->findBinary(NAME [, DIRECTORIES]) See "Server connection" in Mail::Transport $obj->remoteHost() See "Server connection" in Mail::Transport $obj->retry() See "Server connection" in Mail::Transport Error handling $obj->AUTOLOAD() See "Error handling" in Mail::Reporter $obj->addReport(OBJECT) See "Error handling" in Mail::Reporter $obj->defaultTrace([LEVEL]|[LOGLEVEL, TRACELEVEL]|[LEVEL, CALLBACK]) Mail::Transport::Mailx->defaultTrace([LEVEL]|[LOGLEVEL, TRACELEVEL]|[LEVEL, CALLBACK]) See "Error handling" in Mail::Reporter $obj->errors() See "Error handling" in Mail::Reporter $obj->log([LEVEL [,STRINGS]]) Mail::Transport::Mailx->log([LEVEL [,STRINGS]]) See "Error handling" in Mail::Reporter $obj->logPriority(LEVEL) Mail::Transport::Mailx->logPriority(LEVEL) See "Error handling" in Mail::Reporter $obj->logSettings() See "Error handling" in Mail::Reporter $obj->notImplemented() See "Error handling" in Mail::Reporter $obj->report([LEVEL]) See "Error handling" in Mail::Reporter $obj->reportAll([LEVEL]) See "Error handling" in Mail::Reporter $obj->trace([LEVEL]) See "Error handling" in Mail::Reporter $obj->warnings() See "Error handling" in Mail::Reporter Cleanup $obj->DESTROY() See "Cleanup" in Mail::Reporter $obj->inGlobalDestruction() See "Cleanup" in Mail::Reporter DIAGNOSTICS
Warning: Message has no destination It was not possible to figure-out where the message is intended to go to. Error: Package $package does not implement $method. Fatal error: the specific package (or one of its superclasses) does not implement this method where it should. This message means that some other related classes do implement this method however the class at hand does not. Probably you should investigate this and probably inform the author of the package. Warning: Resent group does not specify a destination The message which is sent is the result of a bounce (for instance created with Mail::Message::bounce()), and therefore starts with a "Received" header field. With the "bounce", the new destination(s) of the message are given, which should be included as "Resent-To", "Resent-Cc", and "Resent-Bcc". The "To", "Cc", and "Bcc" header information is only used if no "Received" was found. That seems to be the best explanation of the RFC. As alternative, you may also specify the "to" option to some of the senders (for instance Mail::Transport::SMTP::send(to) to overrule any information found in the message itself about the destination. Error: Sending via mailx mailer $program failed: $! ($?) Mailx (in some shape: there are many different implementations) did start accepting messages, but did not succeed sending it. SEE ALSO
This module is part of Mail-Box distribution version 2.105, built on May 07, 2012. Website: http://perl.overmeer.net/mailbox/ LICENSE
Copyrights 2001-2012 by [Mark Overmeer]. For other contributors see ChangeLog. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See http://www.perl.com/perl/misc/Artistic.html perl v5.14.2 2012-05-07 Mail::Transport::Mailx(3pm)