Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Testing connectivity to an URL Post 303045335 by hicksd8 on Tuesday 17th of March 2020 06:38:14 AM
Old 03-17-2020
I would like to try and answer your question but I'm completely confused. We need a lot more information to even start to think about it.

However, let me state a couple of facts here (to prompt you to tell us more).

1. Your laptop ip address is 192.168.8.149 and your server address is 192.168.121.72 so if your subnet mask is (typical) 255.255.255.0 then these two addresses are NOT on the same network and so your laptop will send the connection request to its configured gateway. (You could try changing your laptop ip address to 192.168.121.xxx to see if it connects then).

2. You specify a port number on a connection command line when you know that there is a listener on that port number at the other end for the network protocol/service that you are using. If you have a particular service listening on port 8081 then that port number is not also going to work for telnet protocol. By default (ie, without specifying a port number) telnet uses port 23. So you would not specify a different port number on a telnet command line unless you KNOW that a telnet listener is configured on port 8081 at the other end. Telnet will fail to connect otherwise.

If you know all this already then I apologize for not understanding your question but please provide much more information.

Q: Can you ping your target ip address? If that fails then fix that first.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

url calling and parameter passing to url in script

Hi all, I need to write a unix script in which need to call a url. Then need to pass parameters to that url. please help. Regards, gander_ss (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gander_ss
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

url calling and parameter passing to url in script

Hi all, I need to write a unix script in which need to call a url. Then need to pass parameters to that url. please help. Regards, gander_ss (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gander_ss
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ReDirecting a URL to another URL - Linux

Hello, I need to redirect an existing URL, how can i do that? There's a current web address to a GUI that I have to redirect to another webaddress. Does anyone know how to do this? This is on Unix boxes Linux. example: https://m45.testing.address.net/host.php make it so the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

4. Solaris

connectivity between servers

We have two servers A and B (both running Solaris 10) out of which one is application server and the other is database server. The two servers faced certain network issues and the two servers were temporarily disconnected.this happened around 5AM GMT monday.Can anyone suggest some log files or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asalman.qazi
2 Replies

5. Web Development

Regex to rewrite URL to another URL based on HTTP_HOST?

I am trying to find a way to test some code, but I need to rewrite a specific URL only from a specific HTTP_HOST The call goes out to http://SUB.DOMAIN.COM/showAssignment/7bde10b45efdd7a97629ef2fe01f7303/jsmodule/Nevow.Athena The ID in the middle is always random due to the cookie. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: EXT3FSCK
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk: print all URL addresses between iframe tags without repeating an already printed URL

Here is what I have so far: find . -name "*php*" -or -name "*htm*" | xargs grep -i iframe | awk -F'"' '/<iframe*/{gsub(/.\*iframe>/,"\"");print $2}' Here is an example content of a PHP or HTM(HTML) file: <iframe src="http://ADDRESS_1/?click=5BBB08\" width=1 height=1... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: striker4o
18 Replies

7. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Testing BBCODE URL for DragonByte

Here is the URL we will use: https://www.unix.com/post-here-contact-site-administrators-moderators/241569-doesnt-allow-me-use-code-tags.html I will put this in this text with the URL BBCODE. Now I will save the thread and test the URL. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading URL using Mechanize and dump all the contents of the URL to a file

Hello, Am very new to perl , please help me here !! I need help in reading a URL from command line using PERL:: Mechanize and needs all the contents from the URL to get into a file. below is the script which i have written so far , #!/usr/bin/perl use LWP::UserAgent; use... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scott_cog
2 Replies
dbeacon(1)						      General Commands Manual							dbeacon(1)

NAME
dbeacon - Distributed IPv4/IPv6 multicast beacon SYNOPSYS
dbeacon -a MAIL -b BEACON_ADDR[/PORT] [-i INTFNAME] [-n NAME] [-S [GROUP_ADDR[/PORT]] [-s ADDR] [-d [FILE]] [-I NUMBER] [-W type$url] [-L program] [-C CC] [-4] [-6] [-v] [-P] [-U] [-V] [-F flag] [-O] [-B ADDR] DESCRIPTION
dbeacon is a network level management tool aiming at getting various statistics about multicast connectivity. Its first usage is to check out if you can send/receive toward/from an IPv4/IPv6 multicast network. Its second usage is to gather various statistics by using a known multicast ASM group, for example TTL between each multicast peers, loss or jitter figures. Theses statistics are kept internally but can be dumped periodically in a file in xml format for latter processing. Statistics gathering is completetly distributed and rely on the powerful nature of ASM. No server is required, but maybe a http server for accessing the statistics and build an adjacency matrix of the peers. OPTIONS
-n NAME, -name NAME The name identifying you on the dbeacon session. If not specified, dbeacon will use the hostname of the running machine. -a MAIL Administrative contact. This is an e-mail used for join you, for example to notify you that something is wrong is your multicast connectivity -i IN, -interface IN Use IN instead of the default interface for multicast. -b BEACON_ADDR/PORT This is the IPv4/IPv6 address of the ASM group used by dbeacon to gather statistics. It can be specified as a DNS name too. -S GROUP_ADDR/PORT Enables SSM reception/sending on optional GROUP_ADDR/PORT -O This option enable SSM data sending in addition to ASM data. It can be used to check if people can reach you via SSM. -B ADDR This allows you to bootstrap from an ADDR that is already in the matrix. This option is useful when you ASM connectivity is broken but SSM connectivity works. -P, -ssmping Enable SSM Ping server capability. -s ADDR Bind to local address. This allow you to specify the multicast source of the packets sent by your beacon. -d FILE Dump periodic reports to dump.xml or specified file. This file may be latter processed by any XML compliant script. On a http server, you can process the dump to create a nice adjacency matrix. -I NUMBER, -interval NUMBER Interval between refresh of the dump file. Defaults to 5 secs if not specified -W URL, -website URL Specify a website to announce. -Wm URL, -matrix URL Specify your matrix URL. -Wl URL, -lg URL Specify your looking glass URL. -C CC Specify your two letter Country Code. -L program Launch program after each dump. The first argument will be the dump filename. -F flag Specify a flag to announce. For example to announce that your host is running a ssmpingd daemon, use `ssmping' as a flag. -4, -ipv4 Force IPv4 usage (Default is IPv6). -6, -ipv6 Force IPv6 usage -v verbose mode (use several for more verbosity) -U Dump periodic bandwidth usage reports to stdout -D, -daemon fork to the background (daemonize) -pidfile FILE Path to the PID file to write to. -syslog Outputs using syslog facility. -c FILE Specifies the configuration file to use. Each of the above command-line parameters can be defined there. -V, -version Outputs version information and leaves BUGS
Should be reported to the core developer Hugo Santos <hugo@fivebits.net>. HISTORY
dbeacon is a joint work of Hugo Santos, Sebastien Chaumontet and Mickael Hoerdt. It has been done in the early days of the m6bone, when nobody knew if the SPTs or RPTs were being used between hosts and also to evaluate the performance and deployment of SSM. User Manuals dbeacon(1)