Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Delete Old files from Tar
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Delete Old files from Tar Post 303045284 by shekar7 on Sunday 15th of March 2020 09:38:59 AM
Old 03-15-2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInGermany
pax can do some modifactions on a tar stream.
Code:
man pax

Can You Provide Me Example if you have?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete a file from an existing Solaris tar

How can I delete a file from an existing Solaris tar file ? (not gtar) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: avnerht
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Untaring *.tar.tar files

Hi all, How to untar a file with .tar.tar extension. A utility that i downloaded from net had this extension. Thanks in advance, bubeshj. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubeshj
6 Replies

3. Linux

tar usage and delete/create username

dear Linux expert, I am using Fedora R5 how to use tar to archive /var to a test_var.tar and compressing it? how to delete a user? just remove the line in /etc/passwd? and then what is the procedure to create a new user ? many thank (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zp523444
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete a file from XXX.tar.Z

Hi All can u please let me know how to delete a file from XXX.tar.Z file with out uncompressing this file. thanks in advance. --Bali (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: balireddy_77
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create a Tar of multiple Files in Unix and FTP the tar to Windows.

Hi, On my Unix Server in my directory, I have 70 files distributed in the following directories (which have several other files too). These files include C Source Files, Shell Script Source Files, Binary Files, Object Files. a) /usr/users/oracle/bin b) /usr/users/oracle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

6. Solaris

option to delete .tar file while extracting

Is there an option in tar which deletes the .tar file as soon as it is successfully extracted. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickylife
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete original files after using a tar operation.

I have a list of log files in a directory. Once i tar them I need to remove the original log files. How do i do it? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manutd
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script needed to delete to the list of files in a directory based on last created & delete them

Hi My directory structure is as below. dir1, dir2, dir3 I have the list of files to be deleted in the below path as below. /staging/retain_for_2years/Cleanup/log $ ls -lrt total 0 drwxr-xr-x 2 nobody nobody 256 Mar 01 16:15 01-MAR-2015_SPDBS2 drwxr-xr-x 2 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasadn
2 Replies
RDUP-TR(1)							       rdup								RDUP-TR(1)

NAME
rdup-tr - transform rdup output SYNOPSIS
rdup-tr [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
Transform rdup output into something else. Where something else can be a tar, cpio, pax archive or another rdup stream. The rdup archive must be given on rdup-tr's standard input. You can select multiple types of output (-O flag), but you must be aware that you may loose some information in formats other than rdup's own, see the table below. You may also supply rdup-tr with only a list of pathnames, this can be selected with the -L flag. The following table shows what happens with the output depending on the input. 0 OK D delete information is lost H hardlink information is lost | | output | tar,cpio,pax | rdup input | | ------------- | ------------- | ------ rdup | D | 0 filelist | DH | H | | OPTIONS
-L Select list input format. Normally rdup-tr accepts rdup output, with this option you can give it a list of path names. Note: with list input rdup-tr will `stat()` each file. -O Output format. This can be 'tar', 'cpio', 'pax' or 'rdup'. It defaults to 'rdup'. -X key Read the encryption key from the file key and encrypt all paths with Blowfish and this key and iv. After the encryption the binary data is converted into ASCII using an URL safe (Section 4 of RFC 3548) version of base64 encode. The encryption key must be on the first line and the key size must be 16 and 8 bytes for the iv, so 24 in total. -Y key Read the decryption key from the file key and decrypt all paths with Blowfish and this key. Before the encryption the paths are con- verted to binary by using an URL safe version of base64 decode. -c Force output to the tty. Normally rdup-tr wants to see it's output redirected. -v Be more verbose. -V Print rdup-tr's version. -h A short help. EXAMPLES
The following is possible rdup -Pgzip -Pmcrypt,-f,KEY,-c /dev/null /home | rdup-tr -O tar -X<(echo secret) | gzip > my-home-zipped-crypted-pathcrypted-tar.gz That is: all files under /home are gzipped and encrypted on a per file basis (first line). Further more, all pathnames are Blowfish encrypted (second line) with the key 'secret'. This is put in a tar file, which is then compressed, resulting in the final output (final line). Creating a compressed and encrypted tar archive out of a full rdup dump might be done as follows rdup -Pgzip -Pmcrypt,-f,KEY,-c /dev/null /home | rdup-tr -O tar > my-home-zipped-and-crypted.tar Or even pack and unpack it on the fly rdup -Pgzip -Pmcrypt,-fKEY,-c /dev/null /home | rdup-tr -Otar | ssh user@remotehost tar xvCf /tmp - Or encryption with openssl rdup -Popenssl,enc,-e,-des-cbc,-k,secret /dev/null /home Or, compressing with gzip, encrypting with openssl and then compressing the entire archive yet again rdup -Pgzip -Popenssl,enc,-e,-des-cbc,-k,secret /dev/null /home | gzip > my_compressed_encrypted_rdup_archive.gz Recreating the original rdup output, which can be fed to rdup-up. gunzip -c my_compressed_encrypted_rdup_archive.gz | rdup-tr -Popenssl,enc,-d,-des-cbc,-k,secret -Pgzip,-d > my_rdup_archive rdup-up < my_rdup_archive -t /tmp/restore Notice the reversal of the -P options. EXIT CODE
rdup-tr return a zero exit code on success, otherwise 1 is returned. AUTHOR
Written by Miek Gieben. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <miek@miek.nl>. SEE ALSO
http:/www.miek.nl/projects/rdup/ is the main site of rdup. Also see rdup(1), rdup-up(1) and rdup-backups(7). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2005-2010 Miek Gieben. This is free software. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Licensed under the GPL version 3. See the file LICENSE in the source distribution of rdup. 1.1.11 27 Nov 2008 RDUP-TR(1)