Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Custom exit message according to flag Post 303045142 by da1 on Thursday 12th of March 2020 02:17:13 PM
Old 03-12-2020
hmm, very interesting construct. thank you for that.

One question though regarding the following piece of code:
Code:
[[ 0 = $ret ]] && \
	exit_msg="SUCCESS - $exit_msg" || \
	exit_msg="FAILURE - $exit_msg"

Why not do a proper if/else statement here?

Quote:
First and foremost, both "${2:-}" are useless, as that would fill an empty variable with... emptyness.
I did that because of the "set -u". What would be the right approach?

Quote:
Second, you dont want something in a variable that defines an extra option - if it hasnt been set by the user.
Ok, can you elabortate on that? Why is it wrong (?) to append a string to a variable?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can I find a list of exit codes? (Exit code 64)

I'm receiving an exit code 64 in our batch scheduler (BMC product control-m) executing a PERL script on UX-HP. Can you tell me where I can find a list of exit codes and their meaning. I'm assuming the exit code is from the Unix operating system not PERL. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkuchar747
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cant get the right exit message

#!/bin/ksh application task run command //returns 0 if successful if ; then echo "Ran Fine" else echo "Didnt run" fi When I run the script, here is the output Status code = 0 ksh: [0: not found. Job didnt run any suggestions? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bryan
4 Replies

3. Programming

How to limit max no of message in a posix message queue

Hii can anyone pls tell how to limit the max no of message in a posix message queue. I have made changes in proc/sys/fs/mqueue/msg_max But still whenever i try to read the value of max. message in the queue using attr.mq_curmsgs (where struct mq_attr attr) its giving the default value as 10.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohit3884
0 Replies

4. AIX

du flag -x

Hi, I would like to know if there's any option to use with the du command so that I can list only the files/directories on the current filesystem... I usually use du -gs *But I'd like to see only the directories in the filesystem I am on, and not the mount point directory of other fss... ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Casey
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing all lines before a specific string and a custom message 2 lines after

Hello all, I need to print all the lines before a specific string and print a custom message 2 lines after that. So far I have managed to print everything up the string, inclusively, but I can't figure out how to print the 2 lines after that and the custom message. My code thus far is:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SEinT
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

'h' flag in du

Hey, all! Why is the "human readable" flag changing the behavior of du? And while I'm at it, can you make du only look at files, not directories. I often find myself wanting to find the largest file(s) in a dir or vol. Using 'find' itself, it seems you have to at least be able to guess the size of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudon't
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need the difference between exit 1 & exit 7

Hi In one of the script I am seeing some thing like exit 7,exit 1,exit 2,exit 3,exit 9,exit6.What is the difference between all of this exit.Can anyone help here please (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginrkf
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Get the id with specify flag

.... means multi line ddd,bug fgdrg dfdfsdfdfsd fsdfdfdfd fdfdsfdsfsd ....... flag2 ...... aaa,bug sfsfsfsfs dfdfsdfdfsd fsdfdfdfd fdfdsfdsfsd ...... flag1 ...... ddd,bug fgdrg dfdfsdfdfsd (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to supress error message with custom text

After a bash function is run the below file is produced: out_name.txt tab-delimeted Input Errors and warnings AccNo Genesymbol Variant Reference Sequence Start Descr. Coding DNA Descr. Protein Descr. GeneSymbol Coding DNA Descr. GeneSymbol Protein Descr. Genomic... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. IP Networking

Insmod custom module fails with message : disagrees about version of symbol ...

Hello : I want to make a netfilter conntrack module for myself. So I copy all the source code about netfilter conntrack from kernel source tree to my external directory. It can be insmod after compiled. Then I add some members to the struct nf_conn, and it 's compiled successfully. However, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 915086731
1 Replies
math::fuzzy(3tcl)						 Tcl Math Library						 math::fuzzy(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
math::fuzzy - Fuzzy comparison of floating-point numbers SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl ?8.3? package require math::fuzzy ?0.2? ::math::fuzzy::teq value1 value2 ::math::fuzzy::tne value1 value2 ::math::fuzzy::tge value1 value2 ::math::fuzzy::tle value1 value2 ::math::fuzzy::tlt value1 value2 ::math::fuzzy::tgt value1 value2 ::math::fuzzy::tfloor value ::math::fuzzy::tceil value ::math::fuzzy::tround value ::math::fuzzy::troundn value ndigits _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The package Fuzzy is meant to solve common problems with floating-point numbers in a systematic way: o Comparing two numbers that are "supposed" to be identical, like 1.0 and 2.1/(1.2+0.9) is not guaranteed to give the intuitive result. o Rounding a number that is halfway two integer numbers can cause strange errors, like int(100.0*2.8) != 28 but 27 The Fuzzy package is meant to help sorting out this type of problems by defining "fuzzy" comparison procedures for floating-point numbers. It does so by allowing for a small margin that is determined automatically - the margin is three times the "epsilon" value, that is three times the smallest number eps such that 1.0 and 1.0+$eps canbe distinguished. In Tcl, which uses double precision floating-point numbers, this is typically 1.1e-16. PROCEDURES
Effectively the package provides the following procedures: ::math::fuzzy::teq value1 value2 Compares two floating-point numbers and returns 1 if their values fall within a small range. Otherwise it returns 0. ::math::fuzzy::tne value1 value2 Returns the negation, that is, if the difference is larger than the margin, it returns 1. ::math::fuzzy::tge value1 value2 Compares two floating-point numbers and returns 1 if their values either fall within a small range or if the first number is larger than the second. Otherwise it returns 0. ::math::fuzzy::tle value1 value2 Returns 1 if the two numbers are equal according to [teq] or if the first is smaller than the second. ::math::fuzzy::tlt value1 value2 Returns the opposite of [tge]. ::math::fuzzy::tgt value1 value2 Returns the opposite of [tle]. ::math::fuzzy::tfloor value Returns the integer number that is lower or equal to the given floating-point number, within a well-defined tolerance. ::math::fuzzy::tceil value Returns the integer number that is greater or equal to the given floating-point number, within a well-defined tolerance. ::math::fuzzy::tround value Rounds the floating-point number off. ::math::fuzzy::troundn value ndigits Rounds the floating-point number off to the specified number of decimals (Pro memorie). Usage: if { [teq $x $y] } { puts "x == y" } if { [tne $x $y] } { puts "x != y" } if { [tge $x $y] } { puts "x >= y" } if { [tgt $x $y] } { puts "x > y" } if { [tlt $x $y] } { puts "x < y" } if { [tle $x $y] } { puts "x <= y" } set fx [tfloor $x] set fc [tceil $x] set rounded [tround $x] set roundn [troundn $x $nodigits] TEST CASES
The problems that can occur with floating-point numbers are illustrated by the test cases in the file "fuzzy.test": o Several test case use the ordinary comparisons, and they fail invariably to produce understandable results o One test case uses [expr] without braces ({ and }). It too fails. The conclusion from this is that any expression should be surrounded by braces, because otherwise very awkward things can happen if you need accuracy. Furthermore, accuracy and understandable results are enhanced by using these "tolerant" or fuzzy comparisons. Note that besides the Tcl-only package, there is also a C-based version. REFERENCES
Original implementation in Fortran by dr. H.D. Knoble (Penn State University). P. E. Hagerty, "More on Fuzzy Floor and Ceiling," APL QUOTE QUAD 8(4):20-24, June 1978. Note that TFLOOR=FL5 took five years of refereed evolution (publication). L. M. Breed, "Definitions for Fuzzy Floor and Ceiling", APL QUOTE QUAD 8(3):16-23, March 1978. D. Knuth, Art of Computer Programming, Vol. 1, Problem 1.2.4-5. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category math :: fuzzy of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. KEYWORDS
floating-point, math, rounding CATEGORY
Mathematics math 0.2 math::fuzzy(3tcl)