Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grep Command Help
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Grep Command Help Post 303045127 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 12th of March 2020 10:07:29 AM
Old 03-12-2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanilOnTheSky
It worked, can you explain a little bit why?

Regards,
The caret sign (^)means that the expression only matches text at the beginning of the line.
There already had be a space at the end.
These two measures make that a partial match will not work.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep command

I want to list all files created in a day but it doesn't work $ day=\'`date "+%b %d"`\' $ echo $day >>> 'Mar 12' $ ll |grep $day >>> can't open 12' ????? please help me (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Medhi
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to exclude the GREP command from GREP

I am doing "ps -f" to see my process. but I get lines that one of it represents the ps command itself. I want to grep it out using -v flag, but than I get another process that belongs to the GREP itself : I would like to exclude # ps -f UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yamsin789
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to use grep command

I want to search pattern in between two words in a file so how to write query by using grep command?? Also want to get two words.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksr.test
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to use grep command

In my file contains special characters,alphanumerics all thease characters how to search the pattern between two strings that contains special characters Ex: find pattern between allocation_map_128*2 to creative.clicks_allocate != KNULL so there are special characters in my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ksr.test
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GREP Command

Hi, I am new to UNIX environment, to find a contents from a given files i have used the command "grep -l "<search word>" *.txt, it is given the file names which contains that particular word, but it is anyway to get entire details of the file .., i need the output like ls -ltr, filename... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: subrahmaniank
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with grep command

Hi guys, i wondering with any1 could help me with this. I have this script will i need to "grep" an integer form a file x2. If the value is 0 then it's ok. But anything greater then 0, i'll ask the script to echo an error message. This is how the script looks like: MESSAGEFILE=x2 STRING="0" ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hanyou.lin
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

can anyone help with shell script command about searching word with grep command?

i want to search in the current directory all the files that contain one word for example "hello" i want to achieve it with the grep command but not with the grep * (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aintour
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with using grep command with copy command

Hi, im taking an entry Unix class, and as part of my lab assignment I have to copy all files in the /home/david/lab3 directory that have the file extension .save to your lab3/temp directory. I'm having trouble getting the grep to do anything worth while I've been trying to do: cp... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Critical jeff
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep Command

I have one text file, contains some values like <Q1:Name>1000000</Q1:Name>. I want to read the values and stores into an array for searching the each values into a file locations. If I use this find location |xargs grep -l "<Q1:Location>100000055042</Q1:Location>",I get the files, are having... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindam guha
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command giving different result for different users for same command

Hello, I am running below command as root user #nodetool cfstats tests | grep "Memtable switch count" Memtable switch count: 12 Where as when I try to run same command as another user it gives different result. #su -l zabbix -s /bin/bash -c "nodetool cfstats tests | grep "Memtable switch... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pushpraj
10 Replies
VGRINDEFS(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						      VGRINDEFS(5)

NAME
vgrindefs -- language definition data base for vgrind(1) SYNOPSIS
vgrindefs DESCRIPTION
The vgrindefs file contains all language definitions for vgrind(1). The data base is very similar to termcap(5). FIELDS
The following table names and describes each field. Name Type Description pb str regular expression for start of a procedure bb str regular expression for start of a lexical block be str regular expression for the end of a lexical block cb str regular expression for the start of a comment ce str regular expression for the end of a comment sb str regular expression for the start of a string se str regular expression for the end of a string lb str regular expression for the start of a character constant le str regular expression for the end of a character constant tl bool present means procedures are only defined at the top lexical level oc bool present means upper and lower case are equivalent kw str a list of keywords separated by spaces EXAMPLES
The following entry, which describes the C language, is typical of a language entry. C|c::pb=^d?*?d?pd?(a?):bb={:be=}:cb=/*:ce=*/:sb=":se=e": :lb=':le=e':tl: :kw=asm auto break case char continue default do double else enum extern float for fortran goto if int long register return short sizeof static struct switch typedef union unsigned while #define #else #endif #if #ifdef #ifndef #include #undef # define else endif if ifdef ifndef include undef: Note that the first field is just the language name (and any variants of it). Thus the C language could be specified to vgrind(1) as "c" or "C". Entries may continue onto multiple lines by giving a as the last character of a line. Capabilities in vgrindefs are of two types: Boolean capabilities which indicate that the language has some particular feature and string capabilities which give a regular expression or keyword list. REGULAR EXPRESSIONS
vgrindefs uses regular expression which are very similar to those of ex(1) and lex(1). The characters `^', `$', `:' and `' are reserved characters and must be "quoted" with a preceding '' if they are to be included as normal characters. The metasymbols and their meanings are: $ the end of a line ^ the beginning of a line d a delimiter (space, tab, newline, start of line) a matches any string of symbols (like .* in lex) p matches any alphanumeric name. In a procedure definition (pb) the string that matches this symbol is used as the procedure name. () grouping | alternation ? last item is optional e preceding any string means that the string will not match an input string if the input string is preceded by an escape character (). This is typically used for languages (like C) which can include the string delimiter in a string by escaping it. Unlike other regular expressions in the system, these match words and not characters. Hence something like "(tramp|steamer)flies?" would match "tramp", "steamer", "trampflies", or "steamerflies". KEYWORD LIST
The keyword list is just a list of keywords in the language separated by spaces. If the "oc" boolean is specified, indicating that upper and lower case are equivalent, then all the keywords should be specified in lower case. FILES
/usr/share/misc/vgrindefs File containing terminal descriptions. SEE ALSO
troff(1), vgrind(1) HISTORY
The vgrindefs file format appeared in 4.2BSD. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD