Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Can I create virtual disk from zpool on Solaris 11.4 for OVM? Post 303045106 by solaris_1977 on Thursday 12th of March 2020 03:42:05 AM
Old 03-12-2020
Thanks for wonderful explanation. Here is my current setup.
There are 6 x 1TB disks. I installed Solaris 11.4 on the first entire disk and then mirrored it in rpool with the second disk. That gives me 4 disks of 1 TB each.
Code:
root@ovmi-host1:/# echo | format
Searching for disks...done

AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
       0. c0t5000C500C1FD0833d0 <SEAGATE-ST1200IN9SUN1.2T-ORA6-1.09TB>
          /scsi_vhci/disk@g5000c500c1fd0833
          /dev/chassis/SYS/HDD0/disk
       1. c0t5000C500C1FD0337d0 <SEAGATE-ST1200IN9SUN1.2T-ORA6-1.09TB>
          /scsi_vhci/disk@g5000c500c1fd0337
          /dev/chassis/SYS/HDD1/disk
       2. c0t5000C500C1FD03ABd0 <SEAGATE-ST1200IN9SUN1.2T-ORA6-1.09TB>
          /scsi_vhci/disk@g5000c500c1fd03ab
          /dev/chassis/SYS/HDD2/disk
       3. c0t5000C500C1FD0C9Fd0 <SEAGATE-ST1200IN9SUN1.2T-ORA6-1.09TB>
          /scsi_vhci/disk@g5000c500c1fd0c9f
          /dev/chassis/SYS/HDD3/disk
       4. c0t5000C500C1FD0CA7d0 <SEAGATE-ST1200IN9SUN1.2T-ORA6-1.09TB>
          /scsi_vhci/disk@g5000c500c1fd0ca7
          /dev/chassis/SYS/HDD4/disk
       5. c0t5000C500C1FD03CFd0 <SEAGATE-ST1200IN9SUN1.2T-ORA6-1.09TB>
          /scsi_vhci/disk@g5000c500c1fd03cf
          /dev/chassis/SYS/HDD5/disk
       6. c1t0d0 <MICRON-eUSB DISK-1112-1.89GB>
          /pci@300/pci@1/pci@0/pci@2/usb@0/storage@1/disk@0,0
          /dev/chassis/SYS/MB/EUSB_DISK/disk
Specify disk (enter its number): Specify disk (enter its number):
root@ovmi-host1:/# zpool list
NAME    SIZE  ALLOC  FREE  CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
rpool  1.09T   175G  937G  15%  1.00x  ONLINE  -
root@ovmi-host1:/# zpool status rpool
  pool: rpool
 state: ONLINE
status: The pool is formatted using an older on-disk format. The pool can
        still be used, but some features are unavailable.
action: Upgrade the pool using 'zpool upgrade'. Once this is done, the
        pool will no longer be accessible on older software versions.
  scan: resilvered 171G in 15m50s with 0 errors on Mon Mar  2 16:24:24 2020

config:

NAME                       STATE      READ WRITE CKSUM
        rpool                      ONLINE        0     0     0
          mirror-0                 ONLINE        0     0     0
            c0t5000C500C1FD0833d0  ONLINE        0     0     0
            c0t5000C500C1FD0337d0  ONLINE        0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
root@ovmi-host1:/#

When I login to OVM Manager, select "create repository", select this server, select "physical disks", it gives me 4 disks in below format to select from. Here I can choose any disk and create a repository
Code:
Name			Size (GiB)
35000c500c1fd03cf	1117.81
35000c500c1fd0ca7	1117.81
35000c500c1fd0c9f	1117.81
35000c500c1fd03ab	1117.81

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to create new partitions in solaris,from the raw disk?

Hi all, I would like to know how to make new partitions.... I currently have allocated 60G for various slices (I have totally used 4 out of 7 available slices... I am running only solaris on my box. My plan is to have entire disk dedicated to solaris and run other OS from within... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
19 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Virtual disk to create and partition

I have to do this exercise: Create a virtual disk Partition this disk Create File system Mount File System I'm using Minix (which runs by Qemu as guest machine) on Linux (Host) Is there anybody who knows how to solve first three point? :confused: Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Guccio
4 Replies

3. Solaris

How to create mirror disk in solaris machine?

hi, I'm newbie in Solaris 10. can someone explain me the steps of how to create mirror disk in Solaris machine. thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wong_Cilacap
5 Replies

4. Solaris

create Virtual NIC in Solaris 10

Hi All, does any body know how to create Virtual NIC in Solaris 10 if any one have good article or reference kindly provide me i try to Google but i didn't find good one (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamisux
7 Replies

5. Solaris

How to create virtual disks in solaris

Hi, I have installed oracle 10g release 2 on solaris 10 Zone. I want to configure ASM in local Zone using virtual disks in place of real disks. I have configured ASM using virtual disks in place real disk in Solaris 10 Global zone. How i can do in local Zone Kindly guid me with proper... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: malikshahid85
1 Replies

6. Solaris

How to create metadb with zpool in Solaris 11

Hi, my root pool is as follows. How can I create a metadb if I want to create SVM volumes? zpool status pool: rpool1 state: ONLINE scan: none requested config: NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM rpool1 ONLINE 0 0 0 c4t1d0s0 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: incredible
10 Replies

7. Solaris

Create a boot disk mirror on Solaris 10 x86

I’m setting up a boot disk mirror on Solaris 10 x86. I’m used to doing it on SPARC, where you can copy the partition table using fmthard. My x86 boot disk has 2 primary partitions, a Solaris one and a diagnostic one. Is there a way to copy those 2 primary partitions to the second disk without... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TKD
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Add disk to zpool

Hi, Quick question. I have a data zpool that consists of 1 disk. pool: data state: ONLINE scrub: none requested config: NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM data ONLINE 0 0 0 c0t50002AC0014B06BEd0 ONLINE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: general_lee
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 virtual disk (ramdisk) create for sun4v (T-2000 simulator) architecture

have been trying to create a 2 GB ramdisk (virtual) to run on my T-2000 simulator (Legion) which has sun4v architecture. I have a SPARC workstation which runs on sun4u architecture with Solaris 10. I have created a ramdisk image using dd command, newfs, then used ufsrestore to restore the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zam_1234
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Replace zpool with another disk

issue, I had a zpool which was full pool_temp1 199G 197G 1.56G 99% ONLINE - pool_temp2 199G 196G 3.09G 98% ONLINE - as you can see, full so I replaced with a larger disk. zpool replace pool_temp1 c3t600144F0FF8BA036000058CC1DB80008d0s0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrodgers
2 Replies
voldiskadm(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     voldiskadm(8)

NAME
voldiskadm - Menu interface for LSM disk administration SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/voldiskadm DESCRIPTION
The voldiskadm script is an interactive tool that presents a menu of possible operations to the user. When an operation is selected, the script guides the user through the necessary steps, and prompts for data needed to complete the operation. The voldiskadm interface is intended mainly for beginning users and for those who prefer a simple method for doing common operations. The interface uses query-based prompts to gather input, with defaults supplied when possible. Context-sensitive help is available at every prompt by typing ?. Also, a list option can be used to get information on available target disks for an operation. For operations that require a device name, one or more names can be specified using a space-separated list. Names in the list can have the form dskn or rdskn (for an entire disk) or dsknp or rdsknp (for a specific disk partition). Disk names relate directly to device names in the /dev/disk and /dev/rdisk directories. The file, /etc/vol/disks.exclude, may be used to exclude disks from use by voldiskadm. Each line of the file specifies the name of a disk to exclude (for example, dsk5). The voldiskadm menu includes the following options: Add or initialize one or more disks This option prompts for one or more disk device addresses. The specified disks can be added to an existing disk group, added to a new disk group, added to a disk group as spares, or initialized but not added to a disk group (reserved for use as replacement disks). After specifying the disks, the user is prompted for a disk group (rootdg by default) and a disk name. If no name is specified, a default disk name is assigned (diskn for disks in the rootdg disk group and diskgroupn for disks in other disk groups). The disks are then checked to ensure that there is no information already on them. If there is, the user is given the option of encapsulating the disks. Encapsulate one or more disks This option prompts for one or more disk addresses. It then calls volencap to encapsulate the specified partitions. Remove a disk This option prompts for a disk, by disk media name. The disk is checked to ensure that no subdisks reside on the disk. If the disk is in use, the operation fails with a recommendation to first move all volumes off the disk. If this disk is the last disk in a disk group, the user is prompted for whether the disk group should be removed from the system, as well. The operation proceeds by calling voldg rmdisk to remove the disk from its disk group. If this is the last disk in its disk group, voldg deport is used, instead, to remove the disk group from use. Remove a disk for replacement This option prompts for a disk, by disk media name. The disk is checked for volumes that would lose all mirrors as a result of the operation. If such volumes exist, they are listed and the user is prompted to ensure that the operation should proceed. The operation proceeds by calling voldg -k rmdisk to dissociate the media record from the physical disk. If some formatted disks are under LSM control but not assigned to a disk group, the user is prompted for whether one of these disks should be used as a replacement. Replace a failed or removed disk This option prompts for a disk media name. The named media record must be dissociated from a disk. If the media record is not in the removed state, unused disks are scanned for matching disk IDs. If a disk with a matching disk ID is found, the user is prompted for whether that disk should be reattached. If a matching disk is not used, the user is prompted for a new disk, by device name. If the named replacement disk has a valid disk header, but is not allocated to a disk group, the user is prompted for whether the disk should be reinitialized. If the named replacement disk is listed as allocated to a disk group or to another host, the user is prompted to ensure that the operation should proceed. If the device is to be initialized, a new disk label is written to the disk to reflect its private and public regions. Given an initialized disk, the operation proceeds by replacing the disk in a disk group with voldg -k adddisk. Mirror volumes on a disk This option prompts for a disk, by disk media name. It then prompts for a destination disk within the same disk group, also by disk media name. Specifying no destination disks indicates that any disk is suitable. The operation proceeds by calling volmirror to mirror the volumes. Mirroring volumes from the boot disk will produce a disk that can be used as an alternate boot disk. This is done by calling the volrootmir command. Move volumes from a disk This option prompts for a disk, by disk media name. It then prompts for a possible list of destination disks, also by disk media name. Specifying no destination disks indicates that any disk is suitable. The operation proceeds by calling volevac to move sub- disks off the disk. Enable access to (import) a disk group This option prompts for a disk, by device address. The operation proceeds by calling voldg import to import the disk group stored on that disk. Disable access to (deport) a disk group This option prompts for a disk group name. The prompt display lists alternate disk groups and the disks (media name and access name) that they contain. The operation proceeds by calling voldg deport. Enable (online) a disk device This option prompts for a disk device. The prompt display allows for a display of disks on the system. The operation only func- tions for disks currently in an offline state. It then proceeds to make the disk accessible. Disable (offline) a disk device This option prompts for a disk device. The prompt display allows for a display of disks on the system. The operation only func- tions for disks currently in an online state but not part of any disk group. It then proceeds to mark the disk as offline such that the Logical Storage Manager makes no further attempt at accessing the disk. Mark a disk as a spare for a disk group This option sets up a disk to be used as a spare device for its disk group. A spare disk can be used to automatically replace a disk that has failed. No space can be used on a disk that is marked as a spare. Turn off the spare flag for a disk This option removes a disk from those that can be used as a spare and returns its space to the general pool of available space. Recover plexes and volumes after replacement This operation performs plex attachment, RAID-5 subdisk recovery, and resynchronize operations for the named volumes, or for volumes residing on the named disks (media name). If no media name or volume operands are specified, the operation applies to all volumes (or to all volumes in the specified disk group). ERRORS
See the voldiskadd(8) reference page for a description of errors related to the initialization operation. FILES
A list of disks to exclude from use by voldiskadm. SEE ALSO
disklabel(8), volintro(8), voldg(8), voldisk(8), voldiskadd(8), voldisksetup(8), volrootmir(8) voldiskadm(8)