Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sorting help with bash
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Sorting help with bash Post 303045064 by nezabudka on Wednesday 11th of March 2020 11:00:23 AM
Old 03-11-2020
Turn on the option sort -k3,3nr --debug and see where the error is

--- Post updated at 19:00 ---

Code:
head -5 file | sort -k3,3nr --debug

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable from bash to perl from bash script

Hi All, I need to pass a variable to perl script from bash script, where in perl i am using if condition. Here is the cmd what i am using in perl FROM_DATE="06/05/2008" TO_DATE="07/05/2008" "perl -ne ' print if ( $_ >="$FROM_DATE" && $_ <= "$TO_DATE" ) ' filename" filename has... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsidh
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash and ksh: variable lost in loop in bash?

Hi, I use AIX (ksh) and Linux (bash) servers. I'm trying to do scripts to will run in both ksh and bash, and most of the time it works. But this time I don't get it in bash (I'm more familar in ksh). The goal of my script if to read a "config file" (like "ini" file), and make various report.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: estienne
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there any better way for sorting in bash/awk

Hi, I have a file which is:- 1 6 4 8 2 3 2 1 9 3 2 1 3 3 5 6 3 1 4 9 7 8 2 3 I would like to sort from field $2 to field $6 for each of the line to:- 1 2 3 4 6 8 2 1 1 2 3 9 3 1 3 3 5 6 4 2 3 7 8 9 I came across this Arrays on example 26-6. But it is much complicated. I am... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to make your bash script run on a machine with csh and bash

hi, i have a script that runs on bash and would like to run it on a machine that has csh and bash. the default setting on that machine is csh. i dont want to change my code to run it with a csh shell. is there any way i can run the script (written in bash) on this machine? in other words is there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using arrays in bash using strings to bash built-in true

I have the following code and for some reason when I call the program using /home/tcdata/tatsh/trunk/hstmy/bin/bash/raytrac.bash --cmod=jcdint.cmod I get hasArgument = hasArgument = true Somehow the array element is returning even though I have not chosen the option. ... (41 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
41 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive File Renaming & Natural Sorting (Bash)

NB! I have already started a thread on this subject on ComputerHope (with the thread title "Recursive File Renaming & Logical Sorting"). However, on ComputerHope they are perhaps more specialized in Windows Command Prompt, and not that much in shell scripts for Bash (I guess). I have a bulk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JewzeyfGhewbelz
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to select text and apply it to a selected file in bash

In the bash below I am asking the user for a panel and reading that into bed. Then asking the user for a file and reading that into file1.Is the grep in bold the correct way to apply the selected panel to the file? I am getting a syntax error. Thank you :) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run several bash commands put in bash command line?

How to run several bash commands put in bash command line without needing and requiring a script file. Because I'm actually a windows guy and new here so for illustration is sort of : $ bash "echo ${PATH} & echo have a nice day!" will do output, for example:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulbadii
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Different behavior between bash shell and bash script for cmd

So I'm trying to pass certain json elements as env vars and use them later on in a script. Sample json: JSON='{ "Element1": "file-123456", "Element2": "Name, of, company written in, a very weird way", "Element3": "path/to/some/file.txt", }' (part of the) script: for s... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: da1
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

In Bash shell - the ps -ef shows only the /bin/bash but the script name is not displayed

In Bash shell - the ps -ef shows only the /bin/bash but the script name is not displayed ? Is there any way to get the script names for the process command ? --- Post updated at 08:39 AM --- in KSH (Korn Shell), my command output shows the script names but when run in the Bash Shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: i4ismail
3 Replies
SLABTOP(1)							   User Commands							SLABTOP(1)

NAME
slabtop - display kernel slab cache information in real time SYNOPSIS
slabtop [options] DESCRIPTION
slabtop displays detailed kernel slab cache information in real time. It displays a listing of the top caches sorted by one of the listed sort criteria. It also displays a statistics header filled with slab layer information. OPTIONS
Normal invocation of slabtop does not require any options. The behavior, however, can be fine-tuned by specifying one or more of the fol- lowing flags: -d, --delay=N Refresh the display every n in seconds. By default, slabtop refreshes the display every three seconds. To exit the program, hit q. -s, --sort=S Sort by S, where S is one of the sort criteria. -o, --once Display the output once and then exit. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display usage information and exit. SORT CRITERIA
The following are valid sort criteria used to sort the individual slab caches and thereby determine what are the "top" slab caches to dis- play. The default sort criteria is to sort by the number of objects ("o"). The sort criteria can also be changed while slabtop is running by pressing the associated character. character description header a number of active objects ACTIVE b objects per slab OBJ/SLAB c cache size CACHE SIZE l number of slabs SLABS v number of active slabs N/A n name NAME o number of objects OBJS p pages per slab N/A s object size OBJ SIZE u cache utilization USE COMMANDS
slabtop accepts keyboard commands from the user during use. The following are supported. In the case of letters, both cases are accepted. Each of the valid sort characters are also accepted, to change the sort routine. See the section SORT CRITERIA. <SPACEBAR> Refresh the screen. Q Quit the program. FILES
/proc/slabinfo slab information SEE ALSO
free(1), ps(1), top(1), vmstat(8) NOTES
Currently, slabtop requires a 2.4 or later kernel (specifically, a version 1.1 or later /proc/slabinfo). Kernel 2.2 should be supported in the future. The slabtop statistic header is tracking how many bytes of slabs are being used and it not a measure of physical memory. The 'Slab' field in the /proc/meminfo file is tracking information about used slab physical memory. AUTHORS
Written by Chris Rivera and Robert Love. slabtop was inspired by Martin Bligh's perl script, vmtop. REPORTING BUGS
Please send bug reports to <procps@freelists.org> procps-ng June 2011 SLABTOP(1)