Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Should I use a CoW filesystem on my PC if I only wanted snapshot capabilities ? Post 303045040 by sreyan32 on Wednesday 11th of March 2020 05:30:17 AM
Old 03-11-2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by stomp
Encryption makes the backup task more difficult.
Unfortunately I need it, I can't avoid it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stomp
Since you're a beginner, a CloneZilla can be a fallback solution until you're famillar enough with your linux os. With CloneZilla you can save and restore the os partition without knowing very much about linux.
Okay Clonezilla is not an option for me. Simply because I don't have that much of space to spare. It seems I am not getting the answer that I want because I am not asking the right questions.

So let me apologize for that, and let me ask if the following workflow is possible on Linux.
  1. I have a single 1 TB SATA hard disk.
  2. I will be using an encrypted LVM with ext4 formatting.
  3. Now lets say before an update or a dist-upgrade I take a snapshot of the root partition and store that snapshot in the root partition itself.
  4. The upgrade or update fails or is causing problems, and the system is no longer bootable to my desktop.
  5. I boot into a live CD.
  6. Mount my encrypted partitions, and /proc, /sys and /dev from the live CD.
  7. Chroot into my system.
  8. Find the saved snapshot.
  9. Revert it.
  10. Exit from Live CD environment and boot back to the reverted system.

Main Challenges:
  1. Will the backup process work ?
  2. Will the Live CD of my OS contain CLI tools to decrypt encrypted partitions ?

As you can see, I cannot forego full-disk encryption nor do I have that much space or time for a full cold boot snapshot of a partition.

So is the above workflow possible ?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Capabilities?

We are looking into buying a new software, billing software that is, and want to know if you can run that on the same UNIX server as another major software? Is there a limit to the different types of software Unix can run, or is it like windows where you can install as many as you like? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoz
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

p570 Capabilities

Hi there. I've been tasked with making a new design for our Unix systems :eek: Now the question I have is; How many LPARs can a p570 hold WITHOUT using a VIO Server. Many Thanks Kees (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KeesH
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

Adding capabilities to an RPM

Hi. I downloaded a package that could only be installed on RHEL5, and not 4 or 3, so I got the source in order to compile it on RHEL 3 so hopefully it will work on all versions. So I have the source for a working package, but when I build it in RHEL 3 and then try to install it in RHEL 5, it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boaz
6 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Wanted: Geographically distributed filesystem solution

I'm looking for a means to ensure that servers in the two or three datacenters, connected in a ring via IP through two ISPs, can distribute load and/or replicate data among at least two SAN-class disk devices. I want to evaluate several solutions, and I'm open to solutions ranging from free,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: otheus
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Cannot use filesystem while sending a snapshot

I've got a Solaris 11 Express installed on my machine. I have created a raidz2 zpool named shares and a simple one-disc zpool named backup. I have made a script that would send a daily snapshot of shares to backup. I use these commands zfs snapshot shares@DDMMRRRRHHMM zfs send -i shares@....... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RychnD
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Use of Capabilities

I wonder if anyone could assist with some problems I'm having with Linux Capabilities and their use when using the commands "nice" and "schedtool". I run a couple of PCs, one is an elderly AMD Sempron 2800+ (32-bit, 2GHz clock and 3GB memory) that is used as a family multimedia system running... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MikeGM
3 Replies

7. Linux

Broadcom under Fedora 18 (Spherical Cow)

So I'm having a problem getting a Broadcom BCM4312 wireless controller to work under the broadcom-wl module $uname Linux 3.8.11-200.fc18.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed May 1 19:44:27 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux lspci -v 05:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Skrynesaver
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux capabilities discussion

Hi I'm trying to compile my linux kernel with CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES=y. any idea what this thing does ?? Also another question , If I compile the kernel that I'm currently using , what'll happen ? ~cheers (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: leghorn
3 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Anybody want to talk about Dirty Cow?

Hi All, How worried is everyone about the Dirty Cow Linux exploit? Has anybody experienced attacks yet? From the research I've done it seems that the exploit is "reliable" (that is it works nearly every time on vulverable systems) which is not good news. We all believe that Unix/Linux... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hicksd8
3 Replies
backintime(1)							   USER COMMANDS						     backintime(1)

NAME
backintime - a simple backup tool for Linux. This is command line tool. The graphical tools are: backintime-gnome and backintime-kde4. SYNOPSIS
backintime [ --backup | --backup-job | --snapshots-path | --snapshots-list | --snapshots-list-path | --last-snapshot | --last-snapshot-path | --help | --version | --license ] DESCRIPTION
Back In Time is a simple backup tool for Linux. The backup is done by taking snapshots of a specified set of folders. All you have to do is configure: where to save snapshots, what folders to backup. You can also specify a backup schedule: disabled, every 5 minutes, every 10 minutes, every hour, every day, every week, every month. To configure it use one of the graphical interfaces available (backintime-gnome or backintime-kde4). It acts as a 'user mode' backup tool. This means that you can backup/restore only folders you have write access to (actually you can backup read-only folders, but you can't restore them). If you want to run it as root you need to use 'su'. A new snapshot is created only if something changed since the last snapshot (if any). A snapshot contains all the files from the selected folders (except for exclude patterns). In order to reduce disk space it use hard-links (if possible) between snapshots for unchanged files. This way a file of 10Mb, unchanged for 10 snapshots, will use only 10Mb on the disk. When you restore a file 'A', if it already exists on the file system it will be renamed to 'A.backup.currentdate'. For automatic backup it use 'cron' so there is no need for a daemon, but 'cron' must be running. user-callback During backup process the application can call a user callback at different steps. This callback is "$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/backintime/user- callback" (by default $XDG_CONFIG_HOME is ~/.config). The first argument is the progile id (1=Main Profile, ...). The second argument is the progile name. The third argument is the reason: 1 Backup process begins. 2 Backup process ends. 3 A new snapshot was taken. The extra arguments are snapshot ID and snapshot path. 4 There was an error. The second argument is the error code. Error codes: 1 The application is not configured. 2 A "take snapshot" process is already running. 3 Can't find snapshots folder (is it on a removable drive ?). 4 A snapshot for "now" already exist. OPTIONS
-b, --backup take a snapshot now (if needed) --backup-job take a snapshot (if needed) depending on schedule rules (used for cron jobs) --snapshots-path display path where is saves the snapshots (if configured) --snapshots-list display the list of snapshot IDs (if any) --snapshots-list-path display the paths to snapshots (if any) --last-snapshot display last snapshot ID (if any) --last-snapshot-path display the path to the last snapshot (if any) -h, --help display a short help -v, --version show version --license show license SEE ALSO
backintime-gnome, backintime-kde4. Back In Time also has a website: http://backintime.le-web.org AUTHOR
This manual page was written by BIT Team (<bit-team@lists.launchpad.net>). version 1.0.10 Mars 2009 backintime(1)