Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers UNIX: Executing command using variable Post 303044941 by nezabudka on Monday 9th of March 2020 10:45:11 AM
Old 03-09-2020
Hi
Because the shell must first create a channel and then expand the variables.
And if it expands a variable, it skips the channel creation queue and tries to interpret the entire line as one command
This User Gave Thanks to nezabudka For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executing UNIX command from java on NT

Hi - I am totally new to UNIX so please bear with me... I run a java program on Win NT server to do file ftp to UNIX server. I log in, cd, create ftp file on UNIX and quit from my java progam - all works well. Now I want to execute a script on UNIX. At the UNIX 'console'/'shell' (!?) you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CJ Walt
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

taking every variable and executing the command

Hi, I am trying to export some 50 tables and i want to write a loop and execute the script for every table. I did for one table and its running. Can any one help me for setting a loop and running the script for all the tables thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srichunduru
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing *.bat file on windows from Unix box via ftp command

I have created get_list.bat file containing following line: dir /B /O-d >file_list.txt I am executing ftp command from Unix box and transferring get_list.bat file to windows server. In my next ftp command I am trying to execute this test.bat file by entering this line: get_list or by... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: alx
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executing a unix command

Hi, I need to execute the following unix command through my java code - zip -e When i execute this command from the command prompt, i am prompted for a password in the following manner - Enter password: Verify password: Is it possible to provide the password inthe first command itself... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacob23
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix script for repeating a command with a variable

Hi need urgent help , for creating unix script . To collect system name,This is command i want to execute n (integer) no. of times for for a differnt IP addresses .IP is variable in every execution. Other string & collecter name is constant . snmpGet %IP% sysName.0 -c <string> -S <datacollecter... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: langdatyagi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash variable - unix command

I want to just run this command from a bash script and put it in variable. date '+%M' gives the minutes in solaris. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: photon
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

invoke unix variable in SED command

Hi, I am trying tio invoke unix variable in a sed command like below, but it seems to be failing.. a=1 sed -n '$a,$p' file.txt ### Failing but a=1 sed -n '1,$p' files.txt ### Works fine Please help me to fix this... Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjayraghavan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a variable that strores a unix command string

Hi: I have a touble with executing a variable that stores a unix command string. The following would be excuted fine: command='ls -l' `echo $command` However, the following gives me an error: command='(uuencode file1 file1; uuencode file2 file2) | mailx email_id' `echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sagewise
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error executing sqlcmd command through UNIX

Hi All, I am trying to execute a set of sql statements in sql server 2008 using the sqlcmd command in unix and passing the query in the "input" parameter. It is giving me an error "incorrect syntax near 2014". The below statement is giving an error : declare date_val datetime, ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahul Raj
4 Replies

10. Solaris

How to find IP of user machine executing a particular UNIX command?

Hello, Our applications are deployed in SunOS 5.10 servers. All the team members use a same username/pwd to login to the box. Very often we face issue were we could see that weblogic server instance are KILLED and we are not able to trace who executed kill command. All team members use PUTTY to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santtarius
2 Replies
close(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  close(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
close - Close an open channel SYNOPSIS
close channelId _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Closes the channel given by channelId. ChannelId must be an identifier for an open channel such as a Tcl standard channel (stdin, stdout, or stderr), the return value from an invocation of open or socket, or the result of a channel creation command provided by a Tcl extension. All buffered output is flushed to the channel's output device, any buffered input is discarded, the underlying file or device is closed, and channelId becomes unavailable for use. If the channel is blocking, the command does not return until all output is flushed. If the channel is nonblocking and there is unflushed output, the channel remains open and the command returns immediately; output will be flushed in the background and the channel will be closed when all the flushing is complete. If channelId is a blocking channel for a command pipeline then close waits for the child processes to complete. If the channel is shared between interpreters, then close makes channelId unavailable in the invoking interpreter but has no other effect until all of the sharing interpreters have closed the channel. When the last interpreter in which the channel is registered invokes close, the cleanup actions described above occur. See the interp command for a description of channel sharing. Channels are automatically closed when an interpreter is destroyed and when the process exits. Channels are switched to blocking mode, to ensure that all output is correctly flushed before the process exits. The command returns an empty string, and may generate an error if an error occurs while flushing output. If a command in a command pipe- line created with open returns an error, close generates an error (similar to the exec command.) EXAMPLE
This illustrates how you can use Tcl to ensure that files get closed even when errors happen by combining catch, close and return: proc withOpenFile {filename channelVar script} { upvar 1 $channelVar chan set chan [open $filename] catch { uplevel 1 $script } result options close $chan return -options $options $result } SEE ALSO
file(n), open(n), socket(n), eof(n), Tcl_StandardChannels(3) KEYWORDS
blocking, channel, close, nonblocking Tcl 7.5 close(n)