Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers UNIX: Executing command using variable Post 303044937 by Raza Ali on Monday 9th of March 2020 10:07:39 AM
Old 03-09-2020
Hi Jake,

It gives another error.

Code:
[alepo@a2e-rep-db tmp]$ cat test55.sh
#!/bin/bash
a="df -kh\|head -2"
echo "$a"
$a
[alepo@a2e-rep-db tmp]$
[alepo@a2e-rep-db tmp]$ sh test55.sh
df -kh\|head -2
df: invalid option -- '\'
Try 'df --help' for more information.
[alepo@a2e-rep-db tmp]$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executing UNIX command from java on NT

Hi - I am totally new to UNIX so please bear with me... I run a java program on Win NT server to do file ftp to UNIX server. I log in, cd, create ftp file on UNIX and quit from my java progam - all works well. Now I want to execute a script on UNIX. At the UNIX 'console'/'shell' (!?) you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CJ Walt
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

taking every variable and executing the command

Hi, I am trying to export some 50 tables and i want to write a loop and execute the script for every table. I did for one table and its running. Can any one help me for setting a loop and running the script for all the tables thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srichunduru
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing *.bat file on windows from Unix box via ftp command

I have created get_list.bat file containing following line: dir /B /O-d >file_list.txt I am executing ftp command from Unix box and transferring get_list.bat file to windows server. In my next ftp command I am trying to execute this test.bat file by entering this line: get_list or by... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: alx
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executing a unix command

Hi, I need to execute the following unix command through my java code - zip -e When i execute this command from the command prompt, i am prompted for a password in the following manner - Enter password: Verify password: Is it possible to provide the password inthe first command itself... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacob23
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix script for repeating a command with a variable

Hi need urgent help , for creating unix script . To collect system name,This is command i want to execute n (integer) no. of times for for a differnt IP addresses .IP is variable in every execution. Other string & collecter name is constant . snmpGet %IP% sysName.0 -c <string> -S <datacollecter... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: langdatyagi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash variable - unix command

I want to just run this command from a bash script and put it in variable. date '+%M' gives the minutes in solaris. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: photon
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

invoke unix variable in SED command

Hi, I am trying tio invoke unix variable in a sed command like below, but it seems to be failing.. a=1 sed -n '$a,$p' file.txt ### Failing but a=1 sed -n '1,$p' files.txt ### Works fine Please help me to fix this... Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjayraghavan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a variable that strores a unix command string

Hi: I have a touble with executing a variable that stores a unix command string. The following would be excuted fine: command='ls -l' `echo $command` However, the following gives me an error: command='(uuencode file1 file1; uuencode file2 file2) | mailx email_id' `echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sagewise
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error executing sqlcmd command through UNIX

Hi All, I am trying to execute a set of sql statements in sql server 2008 using the sqlcmd command in unix and passing the query in the "input" parameter. It is giving me an error "incorrect syntax near 2014". The below statement is giving an error : declare date_val datetime, ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahul Raj
4 Replies

10. Solaris

How to find IP of user machine executing a particular UNIX command?

Hello, Our applications are deployed in SunOS 5.10 servers. All the team members use a same username/pwd to login to the box. Very often we face issue were we could see that weblogic server instance are KILLED and we are not able to trace who executed kill command. All team members use PUTTY to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santtarius
2 Replies
catch(1T)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							 catch(1T)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
catch - Evaluate script and trap exceptional returns SYNOPSIS
catch script ?varName? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The catch command may be used to prevent errors from aborting command interpretation. The catch command calls the Tcl interpreter recur- sively to execute script, and always returns without raising an error, regardless of any errors that might occur while executing script. If script raises an error, catch will return a non-zero integer value corresponding to the exceptional return code returned by evaluation of script. Tcl defines the normal return code from script evaluation to be zero(0), or TCL_OK. Tcl also defines four exceptional return codes: 1 (TCL_ERROR), 2 (TCL_RETURN), 3 (TCL_BREAK), and 4 (TCL_CONTINUE). Errors during evaluation of a script are indicated by a return code of TCL_ERROR. The other exceptional return codes are returned by the return, break, and continue commands and in other special situa- tions as documented. Tcl packages can define new commands that return other integer values as return codes as well, and scripts that make use of the return -code command can also have return codes other than the five defined by Tcl. If the varName argument is given, then the variable it names is set to the result of the script evaluation. When the return code from the script is 1 (TCL_ERROR), the value stored in varName is an error message. When the return code from the script is 0 (TCL_OK), the value stored in resultVarName is the value returned from script. If script does not raise an error, catch will return 0 (TCL_OK) and set the variable to the value returned from script. Note that catch catches all exceptions, including those generated by break and continue as well as errors. The only errors that are not caught are syntax errors found when the script is compiled. This is because the catch command only catches errors during runtime. When the catch statement is compiled, the script is compiled as well and any syntax errors will generate a Tcl error. EXAMPLES
The catch command may be used in an if to branch based on the success of a script. if { [catch {open $someFile w} fid] } { puts stderr "Could not open $someFile for writing $fid" exit 1 } The catch command will not catch compiled syntax errors. The first time proc foo is called, the body will be compiled and a Tcl error will be generated. proc foo {} { catch {expr {1 +- }} } SEE ALSO
break(1T), continue(1T), error(1T), return(1T), tclvars(1T) KEYWORDS
catch, error ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWTcl | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Uncommitted | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for Tcl is available on http://opensolaris.org. Tcl 8.0 catch(1T)