Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Using variables to copy files with increasing numerical names. Post 303044919 by nezabudka on Monday 9th of March 2020 04:38:59 AM
Old 03-09-2020
Hi
try this workaround
Code:
eval cp path/to/files/{$first..$last}.dat ./

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

copy files with invalid names

Hi all, I have to copy a directory to another location. While doing so with the cp command I got some errors due to invalid filenames of some files. For example, some files have a colon in their names, which is throwing error. These files are not copied to the destination. How to copy... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fermisoft
1 Replies

2. Programming

Adding files of numerical data

Hi I was hoping that maybe someone could help me with a small piece of C code. I have a number of files, which are all of similar layout ie. three lines of text and 5-6 columns of numerical data. I need to add each of the elements of the second column in one file to their counterparts in the second... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boucho
17 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare files by numerical value

Hi everyone, I would love to have a script that does the following: I have one file that looks like that: ATOM 1 BB SER 1 1 -31.958 -25.125 -11.061 1.00 0.00 ATOM 3 BB GLY 1 2 -32.079 -26.085 -14.466 1.00 0.00 ATOM 4 BB VAL 1 3 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s-layer
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i copy a list of files with different names into others directory have the same name

dear all. how can i copy a list of files with different names into others directory have the same name like i have 3 files 10_10 10_10_11 10_10_11_12 and i have 3 directories 10_10 10_10_11 10_10_11_12 how can i make a loop to cp this files into the directory have the same name like... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: t17
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i copy a list of files with different names into others directory have the same name?

dear all. how can i copy a list of files with different names into others directory have the same name like i have 3 files 10_10 10_10_11 10_10_11_12 and i have 3 directories 10_10 10_10_11 10_10_11_12 how can i make a loop to cp this files into the directory have the same name like... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: t17
31 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy files followed by list of names of all the files in /etc?

....... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcbuilder
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding File Names Ending In 3 Random Numerical Characters

Hi, I have a series of files (upwards of 500) the filename format is as follows CC10-1234P1999.WGS84.p190 each of this files is in a directory named for the file but excluding the extension. Now the last three numeric characters, in this case 999, can be anything from 001 to 999, I need to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: roche.j.mike
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List files according to the numerical value

Hi, I have a large number of files which are named as follows. VF_50, VF_100, VF_150, VF_250, VF_300, VF_350, VF_400, VF_450, VF_500. When I do an 'ls' it arranges the files in the following way VF_100, VF_150, VF_250, VF_300, VF_350, VF_400, VF_450, VF_50, VF_500. Is there a way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting particular files with a numerical suffix

Hello I have a directory with a list of files which have a particular numerical suffix. E.g filename_0 filename_1 filename_18500 filename_10000 I want to delete all files from this directory which have a filename which have a numerical suffix greater than 10540. So any files... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamal_p_99
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create files with two or more variables in its names?

Hi all, Iam writing a perl script to create many files with variables in their name. i am able to do it, if iam using only one variable. But with two variables the file names are NOT getting generated in the way i want. plz help me out. 1. open(SHW,">divw_unsigned_50_50_$k.reset") or die... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: twistedpair
4 Replies
YEXPAND(1)						      General Commands Manual							YEXPAND(1)

NAME
yexpand - tool to expand environment variables in Nypatchy cradles SYNOPSIS
yexpand inputfile [ outputfile ] DESCRIPTION
yexpand is a very simple script to expand environment variables in a text file to their current values in the shell environment. It was written to be used with nypatchy cradles. It is recommended you not try to use it for any other purposes (note BUGS below). USAGE
yexpand takes inputfile as input, replaces all instances of shell variables (in the form $VARIABLE or ${VARIABLE}) with their current val- ues in the environment, and saves the result to outputfile. Undefined variables are replaced with the empty string. If outputfile is not given, the result is instead saved to the current directory as a file of the same name as inputfile. Thus an input file in the current directory will be overwritten. BUGS
This script is very simple-minded. Since it basically just echos its input file as a here-doc, it will attempt to perform all types of shell substitution (command substitution, etc.) as well as variable substitution. Hence it is likely to fail on anything except the very simplest text files. Additionally, this script creates a temporary file. The file is created in the current directory, so there should not be security implica- tions. However, any existing file named file.yexp (where file is the basename of inputfile) in the current directory will be overwritten and then deleted. SEE ALSO
fcasplit(1), nycheck(1), nydiff(1), nyindex(1), nylist(1), nymerge(1), nypatchy(1), nyshell(1), nysynopt(1), nytidy(1) The reference manual for the Nypatchy suite of programs is available in compressed PostScript format at the following URL: http://wwwasdoc.web.cern.ch/wwwasdoc/psdir/p5refman.ps.gz AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Kevin McCarty <kmccarty@debian.org> for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). It is licensed under the GNU General Public License, version 2 or later (at your choice). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) Kevin B. McCarty, 2008. Mar 12, 2008 YEXPAND(1)