Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Replace a field in a comma separated file Post 303044857 by H squared on Thursday 5th of March 2020 10:17:05 AM
Old 03-05-2020
Thanks.
I shall try and update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgersh99
it's up to you to implement the shell wrapper script, but...
for the 3 fields (5,8 and 12) to be modified, awk should be called as:
Code:
awk -v fld='5,8,12' -f hsquared.awk myFile.csv

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Its PERL + Comma separated seventh field

Hi Friends, I'm working on a perl script, which seems to be simpler. But I'm very new to PERL scripting. I have a comma separated data file, from which I need to extract only the seventh field data out of available twenty fields to an array using perl. Any help would be much appreciated. ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganapati
17 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace comma by space for specified field in record

Hi, i want to replace comma by space for specified field in record, i mean i want to replace the commas in the 4th field by space. and rest all is same throught the record. the record is 16458,99,001,"RIMOUSKI, QC",418,"N",7,EST,EDT,902 16458,99,002,"CHANDLER,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghavendra.cse
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to format file into comma separated field

Guys, Need you help, i have a a file content that look like this. Nokia 3330 <spaces><spaces><more spaces>+76451883874 Nokia 3610 +87467361615 so on and so forth, - there are so many spaces in between. - e.g.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shtobias
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting string in between field in comma separated file

Hello Mates, I have one txt file having commo seperated values. I have to insert string "FALSE" in 2nd field from the end. E.G SE18 6RN,,,,5439070,1786840,,1000002148671600,123434 Out put should be: SE18 6RN,,,,5439070,1786840,FALSE,1000002148671600,123434 Can some one help me to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comma separated file

Hi all, I have the following files types: FileA: 100, 23, 33, FileB: 22, 45, 78, and i want to make File C: 100,22 23,45 33,78 any nice suggestions for making it easy. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hen1610
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help - comma inside double quote in comma separated csv,

Hello there, I have a comma separated csv , and all the text field is wrapped by double quote. Issue is some text field contain comma as well inside double quote. so it is difficult to process. Input in the csv file is , 1,234,"abc,12,gh","GH234TY",34 I need output like below,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Uttam Maji
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split the comma separated file?

Hi, I have a filein unix like ABC,CDE BCD,KHL and the output i need is like column1 column2 ABC,CDE ABC ABC,CDE CDE BCD,KHL BCD BCD,KHL KHL. Can some body help me out? Hi, The code is working fine. But in my file each row does not have always 1 comma. It may... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagdishrout
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[solved] Comma separated values to space separated

Hi, I have a large number of files which are written as csv (comma-separated values). Does anyone know of simple sed/awk command do achieve this? Thanks! ---------- Post updated at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:54 AM ---------- Guess I asked this too soon. Found the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comma separated to rows based on field

Hi to all, I have a file like: chr1 a1 a2 a3 a4 a5 a6,a7,a8,a9 chr1 b1 b2 b3 b4 b5 b6,b7 chr2 c1 c2 c3 c4 c5 c6,c7,c8,c9,c10 ... I would like an output like this: chr1 a6 chr1 a7 chr1 a8 chr1 a9 chr1 b6 chr1 b7 chr2 c6 chr2 c7 chr2 c8 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aec
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to parse comma separated field and removing comma in between number and double quotes

Hi Experts, Please support I have below data in file in comma seperated, but 4th column is containing comma in between numbers, bcz of which when i tried to parse the file the column 6th value(5049641141) is being removed from the file and value(222.82) in column 5 becoming value of column6. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: as7951
3 Replies
XTERMCONTROL(1) 						   User Commands						   XTERMCONTROL(1)

NAME
xtermcontrol - dynamic control of XFree86 xterm properties. SYNOPSIS
xtermcontrol [OPTIONS]... DESCRIPTION
xtermcontrol makes it easy to change colors, title, font and geometry of a running XFree86 xterm(1), as well as to report the current set- tings of the aforementioned properties. Window manipulations de-/iconify, raise/lower, maximize/restore and reset are also supported. To complete the feature set; xtermcontrol lets advanced users issue any xterm control sequence of their choosing. OPTIONS
--fg=COLOR Set foreground color (see also COLOR NAMES). --bg=COLOR Set background color. --colorN=COLOR Set N'th [0-15] color. --highlight=COLOR Set highlight color. --cursor=COLOR Set cursor color. --mouse-fg=COLOR Set mouse pointer foreground color. --mouse-bg=COLOR Set mouse pointer background color. --font=FONT Set font name (see also FONT NAMES). Alternatively it is possible to specify a fontmenu index as '#[0-6]' or navigate the fontmenu by relative sizes as '#+N' or '#-N', where N is an optional integer. --title=STRING Set window title. Note that mechanisms like the bash(1) PROMPT_COMMAND may overwrite the title. --geometry=WIDTHxHEIGHT+XOFF+YOFF Set size and/or position. Through its control sequences the xterm only recognize positive XOFF and YOFF offsets, which are pixels relative to the upper left hand corner of the display. xtermcontrol is therefore unable to handle negative offsets as described in the X(7x) GEOMETRY SPECIFICATIONS and therefore truncates negative values to zero. --get-fg Report foreground color. --get-bg Report background color. --get-colorN Report N'th [0-15] color. --get-highlight Report highlight color. --get-cursor Report cursor color. --get-mouse-fg Report mouse pointer foreground color. --get-mouse-bg Report mouse pointer background color. --get-font Report font. --get-title Report window title. --get-geometry Report size and position. The size of the text area is reported in characters and the position is reported in pixels relative to the upper left hand corner of the display. --maximize Maximize window. --restore Restore maximized window. --iconify Iconify window. --de-iconify De-iconify window. --raise Raise window. --lower Lower window. --reset Full reset. --raw=CTLSEQS Issue raw control sequence (see also XTERM CONTROL SEQUENCES). --file=FILE Force xtermcontrol to read configurations (see also CONFIGURATION) from FILE instead of the standard personal initialization file ~/.xtermcontrol. --force, -f Skip TERM environment variable check. --verbose, -v Print verbose reports. --help, -h Print help message and exit. --version Print the version number and exit. CONFIGURATION
xtermcontrol reads a default, ~/.xtermcontrol, or a user specified configuration file on startup. Each line in the file is either a com- ment or contains an attribute. Attributes consist of a keyword and an associated value: keyword = value # comment The valid keyword/value combinations are: foreground="COLOR" background="COLOR" highlight="COLOR" cursor="COLOR" mouse-foreground="COLOR" mouse-background="COLOR" geometry="WIDTHxHEIGHT+XOFF+YOFF" font="FONT" color0="COLOR" color1="COLOR" color2="COLOR" color3="COLOR" color4="COLOR" color5="COLOR" color6="COLOR" color7="COLOR" color8="COLOR" color9="COLOR" color10="COLOR" color11="COLOR" color12="COLOR" color13="COLOR" color14="COLOR" color15="COLOR" Whitespace is ignored in attributes unless within a quoted value. The character '#' is taken to begin a comment. Each '#' and all remaining characters on that line is ignored. FONT NAMES
xtermcontrol accepts any X(7x) FONT NAMES. Font names like '-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--10-100-75-75-m-60-iso8859-1' are very cumber- some to write, so it is convenient to make use of aliases, e.g. 'fixed' or '8x13', if present in fonts.alias files of the font directo- ries. COLOR NAMES
xtermcontrol accepts any X(7x) COLOR NAMES. Basically this means that colors are specified by name or rgb value, e.g. 'blue', 'rgb:0000/0000/FFFF' or '#00F'. Colors are typically reported by the xterm in a device-dependent numerical form, e.g. 'rgb:0000/0000/FFFF'. Note that old syntax rgb values should always be quoted to avoid '#' being interpreted as the beginning of a comment by the shell (see also FILES). XTERM CONTROL SEQUENCES
The secret behind xtermcontrol is xterm control sequences. All the possible (there are a plethora of them) control sequences are documented in ctlseqs.txt, found in the xterm(1) distribution (see also FILES). TROUBLESHOOTING
If read/write permissions on the tty's are changed so that special group membership is required to be able to write to the pseudo terminal, the easiest workaround is to install xtermcontrol setuid root. Xterm(1) has three resources, allowWindowOps, allowTitleOps, and allowFontOps, that enables or disables special operations which xtermcon- trol relies on. If any of these resources are set (or defaults) to 'false' xtermcontrol may hang. The resources corresponds to xtermcon- trol options as: allowWindowOps: --raise --lower --restore --maximize --iconify --de-iconify --get-title --geometry --get-geometry allowTitleOps: --title allowFontOps: --font --get-font All three resources can usually be enabled for the current xterm session via a menu; ctrl+rightclick and look for menu item names like 'Allow Window Ops'. To set these resource values persistently you can add the following to either your local ~/.Xdefaults file, or to a system-wide resource file like /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm: *VT100.allowWindowOps: true *VT100.allowTitleOps: true *VT100.allowFontOps: true FILES
<XRoot>/X11/rgb.txt Default rgb color name file location. ctlseqs.txt Xterm control sequences documentation. Distributed with xterm from http://dickey.his.com/xterm/ SEE ALSO
xterm(1), X(7x) COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002-2009 Jess Thrysoee <jess@thrysoee.dk> xtermcontrol 2.10 October 17, 2009 XTERMCONTROL(1)