Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Shell command to print full path to current home directory Post 303044736 by LMHmedchem on Monday 2nd of March 2020 11:17:40 PM
Old 03-03-2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubler_XL
Do the commands realpath or readlink (with or without -f) help here at all?

Or perhaps the Cwd module from perl:
Code:
perl -MCwd -e 'print Cwd::realpath($ARGV[0])' /home/user_name

I have tried the following where dpi.txt is a file in /home/user_name
Code:
$ pwd
/home/user_name

realpath dpi.txt
realpath -L dpi.txt
realpath -P dpi.txt

All of these result in /home/user_name/dpi.txt

The perl code output looked a bit odd be seemed to print the same thing. The readlink command gave the same results a realpath.

It looks like findmnt may give me what I need. Skipping allot of stuff,
Code:
├─/mnt/linux_data                     /dev/sdb3   ext4      rw,relatime,seclabel,data=ordered
├─/home                               /dev/sdb3[/01_centos]

This seems to indicate that /home is located on /dev/sdb3/01_centos , which is /mnt/linux_data/01_centos which is expected.

LMHmedchem

Last edited by LMHmedchem; 03-03-2020 at 12:28 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

home directory in search path

Is it unsafe to put your own home directory (a regular user) in your search path? I am writing useful shell scripts, but don't have the permissions to put them in /usr/bin. (Korn shell) thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpprial
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

want the current directory without the absolute path

Hi guys I'm trying to move an empty directory to the $TRASH directory. Say the directory i have is ./hello/hello1/hello2 and i'm in hello2, and i want hello2 moved. this code: TRASH=$home/deleted find "$TRASH/$1" -type d -exec rmdir { } \; 2>/dev/null mv -f $1 $TRASH 2>/dev/null works... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: olimiles
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting by Full directory path

I have a text file with full list of files with their full path. I wanted to sort it by directory then files then subdirectory by alphabetically. When I used the sort command it doesn't give like what I want. Could somebody help me on this. Here is the ex: This is what I'm getting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: javidraaj
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Present Working Directory (not the full path)

Hi, Is there a command that tells you right away the current working directory? I know the command "pwd", but that one gives the full path. if pwd gives me: /a/b/c/d/ggg/HERE I want something that will give me: HERE Thanks, Gaurab (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurab
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I get an ls -l to not show the full directory path?

Hey I'm new to the forums here, and I'm seeking help for this script that I'm writing. When I do ls -l of a directory it shows the full pathname for files in it. For example, if the directory is /internet/post/forum/ and the file is topic, it currently shows internet/post/forum/topic. What's the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unity04
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

$0 doesn't have full directory path

I'm running AIX unix korn shell. If I echo $0, I only get the filename, it does not have the directory name also. So when I do: `dirname $0` it returns a . (meaning current directory). How get $0 to return the full path/filename? Do I need something in my .profile? Thank you. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sboxtops
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get the current directory Path?

How to get the current directory Path in your prompt? i am getting a $ mark only in my prompt? Please help me with this (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhishek0683
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract directory name from the full directory path in UNIX using shell scripting

My input is as below : /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/loyal/IFIND.HELLO.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/triumph/ifind.triumph.txt From the above input I want to extract the file names only . Basically I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: IshuGupta
5 Replies

10. Linux

How to print full path name along with file extension?

Hi I have a requirement like this: /abc/a/x.txt /abc/a/y.txt /abc/b/x.gz /abc/b/y.txt I need output like this: /abc/a:*.txt /abc/b:*.txt /abc/b:*.gz I have tried find /abc -type f -name "*.*" ||awk -F . '{print $NF}' it is print only extensions without path name. Please... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lijjumathew
5 Replies
READLINK(1)                                                        User Commands                                                       READLINK(1)

NAME
readlink - print resolved symbolic links or canonical file names SYNOPSIS
readlink [OPTION]... FILE... DESCRIPTION
Note realpath(1) is the preferred command to use for canonicalization functionality. Print value of a symbolic link or canonical file name -f, --canonicalize canonicalize by following every symlink in every component of the given name recursively; all but the last component must exist -e, --canonicalize-existing canonicalize by following every symlink in every component of the given name recursively, all components must exist -m, --canonicalize-missing canonicalize by following every symlink in every component of the given name recursively, without requirements on components exis- tence -n, --no-newline do not output the trailing delimiter -q, --quiet, -s, --silent suppress most error messages (on by default) -v, --verbose report error messages -z, --zero end each output line with NUL, not newline --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit AUTHOR
Written by Dmitry V. Levin. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report readlink translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
readlink(2), realpath(1), realpath(3) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/readlink> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) readlink invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 READLINK(1)