Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to extract string between two specified characters and end of line? Post 303044714 by Dip_1985 on Monday 2nd of March 2020 10:46:20 AM
Old 03-02-2020
I used this
Code:
sed 's/.*\$//' test.txt >> aaa.txt

This command works to fetch the data correctly from the $$ till the end of line. But its not sufficing the condition to fetch data from $$ to .

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment
Use code tags as required by rules please.
Second time this is mentioned, do not ignore it.

Last edited by Peasant; 03-02-2020 at 12:07 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing characters from end of $string

I am writing a script to search PCL output and append more PCL data to the end accordingly. I need to remove the last 88 bytes from the string. I have searched for a few hours now and am coming up with nothing. I can't use head or tail because the PCL output is all on one line. awk crashes on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: craig2k
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract digits at end of string

I have a string like xxxxxx44. What's the best way to extract the digits (one or more) in a ksh script? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: offirc
6 Replies

3. AIX

CUT command - cutting characters from end of string

Hello, I need to delete the final few characters from a parameter leaving just the first few. However, the characters which need to remain will not always be a string of the same length. For instance, the parameter will be passed as BN_HSBC_NTRS/hub_mth_ifce.sf. I only need the bit before the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JWilliams
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the 1st 99 characters and add new line feed at the end of the line

I have a file with varying record length in it. I need to reformat this file so that each line will have a length of 100 characters (99 characters + the line feed). AU * A01 EXPENSE 6990370000 CWF SUBC TRAVEL & MISC MY * A02 RESALE 6990788000 Y... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: udelalv
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding characters end of line where line begins with..

Hi all, using VI, can anyone tell me how to add some characters onto the end of a line where the line begins with certain charactars eg a,b,c,......., r,s,t,........, a,b,c,......., all lines in the above example starting with a,b,c, I want to add an x at the end of the line so the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: satnamx
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing characters from end of string

Hello, I have records like below that I want to remove any five characters from the end of the string before the double quotes unless it is only an asterik. 3919,5020 ,04/17/2012,0000000000006601.43,,0000000000000000.00,, 132, 251219,"*" 1668,0125 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyoung
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to specify beginning-of-line/end-of-line characters inside a regex range

How can I specify special meaning characters like ^ or $ inside a regex range. e.g Suppose I want to search for a string that either starts with '|' character or begins with start-of-line character. I tried the following but it does not work: sed 's/\(\)/<do something here>/g' file1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jawsnnn
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract text from STRING to end of line?

Hi I have a very large data file with several hundred columns and millions of lines. The important data is in the last set of columns with variable numbers of tab delimited fields in front of it on each line. Im currently trying sed to get the data out - I want anything beetween :RES and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manchesterpaul
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to add a new string at the end of line by searching a string on the same line?

Hi, I have a file which is an extract of jil codes of all autosys jobs in our server. Sample jil code: ************************** permission:gx,wx date_conditions:yes days_of_week:all start_times:"05:00" condition: notrunning(appDev#box#ProductLoad)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghavendra
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a particular string from column eliminating characters at the end.

Hi, So basically I have this file containing query output in seperated columns. In particular column I have the below strings: news news-prio I am trying to grep the string news without listing news-prio aswell. I tried grep "$MSG_TYPE" , grep -w "$MSG_TYPE" , grep... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
4 Replies
subst(1T)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							 subst(1T)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- | fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command | substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even | when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. | If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- | tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- | tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for | that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is | returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. | In this way, all exceptional return codes are ``caught'' by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete | successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns ``xyz {44}'', not ``xyz {$a}'' and the script | set a "p} q {r" | subst {xyz {$a}} | return ``xyz {p} q {r}'', not ``xyz {p} q {r}''. | When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. | set a 44 | subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} | returns ``$a 44'', not ``$a $a''. Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to | retrieve the value of the variable. | proc b {} {return c} | array set a {c c [b] tricky} | subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} | returns ``[b] c'', not ``[b] tricky''. | The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest | of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script | subst {abc,[break],def} | returns ``abc,'', not ``abc,,def'' and the script | subst {abc,[continue;expr 1+2],def} | returns ``abc,,def'', not ``abc,3,def''. | Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value | subst {abc,[return foo;expr 1+2],def} | returns ``abc,foo,def'', not ``abc,3,def'' and | subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr 1+2],def} | also returns ``abc,foo,def'', not ``abc,3,def''. SEE ALSO
Tcl(1T), eval(1T), break(1T), continue(1T) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWTcl | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Uncommitted | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for Tcl is available on http://opensolaris.org. Tcl 7.4 subst(1T)