Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to use cat grep and cut together? Post 303044552 by synack on Wednesday 26th of February 2020 09:39:54 AM
Old 02-26-2020
How to use cat grep and cut together?

Hello,

I try to

Code:
#!/bin/bash

for ip in $(seq 1 255  );do
    host 10.11.1.$ip >> nameserver2.txt
done

I'm trying to clean up a file I created with this little batch script.

I have more results with names of servers found and not found.
Host 1.1.11.10.in-addr.arpa. not found: 3 (NXDOMAIN)
Host 2.1.11.10.in-addr.arpa. not found: 3 (NXDOMAIN)

I'm doing a nameserver2.txt grep | grep name which displays only existing servers. Except that I have too much information on each line
5.1.11.10.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer serv1.domain.com
6.1.11.10.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer serv2.domain.com

I would like to have only the 1st character each line (so the last of each IP and the name of the server
I'm making a

Code:
cat nameserver2.txt | grep name | cut -d. -f1

but in this case I only have information on two so in the end I made this order:

Code:
cat nameserver.txt | grep name | cut -d. -f1.6 | cut -d '' -f1.5

which therefore results:

5.arpa srv1
6.arpa srv2

I can't delete .arpa.

How can I do ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cat and grep not working

I am trying to cat a file and then grep that file for a number. I can do it fine on other files but this particular file will not do anything. I tried running it on an older file from the same device but it is just not working. The file is nothing more than a flat file on a unix box. Here is just a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jphess
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cat, grep and tee to a local file

Hi, This is what I am trying to do. 1) connect to 3 remote servers from my local machine serverA serverB serverC 2) read error file from each server cat /var/lib/mysql/mydb.err 3) grep for lines displaying "yesterday" date grep "`date +%y%m%d' '-d\"1 day ago\"`" 4) Append those lines to a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantanuo
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat or cut to delimit csv?

Hi, Im a pretty large noob to linux/perl etc and im trying to use mysql slurp to take a delimited file and import it into mysql using stdin (in the hope its faster) mysqlslurp - slurp <STDIN> into a MySQL table - search.cpan.org Christopher Brown / MySQL-Slurp - search.cpan.org Using... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtony
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat /etc/passwd and grep -v on /etc/shells

Hi All, I'd like to do this cat /etc/passwd and grep -v on the /etc/shells list I'd like to find all shell that doesn't exist on the /etc/passwd. Is there an easy way without doing a egrep -v "/bin/sh|/bin/bash................"? How do I use a file /etc/shells as my list for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat -n and grep

I am not sure if using cat -n is the most efficient way to split a file into multiple files, one file per line in the source file. I thought using cat -n would make it easy to process the file because it produces an output that numbers each line that I could then grep for with the regex "^ *$i".... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kapu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep or cat using sed

Is there a way using grep or cat a file to create a new file based on whether the first 9 positions of each record is less than 399999999? This is a fixed file format. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ski
3 Replies

7. Slackware

How should I cut this line using cut and grep?

not sure how to do it. wan't to delete it using cut and grep ince i would use it in the shell. but how must the command be? grep "64.233.181.103 wwwGoogle.com" /etc/hosts | cut -d the delimeter is just a space. can you help meplease. :D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garfish
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep and cat combined

Hello, i need to search one word (snp1) from many files and copy the content of the columns of this word in new file. example: file 1: SNP BP CHR P snp1 1 3 0.01 snp2 2 2 0.05 . . file 2: SNP BP CHR P snp1 1 3 0.06 snp2 2 2 0.3 output... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: biopsy
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace cat and grep with <

Hello someone told me to use OS=`awk '{print int($3)}' < /etc/redhat-release` instead of OS=cat /etc/redhat-release | `awk '{print int($3)}'` any idea for the reason ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimafire
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep or cat The Whole Directory PROBLEMS :(

Hi Guys This is my first post so I am not sure how things go here. I'm sorry if I'm breaking the rule or something. Feel free to correct me about that :) So as I was saying... I'd been trying to grep this folder containing 900,000 txt files but seems no luck. I get either "No such file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
6 Replies
Mail::SPF::Util(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					Mail::SPF::Util(3)

NAME
Mail::SPF::Util - Mail::SPF utility class SYNOPSIS
use Mail::SPF::Util; $hostname = Mail::SPF::Util->hostname; $ipv6_address_v4mapped = Mail::SPF::Util->ipv4_address_to_ipv6($ipv4_address); $ipv4_address = Mail::SPF::Util->ipv6_address_to_ipv4($ipv6_address_v4mapped); $is_v4mapped = Mail::SPF::Util->ipv6_address_is_ipv4_mapped($ipv6_address); $ip_address_string = Mail::SPF::Util->ip_address_to_string($ip_address); $reverse_name = Mail::SPF::Util->ip_address_reverse($ip_address); $validated_domain = Mail::SPF::Util->valid_domain_for_ip_address( $spf_server, $request, $ip_address, $domain, $find_best_match, # defaults to false $accept_any_domain # defaults to false ); DESCRIPTION
Mail::SPF::Util is Mail::SPF's utility class. Class methods The following class methods are provided: hostname: returns string Returns the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of the local host. ipv4_address_to_ipv6($ipv4_address): returns NetAddr::IP; throws Mail::SPF::EInvalidOptionValue Converts the specified NetAddr::IP IPv4 address into an IPv4-mapped IPv6 address. Throws a Mail::SPF::EInvalidOptionValue exception if the specified IP address is not an IPv4 address. ipv6_address_to_ipv4($ipv6_address): returns NetAddr::IP; throws Mail::SPF::EInvalidOptionValue Converts the specified NetAddr::IP IPv4-mapped IPv6 address into a proper IPv4 address. Throws a Mail::SPF::EInvalidOptionValue exception if the specified IP address is not an IPv4-mapped IPv6 address. ipv6_address_is_ipv4_mapped($ipv6_address): returns boolean Returns true if the specified NetAddr::IP IPv6 address is an IPv4-mapped address, false otherwise. ip_address_to_string($ip_address): returns string; throws Mail::SPF::EInvalidOptionValue Returns the given NetAddr::IP IPv4 or IPv6 address compactly formatted as a string. For IPv4 addresses, this is equivalent to calling NetAddr::IP's "addr" method. For IPv6 addresses, this is equivalent to calling NetAddr::IP's "short" method. Throws a Mail::SPF::EInvalidOptionValue exception if the specified object is not a NetAddr::IP IPv4 or IPv6 address object. ip_address_reverse($ip_address): returns string; throws Mail::SPF::EInvalidOptionValue Returns the "in-addr.arpa."/"ip6.arpa." reverse notation of the given NetAddr::IP IPv4 or IPv6 address. Throws a Mail::SPF::EInvalidOptionValue exception if the specified object is not a NetAddr::IP IPv4 or IPv6 address object. valid_domain_for_ip_address($server, $request, $ip_address, $domain, $find_best_match = false, $accept_any_domain = false): returns string or undef Finds a valid domain name for the given NetAddr::IP IP address that matches the given domain or a sub-domain thereof. A domain name is valid for the given IP address if the IP address reverse-maps to that domain name in DNS, and the domain name in turn forward-maps to the IP address. Uses the given Mail::SPF::Server and Mail::SPF::Request objects to perform DNS look-ups. Returns the validated domain name. If $find_best_match is true, the one domain name is selected that best matches the given domain name, preferring direct matches over sub-domain matches. Defaults to false. If $accept_any_domain is true, any domain names are considered acceptable, even if they differ completely from the given domain name (which is then effectively unused unless a best match is requested). Defaults to false. SEE ALSO
Mail::SPF For availability, support, and license information, see the README file included with Mail::SPF. AUTHORS
Julian Mehnle <julian@mehnle.net>, Shevek <cpan@anarres.org> perl v5.12.1 2010-07-05 Mail::SPF::Util(3)