Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: FC disk and ioinfo
Operating Systems AIX FC disk and ioinfo Post 303044312 by Phat on Tuesday 18th of February 2020 11:24:00 PM
Old 02-19-2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxmaus
I have no idea what you are saying - this all sounds confusing.

Maybe start over again. Your frame has 4 fibre channel adapters
you have allocated two to the vio and 2 to an lpar.
And now what - you are trying to map the adapters from the lpar via vio to another lpar?
With NPIV you map to a virtual wwpn, while when you zone to a physical adapter, you map to the physical wwpn. So I do not understand how removing a fibre channel adapter would show anything ?
Hi Zmaus,
The point 1 and 2 are correct. On the lpar I can see the LUN with 2 physical fibre.
Now I would like to use 1 more virtual fiber adapter to assign to lpar from VIO. And zoning virtual wwpn to the same LUN.

If everything is correct, I can see the LUN with 2 physical fibre adapters + 1 virtual fibre adapter.

--- Post updated at 05:24 AM ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecoveryOne
Taking a massive stab in the dark, but looks like if you removed the physical hba assigned to the lpar from the lpar and then your path for hdisk0 went missing: Your disks are not coming from the VIO. Without going into an in depth look at your system, are you sure you are presenting disks up from the VIO? Are you sure your lpar has virtual adapters presented up from the VIO? I mean, the whole point of running a VIO is so that takes all (or most) of your adapters so you can present them to the lpars as part of the virtualization layer. There should be very few instances where you need physical adapters assigned the a lpar running under a VIO.

Also from ioinfo from the openfirmware, its common to see that message. openfirmware is not aware so to speak to anything not apart of the system.

IF I manage to find time, I will show you how one of my environments are setup. Currently a lot of cruft on my plate that I must address first. Also, you should note that I'm not using NPIV, and my setup may not be the 'IBM recommended' way.
In the meantime, here's some handy links:
Access Denied
And since you are using npiv:
AIX for System Administrators
Hi RecoveryOne,

I'm checking the links you shared. From my side, I presented the virtual adapter to both VIO and lpar. With the lsmap I can see the client has logged in the fibre channel, from the SAN switch, checked with storage team, I can see the virtual wwpn. Further check with them, I can be quite sure the zoning & LUN masking works properly, that virtual WWPN is the same zone member with physical wwpn. Removing physical wwpn, make the link missing, means that the virtual wwpn(which is same zone) should see the LUN as well.

A bit curious, if you did not use NPIV, so which method you are using now?

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

( VxVM ) How to add the removed disk back to previous disk group

Previously , i remove the disk by #vxdg -g testdg -k rmdisk testdg02 But i got error when i -k adddisk bash-2.03# vxdisk list DEVICE TYPE DISK GROUP STATUS c0t0d0s2 auto:none - - online invalid c0t1d0s2 auto:none ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: waibabe
1 Replies

2. Linux

How to Calculate Disk Queue length and Disk Busy Time

Hi, Am doing an enhancements related to monitoring a Linux disk I/O statistics. The /proc/diskstats file is used to get the each disk I/O statistics. But, It returns the raw value. How to calculate the Disk Queue Length and Disk Busy time from the raw values. Guide me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maruthu
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Convert from raw disk to solaris volume manager disk

I have a solaris 10 system configured using NetApp as its storage, and the file systems are already configured as you can see from the example below: root@moneta # df -h Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 9.8G 513M 9.3G 6% /... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
4 Replies

4. AIX

Clone or mirror your AIX OS larger disk to smaller disk ?

hello folks, I have a 300GB ROOTVG volume groups with one filesystem /backup having 200GB allocated space Now, I cannot alt disk clone or mirrorvg this hdisk with another smaller disk. The disk size has to be 300GB; I tried alt disk clone and mirrorvg , it doesn't work. you cannot copy LVs as... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
9 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED message displayed following disk replacement

Hello, On 4/20/2018, we performed a disk replacement on our IBM 8202 P7 server. After the disk was rebuilt, the SAS Disk Array sissas0 showed a status of degraded. However, the pdisks in the array all show a status of active. We did see a message in errpt. DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: terrya
1 Replies

6. AIX

DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED message following disk replacement

Hello, On 4/20/2018, we performed a disk replacement on our IBM 8202 P7 server. After the disk was rebuilt, the SAS Disk Array sissas0 showed a status of degraded. However, the pdisks in the array all show a status of active. We did see a message in errpt. DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: terrya
3 Replies
fp(7d)								      Devices								    fp(7d)

NAME
fp - Sun Fibre Channel port driver DESCRIPTION
The fp driver is a Sun fibre channel nexus driver that enables fibre channel topology discovery, device discovery, fibre channel adapter port management and other capabilities through well-defined fibre channel adapter driver interfaces. The fp driver requires the presence of a fabric name server in fabric and public loop topologies to discover fibre channel devices. In pri- vate loop topologies, the driver discovers devices by performing PLOGI to all valid AL_PAs, provided that devices do not participate in LIRP and LILP stages of loop initialization. CONFIGURATION
The fp driver is configured by defining properties in the fp.conf file. The fp driver supports the following properties: mpxio-disable Solaris I/O multipathing is enabled or disabled on fibre channel devices with the mpxio-disable property. Specifying mpxio-disable="no" activates I/O multipathing, while mpxio-disable="yes" disables the feature. Solaris I/O multipathing may be enabled or disabled on a per port basis. Per port settings override the global setting for the specified ports. The following example shows how to disable multipathing on port 0 whose parent is /pci@8,600000/SUNW,qlc@4: name="fp" parent="/pci@8,600000/SUNW,qlc@4" port=0 mpxio-disable="yes"; manual_configuration_only Automatic configuration of SCSI devices in the fabric is enabled by default and thus allows all devices discovered in the SAN zone to be enumerated in the kernel's device tree automatically. The manual_configuration_only property may be configured to disable the default behavior and force the manual configuration of the devices in the SAN. Specifying manual_configuration_only=1 disables the automatic con- figuration of devices. FILES
/kernel/drv/fp 32-bit ELF kernel driver (x86) /kernel/drv/amd64/fp 64-bit ELF kernel driver (x86) /kernel/drv/sparcv9/fp 64-bit ELF kernel driver (SPARC) /kernel/drv/fp.conf fp driver configuration file. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |mpxio-disable |Unstable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |manual_configuration_only |Obsolete | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWfctl | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cfgadm_fp(1M), prtconf(1M), stmsboot(1M), driver.conf(4), attributes(5), fcp(7D), fctl(7D), scsi_vhci(7D) Writing Device Drivers Fibre Channel Physical and Signaling Interface (FC-PH) ANSI X3.230: 1994 Fibre Channel Generic Services (FC-GS-2) Project 1134-D Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop (FC-AL) ANSI X3.272-1996 Fibre Channel Protocol for SCSI (FCP) ANSI X3.269-1996 SCSI-3 Architecture Model (SAM) Fibre Channel Private Loop SCSI Direct Attach (FC-PLDA) ANSI X3.270-1996 SCSI Direct Attach (FC-PLDA) ANSI X3.270-1996 SCSI Direct Attach (FC-PLDA) NCITS TR-19:1998 Fabric Loop Attachment (FC-FLA), NCITS TR-20:1998 SunOS 5.10 2 Dec 2004 fp(7d)