Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Question about a process lifecycle Post 303044261 by Chubler_XL on Monday 17th of February 2020 03:09:10 PM
Old 02-17-2020
A process calls the wait() function and kernel level code checks the status of a child process, it will suspend execution of the calling thread until status information for one of the terminated child processes is is available.

A call to the exit() function causes a normal termination of the process that calls exit(). There is no involvement with the parent process, in fact the parent process may have already terminated at this stage.

Note that a running process can also be terminated by sending it a signal (like SIGTERM or SIGKILL).
This User Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

parent and child process question?

Hi everybody, I'm trying to understand how a parent and child processes interact. This function( below) basically measures the fork time from the perspective of the parent only. what i would like to know is how to measure the time from the perspective of parent and child (ie: inserting... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tosa
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Silly question about a process

I know its kinda silly but I've seen the texts consider one side - a thread executes and finishes its task but I was wondering what will happen if the process dies when the thread is still under execution... I somehow think that the thread will continue execution but am backing off from the fact... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
10 Replies

3. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Adaptive Information Technology for Service Lifecycle Management

HPL-2008-80 Adaptive Information Technology for Service Lifecycle Management - Rolia, Jerry; Belrose, Guillaume; Brand, Klaus; Edwards, Nigel; Gmach, Daniel; Graupner, Sven; Kirschnick, Johannes; Stephenson, Bryan; Vickers, Paul; Wilcock, Lawrence Keyword(s): Software as a Service, Enterprise... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zombie process question

Hey guys, So i did some research on the site but previous posts answered most of my questions about zombie processes but I have one question that didnt seem to get addressed "how do you find the parent or parent ID of a zombie process so you can kill it?" I know p -kill doesnt always just... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpin007
6 Replies

5. AIX

AIOServer process question

Hi I've been trying to learn a bit more about AIOServer processes and how my company administers them, one question i have is, while checking, most of my servers show a memory overhead of about 448 k per aioserver process (nmon -A) however i have found a few with figures of 67 or 56k. Most... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: philib
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process Substitution Question?

Hello to all. I'm new to this forum, so please go easy on me. =) I am working on a script to send two e-mail attachments in a single e-mail, and am running into a little bit of an issue when using process substitution. I am using the following: cat <(uuencode $1 <(basename $1)) <(uuencode... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rommager
5 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

C++ Environment needed on Solaris,Program lifecycle

Hello, I would like to build some sample C++ application on Solaris SunOS 5.8 Generic Virtual sun4v sparc. so I would like to know what are the compilation utilities and runtime utilities I need to get in my machine and will any one explain me the detaied life cycle of program like what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Revathi R
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Lifecycle patching

I am trying to understand how people manage lifecycle patching these days. I am not a sysadmin (I am a DB Architect) and what I am being told is that if there is any lag between patching a dev server and a prod server that we will liley get new patches in prod that have not had any soak time in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mse
9 Replies
waitpid(3C)                                                Standard C Library Functions                                                waitpid(3C)

NAME
waitpid - wait for child process to change state SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/wait.h> pid_t waitpid(pid_t pid, int *stat_loc, int options); DESCRIPTION
The waitpid() function will suspend execution of the calling thread until status information for one of its terminated child processes is available, or until delivery of a signal whose action is either to execute a signal-catching function or to terminate the process. If more than one thread is suspended in waitpid(), wait(3C), or waitid(2) awaiting termination of the same process, exactly one thread will return the process status at the time of the target process termination. If status information is available prior to the call to waitpid(), return will be immediate. The pid argument specifies a set of child processes for which status is requested, as follows: o If pid is equal to (pid_t)-1, status is requested for any child process. If pid is greater than (pid_t)0, it specifies the process ID of the child process for which status is requested. o If pid is equal to (pid_t)0 status is requested for any child process whose process group ID is equal to that of the calling process. o If pid is less than (pid_t)-1, status is requested for any child process whose process group ID is equal to the absolute value of pid. One instance of a SIGCHLD signal is queued for each child process whose status has changed. If waitpid() returns because the status of a child process is available, and WNOWAIT was not specified in options, any pending SIGCHLD signal associated with the process ID of that child process is discarded. Any other pending SIGCHLD signals remain pending. If the calling process has SA_NOCLDWAIT set or has SIGCHLD set to SIG_IGN and the process has no unwaited children that were transformed into zombie processes, it will block until all of its children terminate, and waitpid() will fail and set errno to ECHILD. If waitpid() returns because the status of a child process is available, then that status may be evaluated with the macros defined by wait.h(3HEAD) If the calling process had specified a non-zero value of stat_loc, the status of the child process will be stored in the location pointed to by stat_loc. The options argument is constructed from the bitwise-inclusive OR of zero or more of the following flags, defined in the header <sys/wait.h>: WCONTINUED The status of any continued child process specified by pid, whose status has not been reported since it continued, is also reported to the calling process. WNOHANG The waitpid() function will not suspend execution of the calling process if status is not immediately available for one of the child processes specified by pid. WNOWAIT Keep the process whose status is returned in stat_loc in a waitable state. The process may be waited for again with identi- cal results. WUNTRACED The status of any child processes specified by pid that are stopped, and whose status has not yet been reported since they stopped, is also reported to the calling process. WSTOPPED is a synonym for WUNTRACED. RETURN VALUES
If waitpid() returns because the status of a child process is available, it returns a value equal to the process ID of the child process for which status is reported. If waitpid() returns due to the delivery of a signal to the calling process, -1 is returned and errno is set to EINTR. If waitpid() was invoked with WNOHANG set in options, it has at least one child process specified by pid for which status is not available, and status is not available for any process specified by pid, then 0 is returned. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The waitpid() function will fail if: ECHILD The process or process group specified by pid does not exist or is not a child of the calling process or can never be in the states specified by options. EINTR The waitpid() function was interrupted due to the receipt of a signal sent by the calling process. EINVAL An invalid value was specified for options. USAGE
With options equal to 0 and pid equal to (pid_t)-1, waitpid() is identical to wait(3C). The waitpid() function is implemented as a call to the more general waitid(2) function. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Async-Signal-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
intro(2), exec(2), exit(2), fork(2), pause(2), sigaction(2), ptrace(3C), signal(3C), siginfo.h(3HEAD), wait(3C), waitpid(3C), wait.h(3HEAD), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 19 Jun 2003 waitpid(3C)