Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Numbers bash script
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Numbers bash script Post 303044118 by MadeInGermany on Friday 14th of February 2020 08:33:16 AM
Old 02-14-2020
%06s is obviously not portable.
On different OS I get different results:
Code:
printf "%06s\n" 01140

Code:
printf "%06s\n" 01140

However, never this is seen as a number.

--- Post updated at 15:00 ---

Here is another one for bash:
Code:
x=01140
x=00$x; echo "${x: -6:2} hours, ${x: -4:2} minutes,  ${x: -2} seconds"

--- Post updated at 15:33 ---

The following seems to be pretty portable:
Code:
printf "%06.f\n" 01140

Code:
printf "%06g\n" "$x"

This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH. Need to extract some numbers and take the average

Hey all, I ran some simulations, of which the output is 100s of files. I've used grep to extract the vital information needed from the files. This has made my task somewhat easier. But I still need to perform some mathematical calculations (average and geometrical average) on the results of the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: slackjack
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace all numbers in column with another number in bash

Hi, I've been trying to replace the numbers in the first column of my text file with all ones, unless the number is equal to 8. I have this: 1 1 11 123 258 2 1 9 135 175 1 1 15 143 274 8 1 13 153 172 8 1 13 154 166 8 1 13 154 167 3 1 15 237 255 4 1 15 243 202 1 1 13 133 166... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodbenito
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing numbers in bash scripts

Hi, I have lines in some files that look exactly as below, and the line numbers they occur in are always the same. (Lines 136-139) W 0.00000000 0.00000000 2.00000000 W 0.50000000 0.50000000 2.50000000 W 0.00000000 0.00000000 3.00000000 W 0.50000000 0.50000000 3.50000000 I'd like to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluesmodular
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random float numbers in BASH

Hi people :) I'm learning shell scripting using bash and I want to generate 4 floating point number with 5 decimal places and write them to a file and a variable. I've done all this except the $RAMDOM enviroment variable does not generate a float number but a integrer. I hope you could... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharaoh
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching Numbers in Bash/AWK

Hi, I need to match up some numbers in one file to the closest numbers in other file and produce an output file. File one (f1.txt) is laid out like this PCode Lon Lat AB10 1AA 57.148235 -2.096648 BB2 3JD 53.728563 -2.47852 LU4 9ET... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ian_gooch
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash, remove numbers after colon

Hello All, I was wondering if someone might know how to do this. I have a word list that is format like the example below. I need to take away the :number after that... is there some kind of command I could use to remove them? 123456:5562 password:1507 123456789:989 qwerty:877... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3therk1ll
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Sum up for spezific Numbers

Hello everyone, I need your assistance with bash. I want to sum up some numbers, that's not the big problem i think, but the values i want to some depending on another number. For example, I have a file with some rows of content. Number 1, Number 2, other content. I want to sum up number... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bruder_Bruno
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash compere 2 numbers and know the diffrents

Hi, id like to know how i do this : if i have 2 different numbers: so ok bash knows B is bigger then A but i like to know in how much ? how can i calculate ? how can i know what is their difference ? like the way you know between 10 and 2 the difference is 8 Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: batchenr
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to block first bash script until second bash script script launches web server/site?

I'm new to utilities like socat and netcat and I'm not clear if they will do what I need. I have a "compileDeployStartWebServer.sh" script and a "StartBrowser.sh" script that are started by emacs/elisp at the same time in two different processes. I'm using Cygwin bash on Windows 10. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Read a file with decimal numbers in bash

Hello, I have the following script while read id fraction do sambamba -h -f bam -t 10 --subsampling-seed=50 -s $frac ${id}.bam -o ${id}.out.bam done < fraction.txt where fraction.txt has two columns (id,fraction) and 50 rows I am unable to run this as bash is not able to read the second... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nans
2 Replies
SYSPROFILE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     SYSPROFILE(8)

NAME
sysprofile - modular centralized shell configuration DESCRIPTION
sysprofile is a generic approach to configure shell settings in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysad- mins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/sysprofile shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are contained in the /etc/sysprofile.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by /etc/sysprofile. This mechanism is set up by inserting a small shell routine into /etc/profile for login shells and optionally into /etc/bashrc and/or /etc/bash.bashrc for non-login shells from where the actual /etc/sysprofile script is invoked: if [ -f /etc/sysprofile ]; then . /etc/sysprofile fi For using "sysprofile" under X11, one can source it in a similar way from /etc/X11/Xsession or your X display manager's Xsession file to provide the same shell environment as under the console in X11. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/sysprofile/ for illustration. For usage of terminal emulators with a non-login bash shell under X11, take care to enable sysprofile via /etc/bash.bashrc. If not set this way, your terminal emulators won't come up with the environment defined by the scripts in /etc/sysprofile.d/. Users not wanting /etc/sysprofile to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosysprofile in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/sysprofile.d/ can be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.sysprofile.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/sysprofile.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syspro- file.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private script inventions to be automagically executed by /etc/sysprofile at login time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /etc/sysprofile.d/ and the manual pages bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at logout time check out the related package syslogout(8) which is a very close compan- ion to sysprofile. BUGS
sysprofile in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
sysprofile was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSPROFILE(8)