Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Sun Fire v440 Hard disk or controller broken? WARNING: /pci@1f,700000/scsi@2/sd@0,0 (sd1) Post 303044075 by hicksd8 on Thursday 13th of February 2020 11:25:04 AM
Old 02-13-2020
Probably a good idea just to do a root filesystem check with a "no write" flag. That way you get to see what damage there is without the risk that it will try to fix it. It will show you the difference as to whether there is one file corrupt or one million files corrupt.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Sun Fire V440 and Patch 109147-39

Got an curious issue. I applied 109147-39 to, oh 15 or so various systems all running Jumpstarted Solaris 8. When I hit the first two V440s, they both failed with Return code 139. All non shell commands segfaulted from then on. The patch modified mainly the linker libraries and commands. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BOFH
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Sun Fire v440 keeps shutting down

Hello, I hope you can help me. I am new to Sun servers and we have a Sun Fire v440 server in which one power supply failed, we are waiting for new one. But now our server is shutting down constantly. Is there any setting with which we can prevent this behaviour? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tibor
1 Replies

3. Solaris

USB Hard Disk Drive Supported by Sun Fire V890

Hi, Can anyone suggest me any USB Hard Disk Drive which I can connect to Sun Fire V890 and take backup at a quick speed. A test with SolidState USB Hard Drive for backup work was taking writing at 2GB per hour for a 75GB backup. Regards, Tushar Kathe (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tushar_kathe
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Sun Fire v440 hardware problem (can't get ok>)

First of all it's shut down 60 second after power on and write on console : SC Alert: Correct SCC not replaced - shutting managed system down! This is cured by moving out battery from ALOM card. Now server start to loop during the testing. That's on the console: >@(#) Sun Fire V440,Netra... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alisher
14 Replies

5. Solaris

error messages in Sun Fire V440

Hello, I am seeing error messages in V440 (OS = solaris 8). I have copied here : The system does not reboot constantly and it is up for last 67 days. One more interesting thing I found, I see errors start appearing at 4:52AM last until 6am and again start at 16:52am on same day.. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: upengan78
5 Replies

6. AIX

SCSI PCI - X RAID Controller card RAID 5 AIX Disks disappeared

Hello, I have a scsi pci x raid controller card on which I had created a disk array of 3 disks when I type lspv ; I used to see 3 physical disks ( two local disks and one raid 5 disk ) suddenly the raid 5 disk array disappeared ; so the hardware engineer thought the problem was with SCSI... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Firmware password Solaris Sun Fire v440

Hi: I bougth an used Sun Fire v440, and It have a firmware password. When I turn on the server, it ask for firmware password. (I don 't know what is the correct password). I can access to SC, but when I want to access to OBP, Firmware Password appears again. I remove the battery for two hours,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mguazzardo
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Sun Fire v440 Over heat Problem.

Dear Team, I need some expert advice to my problem. We have a Sun Fire v440 in our customer Place. Server is working fine and no hardware deviations are found except one problem that processors generating too much heat. I have verified and found that the room temperature was 26-27 degree.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhansu
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Sun-Fire V440 boot disk issue

Hi, I have Sun Fire V440. Boot disks are mirrored. system crashed and it's not coming up. Error message is Insufficient metadevice database replicas located. Use Metadb to delete databases which are broken. Boot disks are mirrored and other disks are ZFS configuration. Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Removing a disk from SUN Fire V440 running Solaris 8

Hi, I have a SUN Fire V440 server running Solaris 8. One of the 4 disks do not appear when issued the format command. The "ready to remove" LED is not on either. Metastat command warns that this disk "Needs maintenace". Can I just shutdown and power off the machine and then insert an... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Echo68
5 Replies
NDBOOTD(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						NDBOOTD(8)

NAME
ndbootd -- Sun Network Disk (ND) Protocol server SYNOPSIS
ndbootd [-s boot2] [-i interface] [-w windowsize] [-d] boot1 DESCRIPTION
ndbootd is a server which supports the Sun Network Disk (ND) Protocol. This protocol was designed by Sun before they designed NFS. ND sim- ply makes the raw blocks of a disk available to network clients. Contrast this with the true namespace and file abstractions that NFS pro- vides. The only reason you're likely to encounter ND nowadays is if you have an old Sun 2 machine, like the 2/120 or 2/50. The Sun 2 PROMs can only use ND to boot over the network. (Later, the Sun 3 PROMs would use RARP and TFTP to boot over the network.) ndbootd is a very simple ND server that only supports client reads for booting. It exports a disk that the clients consider to be /dev/ndp0 (ND public unit zero). The disk is available only to clients that are listed in /etc/ethers and have valid hostnames. (Sun 2 PROMs don't do RARP, but they do learn their IP address from the first ND response they receive from the server.) boot1 is a file containing the mandatory first-stage network boot program, typically /usr/mdec/bootyy. The layout of the exported disk is: o block 0: normally a Sun disklabel (but ignored by the PROM) o blocks 1-15: the first-stage network boot program With the -s boot2 option, ndbootd will also make a second-stage network boot program available to clients, typically /usr/mdec/netboot. When boot2 is a filename, that file is the single second-stage network boot program to be served to all clients. When boot2 is a directory name, typically /tftpboot, ndbootd finds a client's second-stage network boot program by turning its IP address into a filename in that directory, in the same manner later Sun 3 PROMs do when TFTPing (i.e., if a client has IP address 192.168.1.10, ndbootd expects to find /tftpboot/C0A8010A.SUN2 ). When used in this last manner with an ND-aware first-stage boot program, ndbootd serves the same purpose in the Sun 2 netboot process as tftpd(8) serves in the Sun 3 netboot process. Any second-stage network boot program always begins at block 16 of the exported disk, regardless of the length of the first-stage network boot program. All first- and second-stage network boot programs must have all executable headers stripped off; they must be raw binary programs. The remaining options are: -i interface Only listen for ND clients on interface interface. Normally ndbootd listens for clients on the first non-loopback IP interface that is up and running. -w windowsize This adjusts the window size of the ND protocol. This is the number of 1-kilobyte packets that can be transmitted before waiting for an acknowledgement. Defaults to 6. -d Run in debug mode. Debugging output goes to standard error and the server will not fork. FILES
/etc/ethers /etc/hosts SEE ALSO
tftpd(8) BUGS
Whether or not there is a second-stage network boot program, the exported disk appears to all clients to have infinite length. The content of all blocks not used by the first- or second-stage network boot programs is undefined. All client reads of undefined blocks are silently allowed by the server. BSD
May 9, 2001 BSD