Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Nearly Random, Uncorrelated Server Load Average Spikes Post 303044040 by vbe on Thursday 13th of February 2020 03:09:25 AM
Old 02-13-2020
I would check if at that time your server is doing something "heavy batch mod style" at the same time like backup or import/export of tables...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

load average

we have an unix system which has load average normally about 20. but while i am running a particular unix batch which performs heavy operations on filesystem and database average load reduces to 15. how can we explain this situation? while running that batch idle cpu time is about %60-65... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Load Average

Hello all, I have a question about load averages. I've read the man pages for the uptime and w command for two or three different flavors of Unix (Red Hat, Tru64, Solaris). All of them agree that in the output of the 2 aforementioned commands, you are given the load average for the box, but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heathe_Kyle
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

top - Load average

Hello, Here is the output of top command. My understanding here is, the load average 0.03 in last 1 min, 0.02 is in last 5 min, 0.00 is in last 15 min. By seeing this load average, When can we say that, the system load averge is too high? When can we say that, load average is medium/low??... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
8 Replies

4. Solaris

load average query.

Hi, i have installed solaris 10 on t-5120 sparc enterprise. I am little surprised to see load average of 2 or around on this OS. when checked with ps command following process is using highest CPU. looks like it is running for long time and does not want to stop, but I do not know... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: upengan78
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please Help me in my load average

Hello AlL,.. I want from experts to help me as my load average is increased and i dont know where is the problem !! this is my top result : root@a4s # top top - 11:30:38 up 40 min, 1 user, load average: 3.06, 2.49, 4.66 Mem: 8168788k total, 2889596k used, 5279192k free, 47792k... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: black-code
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Load average in UNIX

Hi , I am using 48 CPU sunOS server at my work. The application has facility to check the current load average before starting a new process to control the load. Right now it is configured as 48. So it does mean that each CPU can take maximum one proces and no processe is waiting. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumaran_5555
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Load Average and Lwps

NPROC USERNAME SWAP RSS MEMORY TIME CPU 320 oracle 23G 22G 69% 582:55:11 85% 47 root 148M 101M 0.3% 99:29:40 0.3% 53 rafmsdb 38M 60M 0.2% 0:46:17 0.1% 1 smmsp 1296K 5440K 0.0% 0:00:08 0.0% 7 daemon ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snjksh
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Load average spikes once an hour

Hi, I am getting a high load average, around 7, once an hour. It last for about 4 minutes and makes things fairly unusable for this time. How do I find out what is using this. Looking at top the only thing running at the time is md5sum. I have looked at the crontab and there is nothing... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sm9ai
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with load average?

how load average is calculated and what exactly is it difference between cpu% and load average (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: robo
9 Replies

10. Programming

ESP32 (ESP-WROOM-32) as an MQTT Client Subscribed to Linux Server Load Average Messages

Here we go.... Preface: ..... so in a galaxy far, far, far away from commercial, data sharing corporations..... For this project, I used the ESP-WROOM-32 as an MQTT (publish / subscribe) client which receives Linux server "load averages" as messages published as MQTT pub/sub messages.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
6 Replies
packages(3erl)						     Erlang Module Definition						    packages(3erl)

NAME
packages - Packages in Erlang DESCRIPTION
Warning: Packages has since it was introduced more than 5 years ago been an experimental feature. Use it at your own risk, we do not actively main- tain and develop this feature. It might however be supported some day. In spite of this packages work quite well, but there are some known issues in tools and other parts where packages don't work well. Introduction Packages are simply namespaces for modules. All old Erlang modules automatically belong to the top level ("empty-string") namespace, and do not need any changes. The full name of a packaged module is written as e.g. " fee.fie.foe.foo ", i.e., as atoms separated by periods, where the package name is the part up to but not including the last period; in this case " fee.fie.foe ". A more concrete example is the module erl.lang.term , which is in the package erl.lang . Package names can have any number of segments, as in erl.lang.list.sort . The atoms in the name can be quoted, as in foo.'Bar'.baz , or even the whole name, as in 'foo.bar.baz' but the concatenation of atoms and periods must not contain two consecu- tive period characters or end with a period, as in 'foo..bar' , foo.'.bar' , or foo.'bar.' . The periods must not be followed by white- space. The code loader maps module names onto the file system directory structure. E.g., the module erl.lang.term corresponds to a file .../erl/lang/term.beam in the search path. Note that the name of the actual object file corresponds to the last part only of the full mod- ule name. (Thus, old existing modules such as lists simply map to .../lists.beam , exactly as before.) A packaged module in a file " foo/bar/fred.erl " is declared as: -module(foo.bar.fred). This can be compiled and loaded from the Erlang shell using c(fred) , if your current directory is the same as that of the file. The object file will be named fred.beam . The Erlang search path works exactly as before, except that the package segments will be appended to each directory in the path in order to find the file. E.g., assume the path is ["/usr/lib/erl", "/usr/local/lib/otp/legacy/ebin", "/home/barney/erl"] . Then, the code for a mod- ule named foo.bar.fred will be searched for first as "/usr/lib/erl/foo/bar/fred.beam" , then "/usr/local/lib/otp/legacy/ebin/foo/bar/fred.beam" and lastly "/home/barney/erl/foo/bar/fred.beam" . A module like lists , which is in the top-level package, will be looked for as "/usr/lib/erl/lists.beam" , "/usr/local/lib/otp/legacy/ebin/lists.beam" and "/home/bar- ney/erl/lists.beam" . Programming Normally, if a call is made from one module to another, it is assumed that the called module belongs to the same package as the source mod- ule. The compiler automatically expands such calls. E.g., in: -module(foo.bar.m1). -export([f/1]). f(X) -> m2:g(X). m2:g(X) becomes a call to foo.bar.m2 If this is not what was intended, the call can be written explicitly, as in -module(foo.bar.m1). -export([f/1]). f(X) -> fee.fie.foe.m2:g(X). Because the called module is given with an explicit package name, no expansion is done in this case. If a module from another package is used repeatedly in a module, an import declaration can make life easier: -module(foo.bar.m1). -export([f/1, g/1]). -import(fee.fie.foe.m2). f(X) -> m2:g(X). g(X) -> m2:h(X). will make the calls to m2 refer to fee.fie.foe.m2 . More generally, a declaration -import(Package.Module). will cause calls to Module to be expanded to Package.Module . Old-style function imports work as normal (but full module names must be used); e.g.: -import(fee.fie.foe.m2, [g/1, h/1]). however, it is probably better to avoid this form of import altogether in new code, since it makes it hard to see what calls are really "remote". If it is necessary to call a module in the top-level package from within a named package, the module name can be written either with an initial period as in e.g. " .lists ", or with an empty initial atom, as in " ''.lists ". However, the best way is to use an import declara- tion - this is most obvious to the eye, and makes sure we don't forget adding a period somewhere: -module(foo.bar.fred). -export([f/1]). -import(lists). f(X) -> lists:reverse(X). The dot-syntax for module names can be used in any expression. All segments must be constant atoms, and the result must be a well-formed package/module name. E.g.: spawn(foo.bar.fred, f, [X]) is equivalent to spawn('foo.bar.fred', f, [X]) . The Erlang Shell The shell also automatically expands remote calls, however currently no expansions are made by default. The user can change the behaviour by using the import/1 shell command (or its abbreviation use/1 ). E.g.: 1> import(foo.bar.m). ok 2> m:f(). will evaluate foo.bar.m:f() . If a new import is made of the same name, this overrides any previous import. (It is likely that in the future, some system packages will be pre-imported.) In addition, the shell command import_all/1 (and its alias use_all/1 ) imports all modules currently found in the path for a given package name. E.g., assuming the files " .../foo/bar/fred.beam ", " .../foo/bar/barney.beam " and " .../foo/bar/bambam.beam " can be found from our current path, 1> import_all(foo.bar). will make fred , barney and bambam expand to foo.bar.fred , foo.bar.barney and foo.bar.bambam , respectively. Note: The compiler does not have an "import all" directive, for the reason that Erlang has no compile time type checking. E.g. if the wrong search path is used at compile time, a call m:f(...) could be expanded to foo.bar.m:f(...) without any warning, instead of the intended frob.ozz.m:f(...) , if package foo.bar happens to be found first in the path. Explicitly declaring each use of a module makes for safe code. EXPORTS
no functions exported Ericsson AB kernel 2.14.3 packages(3erl)