Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to escape the @ character in an if statement check? Post 303043984 by RudiC on Wednesday 12th of February 2020 04:38:15 AM
Old 02-12-2020
More details, please. There doesn't seem anything wrong with your code snippet, as rdrtx1 already proved. Show context, variable contents, error messages, execution logs, script / command misbehaviour. What be your OS and shell versions?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape character in vi?

I want to replace a string which contains "/" in vi but what is the escape character for forward slash? e.g. I have a text file with the contents below and I want to replace "/Top/Sub/Sub1" with "ABC". /Top/Sub/Sub1 The replace command I am using is ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape character

Hi , I want to change space to ' in my script. I tried doing this, sed 's/ /\'/g' filename but i could not get it. can some one help me please. Thanks, Deepak (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakpv
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape character - sed

Hi All, How do i write in sed for the 6th and 7th field of etc/passwd file as it involves "/" character? Does mine below is correct? It's incomplete script as i need help with syntax as i always getting may errors :( Example of etc/passwd file: blah:x:1055:600:blah... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: c00kie88
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape character in sed

Hello experts I am trying to write a shell script which will add ' ' to a unix variable and then pass it to oracle for inserting to a table. I am running the script as root and I have to do a su -c . The problem is the character ' is not recognised inside sed even after adding escape... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pvedaa
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl how to escape (|) character

my @array; my $sepa = "|"; print $sepa; open FH, "<100_20091023_2.txt"; while(<FH>){ push @array, split(/\$sepa/, $_); print "@array\n\n"; } I am not able split the line which have | separated (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pritish.sas
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex escape special character in AWK if statement

I am having issues escaping special characters in my AWK script as follows: for id in `cat file` do grep $id in file2 | awk '\ BEGIN {var=""} \ { if ( /stringwith+'|'+'50'chars/ ) { echo "do this" } else if ( /anotherString/ ) { echo "do that" } else { ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: purebc
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - with escape character

i have string as below str=".<date>" in which i need to replace < with /< , when i tried with sed , got the output. --> echo $str | sed 's/</\\</g' .\<date> when i tried to assign it to a variable , i am not getting the same --> a=`echo $str | sed 's/</\\</g'` ; echo $a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: expert
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Escape special character

My input is: jdbc:Oracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=10.147.109.211)(PORT=1526))(CONNECT_DAT A=(SID= MWDBD22))) In the search pattern, ( and ) and . and @ are special RE, and need to be escaped \( and \) and \. and \@ how can i do it by script or command (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindam guha
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh escape a character

friends, I have a situation where i am using a $RANDOM function along with the filename, I want this to be escaped by the OS in the first assignment (works as expected) and executed in the second assignment (does not execute $RANDOM) filename1=filename1_\$RANDOM echo $filename1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balaji M
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function to add escape character before specified character

Hi , I am looking for a function which will do the following. 1. I have a variable which will hold few special chracter like SPECIAL_CHARS="& ;"2. I have an escape character. ESCAPE_CHAR="\"3. Now when I passed some string in the function it will return the same string but now it will... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
8 Replies
PWQUALITY.CONF(5)						File Formats Manual						 PWQUALITY.CONF(5)

NAME
pwquality.conf - configuration for the libpwquality library SYNOPSIS
/etc/security/pwquality.conf DESCRIPTION
pwquality.conf provides a way to configure the default password quality requirements for the system passwords. This file is read by the libpwquality library and utilities that use this library for checking and generating passwords. The file has a very simple name = value format with possible comments starting with # character. The whitespace at the beginning of line, end of line, and around the = sign is ignored. OPTIONS
The possible options in the file are: difok Number of characters in the new password that must not be present in the old password. (default 5) minlen Minimum acceptable size for the new password (plus one if credits are not disabled which is the default). (See pam_pwquality(8).) Cannot be set to lower value than 6. (default 9) dcredit The maximum credit for having digits in the new password. If less than 0 it is the minimum number of digits in the new password. (default 1) ucredit The maximum credit for having uppercase characters in the new password. If less than 0 it is the minimum number of uppercase char- acters in the new password. (default 1) lcredit The maximum credit for having lowercase characters in the new password. If less than 0 it is the minimum number of lowercase char- acters in the new password. (default 1) ocredit The maximum credit for having other characters in the new password. If less than 0 it is the minimum number of other characters in the new password. (default 1) minclass The minimum number of required classes of characters for the new password (digits, uppercase, lowercase, others). (default 0) maxrepeat The maximum number of allowed same consecutive characters in the new password. The check is disabled if the value is 0. (default 0) maxsequence The maximum length of monotonic character sequences in the new password. Examples of such sequence are '12345' or 'fedcb'. Note that most such passwords will not pass the simplicity check unless the sequence is only a minor part of the password. The check is disabled if the value is 0. (default 0) maxclassrepeat The maximum number of allowed consecutive characters of the same class in the new password. The check is disabled if the value is 0. (default 0) gecoscheck If nonzero, check whether the words longer than 3 characters from the GECOS field of the user's passwd entry are contained in the new password. The check is disabled if the value is 0. (default 0) badwords Space separated list of words that must not be contained in the password. These are additional words to the cracklib dictionary check. This setting can be also used by applications to emulate the gecos check for user accounts that are not created yet. dictpath Path to the cracklib dictionaries. Default is to use the cracklib default. SEE ALSO
pwscore(1), pwmake(1), pam_pwquality(8) AUTHORS
Tomas Mraz <tmraz@redhat.com> Red Hat, Inc. 10 Nov 2011 PWQUALITY.CONF(5)