Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to escape the @ character in an if statement check? Post 303043949 by rdrtx1 on Tuesday 11th of February 2020 05:44:30 PM
Old 02-11-2020
Can you make a small script to verify that it is not working? i. e.:
Code:
set -x

PASSWORD="passwordwith@init"

if [[ "$PASSWORD" != "passwordwith@init" ]]; then
echo testing_code
else
echo password match
fi

PASSWORD="passwordwithXinit"

if [[ "$PASSWORD" != "passwordwith@init" ]]; then
echo testing_code
else
echo password match
fi

run output:
Code:
+ PASSWORD=passwordwith@init
+ [[ passwordwith@init != passwordwith@init ]]
+ echo password match
password match
+ PASSWORD=passwordwithXinit
+ [[ passwordwithXinit != passwordwith@init ]]
+ echo testing_code
testing_code

Last edited by RavinderSingh13; 02-28-2020 at 01:47 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to rdrtx1 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape character in vi?

I want to replace a string which contains "/" in vi but what is the escape character for forward slash? e.g. I have a text file with the contents below and I want to replace "/Top/Sub/Sub1" with "ABC". /Top/Sub/Sub1 The replace command I am using is ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape character

Hi , I want to change space to ' in my script. I tried doing this, sed 's/ /\'/g' filename but i could not get it. can some one help me please. Thanks, Deepak (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakpv
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape character - sed

Hi All, How do i write in sed for the 6th and 7th field of etc/passwd file as it involves "/" character? Does mine below is correct? It's incomplete script as i need help with syntax as i always getting may errors :( Example of etc/passwd file: blah:x:1055:600:blah... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: c00kie88
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape character in sed

Hello experts I am trying to write a shell script which will add ' ' to a unix variable and then pass it to oracle for inserting to a table. I am running the script as root and I have to do a su -c . The problem is the character ' is not recognised inside sed even after adding escape... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pvedaa
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl how to escape (|) character

my @array; my $sepa = "|"; print $sepa; open FH, "<100_20091023_2.txt"; while(<FH>){ push @array, split(/\$sepa/, $_); print "@array\n\n"; } I am not able split the line which have | separated (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pritish.sas
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex escape special character in AWK if statement

I am having issues escaping special characters in my AWK script as follows: for id in `cat file` do grep $id in file2 | awk '\ BEGIN {var=""} \ { if ( /stringwith+'|'+'50'chars/ ) { echo "do this" } else if ( /anotherString/ ) { echo "do that" } else { ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: purebc
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - with escape character

i have string as below str=".<date>" in which i need to replace < with /< , when i tried with sed , got the output. --> echo $str | sed 's/</\\</g' .\<date> when i tried to assign it to a variable , i am not getting the same --> a=`echo $str | sed 's/</\\</g'` ; echo $a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: expert
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Escape special character

My input is: jdbc:Oracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=10.147.109.211)(PORT=1526))(CONNECT_DAT A=(SID= MWDBD22))) In the search pattern, ( and ) and . and @ are special RE, and need to be escaped \( and \) and \. and \@ how can i do it by script or command (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindam guha
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh escape a character

friends, I have a situation where i am using a $RANDOM function along with the filename, I want this to be escaped by the OS in the first assignment (works as expected) and executed in the second assignment (does not execute $RANDOM) filename1=filename1_\$RANDOM echo $filename1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balaji M
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function to add escape character before specified character

Hi , I am looking for a function which will do the following. 1. I have a variable which will hold few special chracter like SPECIAL_CHARS="& ;"2. I have an escape character. ESCAPE_CHAR="\"3. Now when I passed some string in the function it will return the same string but now it will... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
8 Replies
SYSTEMD-ASK-PASSWORD(1) 				       systemd-ask-password					   SYSTEMD-ASK-PASSWORD(1)

NAME
systemd-ask-password - Query the user for a system password SYNOPSIS
systemd-ask-password [OPTIONS...] [MESSAGE] DESCRIPTION
systemd-ask-password may be used to query a system password or passphrase from the user, using a question message specified on the command line. When run from a TTY it will query a password on the TTY and print it to standard output. When run with no TTY or with --no-tty it will use the system-wide query mechanism, which allows active users to respond via several agents, listed below. The purpose of this tool is to query system-wide passwords -- that is passwords not attached to a specific user account. Examples include: unlocking encrypted hard disks when they are plugged in or at boot, entering an SSL certificate passphrase for web and VPN servers. Existing agents are: o A boot-time password agent asking the user for passwords using plymouth(8), o A boot-time password agent querying the user directly on the console -- systemd-ask-password-console.service(8), o An agent requesting password input via a wall(1) message -- systemd-ask-password-wall.service(8), o A TTY agent that is temporarily spawned during systemctl(1) invocations, o A command line agent which can be started temporarily to process queued password requests -- systemd-tty-ask-password-agent --query. Answering system-wide password queries is a privileged operation, hence all the agents listed above (except for the last one), run as privileged system services. The last one also needs elevated privileges, so should be run through sudo(8) or similar. Additional password agents may be implemented according to the systemd Password Agent Specification[1]. If a password is queried on a TTY, the user may press TAB to hide the asterisks normally shown for each character typed. Pressing Backspace as first key achieves the same effect. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: --icon= Specify an icon name alongside the password query, which may be used in all agents supporting graphical display. The icon name should follow the XDG Icon Naming Specification[2]. --id= Specify an identifier for this password query. This identifier is freely choosable and allows recognition of queries by involved agents. It should include the subsystem doing the query and the specific object the query is done for. Example: "--id=cryptsetup:/dev/sda5". --keyname= Configure a kernel keyring key name to use as cache for the password. If set, then the tool will try to push any collected passwords into the kernel keyring of the root user, as a key of the specified name. If combined with --accept-cached, it will also try to retrieve such cached passwords from the key in the kernel keyring instead of querying the user right away. By using this option, the kernel keyring may be used as effective cache to avoid repeatedly asking users for passwords, if there are multiple objects that may be unlocked with the same password. The cached key will have a timeout of 2.5min set, after which it will be purged from the kernel keyring. Note that it is possible to cache multiple passwords under the same keyname, in which case they will be stored as NUL-separated list of passwords. Use keyctl(1) to access the cached key via the kernel keyring directly. Example: "--keyname=cryptsetup" --timeout= Specify the query timeout in seconds. Defaults to 90s. A timeout of 0 waits indefinitely. --echo Echo the user input instead of masking it. This is useful when using systemd-ask-password to query for usernames. --no-tty Never ask for password on current TTY even if one is available. Always use agent system. --accept-cached If passed, accept cached passwords, i.e. passwords previously entered. --multiple When used in conjunction with --accept-cached accept multiple passwords. This will output one password per line. --no-output Do not print passwords to standard output. This is useful if you want to store a password in kernel keyring with --keyname but do not want it to show up on screen or in logs. -h, --help Print a short help text and exit. EXIT STATUS
On success, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd-ask-password-console.service(8), systemd-tty-ask-password-agent(1), keyctl(1), plymouth(8), wall(1) NOTES
1. systemd Password Agent Specification https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PasswordAgents 2. XDG Icon Naming Specification http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-naming-spec/icon-naming-spec-latest.html systemd 237 SYSTEMD-ASK-PASSWORD(1)