Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Send keys in shell script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Send keys in shell script Post 303043806 by nezabudka on Friday 7th of February 2020 07:53:57 AM
Old 02-07-2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_manimuthu
Thanks nezabudka. Actually a primary script open a text file from vi command. But end user need close the file manually, than only the primary script resumes execute the next flows. Above command helps to save the file even if it open. Is there a way to send ( :wq ) in current active window ?
the command given above writes the open buffer to a disk. So there is no need for an open window to execute command :w.
Do you need to exit vim?

--- Post updated at 16:53 ---

Maybe the solution is if you run a line of code in a script in the background?
Code:
vim file &

And connect to it when necessary
Code:
reptyr $(pidof vim) #install reptyr

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send e-mail in Shell script

How to send an error mail from a shell script e.g. mail destination_adr@blabla.int "Message : here an error message " thanks, Ann. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: annelisa
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to send a mail

Hi , I need to prepare a script which will check my database with specific to particluar table. If the row count exceeds a certain limit, i need to send a mail to a set of Recipients. Being new to unix, please guide me to complete this task. Advance thanks, Sekar. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekar1
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Bash] Send Keys help

Hi all, I have programmed in VB before, and have recently moved on to Bash. In VB there is a command: SendKeys {F12} > "Show Help" SendKeys {Y} > "Answer Yes" Is there any way of doing this in Bash? (I need to send the Ctrl key into the script?) Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikejreading
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

within shell script send expect and if else

Hi I have written one shell script , using that i am able to connect to remote machine but i have to #!/usr/bin/expect -f set address set username set password set OOLpath set dbusername set dbpasswd set tnsname set recdbusername set recdbpasswd set rectnsname spawn ssh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

within shell script send expect and if else

Hi, I have written one shell script , using that i am able to connect to remote machine but i have to #!/usr/bin/expect -f set address set username set password set OOLpath set dbusername set dbpasswd set tnsname set recdbusername set recdbpasswd set rectnsname spawn ssh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to send email through shell script

Hi All, I am new to the unix , i have to deliver one script very urgently I have to write a shell script where i have i want to send email to specific email id in this script i want FROM to be parameterized and stored in a variable TO to be parameterized and stored in a variable... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nileshbhawsar
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for SFTP using Public and private keys

Hi all, I needed a shell script for file transfering using public/private keys for authentication. Could you please help me out on this? A procedure to write a shell script is enough. Thanks in advance. Regards. Vidya N (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vidya N
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to send e-mail from shell script ( C shell )?

Hi , How to send e-mail from shell script ( C shell ) . Mailx command is not working ( It didn't giving error also ). Please help me (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arukuku
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To send a mail through shell script

I want to send a mail through shell script,If it is possible Please give me a code. mail id : upload.xxx@example.com (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kannansoft1985
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

A shell script to run a script which don't get terminated and send a pattern from the output by mail

Hi Guys, I am very new to shell script and I need your help here to write a script. Actually, I have a script abc.sh which don't get terminated itself. So I need to design a script to run this script, save the output to a file, search for a given string in the output and if it exists send those... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sambit Sahu
11 Replies
reptyr(1)						      General Commands Manual							 reptyr(1)

NAME
reptyr - Reparent a running program to a new terminal SYNOPSIS
reptyr PID reptyr -l DESCRIPTION
reptyr is a utility for taking an existing running program and attaching it to a new terminal. Started a long-running process over ssh, but have to leave and don't want to interrupt it? Just start a screen, use reptyr to grab it, and then kill the ssh session and head on home. reptyr works by attaching to the target program using ptrace(2), redirecting relevant file descriptors, and changing the program's controlling terminal (See tty(4)) It is this last detail that makes rep- tyr work much better than alternatives such as retty(1). After attaching a program, the program will appear to be either backgrounded or suspended to the shell it was launched from (depending on the shell). For maximal safety you can run bg; disown in the old shell to remove the association with the program, but reptyr will attempt to ensure that the target program remains running even if you close the shell without doing so. OPTIONS
-l Instead of attaching to a new process, create a new pty pair, proxy the master end to the current terminal, and then print the name of the slave pty. This can be passed to e.g. gdb's set inferior-tty option. -s By default, reptyr will move any file descriptors in the target that were connected to the target's controlling terminal to point to the new terminal. The -s option will cause reptyr to unconditionally attach file descriptors 0, 1, and 2 in the target, even if the target has no controlling terminal or they are not connected to a terminal. -v Print the version of reptyr and exit. -h Print a usage message and exit. NOTES
reptyr depends on the ptrace(2) system call to attach to the remote program. On Ubuntu Maverick and higher, this ability is disabled by default for security reasons. You can enable it temporarily by doing # echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope as root, or permanently by editing the file /etc/sysctl.d/10-ptrace.conf, which also contains more information about this setting. BUGS
When attaching to some curses programs, they will not redraw the screen right away, and a ^L or similar will be needed to force a redraw. Similarly, after attaching to certain programs, the old terminal will be left in an odd state, and a clear or even reset may be required before the old terminal is usable again. Attaching to rtorrent (and probably some other apps) doesn't work right (rtorrent stops accepting input) (The problem is that rtorrent is using epoll to poll stdin, and we don't update the internal reference that the epoll fd has to the old tty). Attaching to a process with children doesn't work right. This should be possible to fix -- I just need to ptrace each child individually and do the same games to it. Attaching a less(1) process doesn't work if you have a .lessfilter file, as less leaves around a zombie child in this case. This could be worked around. Bugs should be reported to the author (see below) or via the issue tracker on GitHub. AUTHORS
reptyr was written by Nelson Elhage <nelhage@nelhage.com>. HOMEPAGE
<https://github.com/nelhage/reptyr> SEE ALSO
neercs(1), screen(1) 03 Feb 2011 reptyr(1)