Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Shell script ouput conversion Post 303043758 by Chubler_XL on Wednesday 5th of February 2020 04:44:52 PM
Old 02-05-2020
You should have a look at the awk tolower() function.

In your case you want to replace field #1 with a lowercase version of it's self something like this:

Code:
/NAME/ { $1=tolower($1); printf "%s" $0 }

or try
Code:
                {for (i=1; i<=NF; i++)  {gsub (/^ *| *$/, "", $i)
                                         $i = "\"" (i == 1 ? tolower($1) : $i) "\""
                                        }
                }

If you go with the above method, remember the expressions following will now be looking for lowercase a version (ie /basedir/ instead of /BASEDIR/).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script conversion to binary

My question is: i have a script called getevent to run i just call ./getevent can i convert this to make it binary executable and not letting my clients open it and see the code.??:( I am using Solaris 8. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bcheaib
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me with file conversion [Shell Script]

Hello Group, I request your help with a shell script for filter an ascii file (this is small piece of the file): 09/24/2009,00:00,1.0268,1.0268,1.0249,1.0250,518 09/24/2009,01:00,1.0251,1.0261,1.0249,1.0259,424 09/24/2009,02:00,1.0258,1.0272,1.0258,1.0269,372... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: csierra
3 Replies

3. AIX

Need timestamp conversion shell script !!

Can anyone provide me with a ksh or bash script which will accept a timestamp (format is YYYY-MM-DD-HH24.Mi.Ss) and time offset (in hours). The output will be (timestamp passed - time offset passed deducted from it) in the same YYYY-MM-DD-HH24.Mi.Ss format. Basically I am trying to convert the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shibajighosh
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limit ouput file on a shell script

I have this one::) doing jstack on JVM proccess. #!/bin/ksh # ---------------------------------------------------- # capture_jstack.sh <INTERVAL> <COUNT> # run jstack and capture output to a log file #----------------------------------------------------- # # scripts and logs are stored... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pointer
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for CSV conversion

thanks for allowing me join your forum i have an output of linux command "who" which provides following details..... CURRENT USER/ACCT INFO 17:31:36 up 4:49, 4 users, load average: 0.03, 0.04, 0.00 USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE JCPU PCPU WHAT root :0 - 12:59 ?xdm? 4:54 0.02s /bin/sh /usr/bi... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ayyappancheta
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for Epoch Time Conversion

Hi there I came across this script online to convert Epoch time to proper date format, but I am receiving the following error Also, I have HISTTIMEFORMAT set in user's .profile so that their history output shows time stamps. Additionally I have changed their .history location to a dedicated... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion batch shell script

while converting batch file to shell script ...dis command is ther i dunno how to change...can anyone knws how to change into shell script rm !(D:\temp\XX.txt) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: monisha
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch to shell script conversion

Hi All, I have a small tool which is currently configured in batch scripts only. But my need is to run it on Linux platform, so I have been trying to convert a batch script to shell script. below is the batch script: @echo off IF "%1"== "" GOTO ARGERR REM UPDATE THESE PROPERTIES TO... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukhdip
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script has different ouput via cron vs when run Manually

Hello Lads, I deployed a script on my mac to start and stop EC2 instances on AWS console. The script when started manually on the terminal does the expected stop and start. Problem is when i try to schedule it on a cron, it fails to recognize the AWS Keys which i set up as ENV variable by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Irishboy24
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

powershell script to unix shell script conversion.

Here is a powershell script to use restful API to create ticket in our ticketing tool. Can anyone please convert it to a shell script sothat, I can run it in Unix servers, below is the code: $body = @{ Customer= ''test' Summary= 'test summary' Impact= '4-Minor/Localized' ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeybhavesh18
2 Replies
TOUPPER(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							TOUPPER(3)

NAME
toupper, tolower, toupper_l, tolower_l - convert uppercase or lowercase SYNOPSIS
#include <ctype.h> int toupper(int c); int tolower(int c); int toupper_l(int c, locale_t locale); int tolower_l(int c, locale_t locale); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): toupper_l(), tolower_l(): Since glibc 2.10: _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 700 Before glibc 2.10: _GNU_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
These functions convert lowercase letters to uppercase, and vice versa. If c is a lowercase letter, toupper() returns its uppercase equivalent, if an uppercase representation exists in the current locale. Oth- erwise, it returns c. The toupper_l() function performs the same task, but uses the locale referred to by the locale handle locale. If c is an uppercase letter, tolower() returns its lowercase equivalent, if a lowercase representation exists in the current locale. Oth- erwise, it returns c. The tolower_l() function performs the same task, but uses the locale referred to by the locale handle locale. If c is neither an unsigned char value nor EOF, the behavior of these functions is undefined. The behavior of toupper_l() and tolower_l() is undefined if locale is the special locale object LC_GLOBAL_LOCALE (see duplocale(3)) or is not a valid locale object handle. RETURN VALUE
The value returned is that of the converted letter, or c if the conversion was not possible. ATTRIBUTES
For an explanation of the terms used in this section, see attributes(7). +-------------------------+---------------+---------+ |Interface | Attribute | Value | +-------------------------+---------------+---------+ |toupper(), tolower(), | Thread safety | MT-Safe | |toupper_l(), tolower_l() | | | +-------------------------+---------------+---------+ CONFORMING TO
toupper(), tolower(): C89, C99, 4.3BSD, POSIX.1-2001, POSIX.1-2008. toupper_l(), tolower_l(): POSIX.1-2008. NOTES
The standards require that the argument c for these functions is either EOF or a value that is representable in the type unsigned char. If the argument c is of type char, it must be cast to unsigned char, as in the following example: char c; ... res = toupper((unsigned char) c); This is necessary because char may be the equivalent signed char, in which case a byte where the top bit is set would be sign extended when converting to int, yielding a value that is outside the range of unsigned char. The details of what constitutes an uppercase or lowercase letter depend on the locale. For example, the default "C" locale does not know about umlauts, so no conversion is done for them. In some non-English locales, there are lowercase letters with no corresponding uppercase equivalent; the German sharp s is one example. SEE ALSO
isalpha(3), newlocale(3), setlocale(3), towlower(3), towupper(3), uselocale(3), locale(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2017-09-15 TOUPPER(3)