Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to tar an extension from a certain directory? Post 303043744 by RudiC on Wednesday 5th of February 2020 09:34:56 AM
Old 02-05-2020
What did you try? Where and how did it fail?
What do you get if you specify /path/to/target/*txt?
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Hi, ich just uploaded a file to the forum and found that the tar.gz extension for files is not allowed... i renamend the file to *.zip but tar.gz is a common format in the unix world. is it possible to change that? tia, DN2 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DukeNuke2
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

compress directories with .tar extension

hi guys.. Since am a bit new to shell scripting, can anyone help me with this problem please.. i've been struggling with it since 2 days. :( I have a directory lets say myFolder and within it I have sub directories let say myFolder1.tar, myFolder2, myFolder3, etc. I need to write a shell... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanexxx
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command dont tar to original directory

HI, if I have a tarfile called pmapdata.tar that contains tar -tvf pmapdata.tar -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 15 11:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap4628.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 14 20:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap23752.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 1625 Oct 13 20:00 2009... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy files with new extension in same directory

I've been able to find all the extensionless files named photos using the command: find /usr/local/apache/htdocs -name photos -print0 I need to copy those files to the name photos.php in their same directory. I've found a bunch of xarg examples for moving to other directories but I wasn't... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dheian
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to rsync or tar directory trees, with hidden directory, but without files?

I want to backup all the directory tress, including hidden directories, without copying any files. find . -type d gives the perfect list. When I tried tar, it won't work for me because it tars all the files. find . -type d | xargs tar -cvf a.tar So i tried rsync. On my own test box, the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fld2007
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy files with same name but different extension from 2 different directory

Hi all, i have 2 directory of files, the first directory(ext1directory) contain files of extension .ext1 and the second directory(allextdirectory) contains files of multiple extensions (.ext1,.ext2,.ext3,..) so i want to copy the files from directory 2(allextdirectory) that have the same name... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shelladdict
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash command line to strip tar.gz file extension?

What's the command syntax for stripping out the tar.gz file extension in a bash command line (not script file). Thanks! prompt/> ls *.tar.gz | <what comes here?> (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZillaG
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for file with a particular extension in a particular directory

Hi, I have a directory which I am passing in my script as a parameter. Parameter name has been set to $TCH_FILE_DIRECTORY. I want to know if there's atleast 1 (or more) files in this directory with the extension '.tch'. How can I find this using ksh. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bhavesh Sharma
4 Replies

9. AIX

Making Tar of directory and tar file is going to be placed

Quick question, is it possible to make a Tar of completely directory and placing the tar file in it (will this cause even the tar file to tarred ?) sample: /opt/freeware/bin/tar -cvf - /oracle | gzip > /oracle/backup.tgz will the tar file backup.tgz also include backup.tgz ? i tried... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find file with extension and excluding directory

Hi, I have an inquiry on how do I use the find command in Solaris Unix to find some file ends with extension : txt, err in the root directory with modified date of 30days and this find command will also need to exclude b directory and its subdirectory. All the files from the above find criteria... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snowfrost88
5 Replies
ECACCESS-FILE-MOVE(1p)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    ECACCESS-FILE-MOVE(1p)

NAME
ecaccess-file-move - Move or Rename ECaccess Files SYNOPSIS
ecaccess-file-move -version|-help|-manual ecaccess-file-move [-debug] source-ecaccess-file target-ecaccess-file DESCRIPTION
Allow moving an ECaccess File. When the move occurs within the same ECaccess File System then it is a rename. When the move occurs across two different ECaccess File Systems then first a copy is done and then a delete of the original file is done (e.g. similar to ecaccess- file-copy ... -erase). The source-ecaccess-file and target-ecaccess-file are in the form [domain:][/user-id/]path. Please read the "Shell commands -> File Management" section of the "ecaccess" guide for more information on the ECaccess File System. ARGUMENTS
source-ecaccess-file The source ECaccess File name. target-ecaccess-file The target ECaccess File name. OPTIONS
-version Display version number and exits. -help Print a brief help message and exits. -manual Prints the manual page and exits. -debug Display the SOAP messages exchanged. EXAMPLES
ecaccess-file-move ec:test1.txt ec:test2.txt Rename the test1.txt file in the ECFS directory of the authenticated user in test2.txt. ecaccess-file-move ec:test1.txt home:test2.txt Copy the test1.txt file from the ECFS directory of the authenticated user to the test2.txt file in the $HOME directory of the authenticated user, then delete the test1.txt file from ECFS. SEE ALSO
ecaccess-file-delete, ecaccess-file-get, ecaccess-file-mget, ecaccess-file-modtime, ecaccess-file-mput, ecaccess-file-rmdir, ecaccess-file- copy, ecaccess-file-dir, ecaccess-file-mdelete, ecaccess-file-mkdir, ecaccess-file-chmod, ecaccess-file-put, ecaccess-file-size and ecaccess. perl v5.14.2 2012-04-16 ECACCESS-FILE-MOVE(1p)