Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Control cursor position also at bottom of window Post 303043681 by Ralph on Monday 3rd of February 2020 06:28:32 PM
Old 02-03-2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
Would a (man console_codes)
Code:
ESC M     RI       Reverse linefeed.

help?
Cool manual page but no... the page still scrolled up and I ended up in the next line, rather than restarting in the same line.

I think I have to check whether the cursor is in the last line of the window or not and do the reverse line feed only in that case. Together with an answer that I found elsewhere on this forum I came up with this version of the function which apparently works now:

Code:
function askYesOrNo {
        printf "\e[1;31;47m$1 [Y|n]\e[0m "      # print $1 in color
        printf "\e[s"                           # save cursor x-pos

while true ; do
                read answer
                if [ -z "$answer" ] ; then
                        return 0
                elif [ "$(tr -d "NnYy" <<< $answer)" != "$answer" ] ; then
                        break
                fi

# How many lines in this window?
                LINES=$(tput lines)

# find cursor y-position ( line number )
                printf "\e[6n" ; read -sd R POS 
                CURPOS=${POS#*[}; CUR_Y=${CURPOS%;*}

if [ "$CUR_Y" -eq "$LINES" ] ; then
#                       printf "\e[u\e[1A\e[K" 
                        printf "\e[u\eM\e[K"
                else
                        printf "\e[u\e[K" 
                fi                          
        done
        if [ "${answer^}" == "Y" ]; then 
                return 0
        fi  
        return 1
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the cursor position

Hello, Is there a way to get the current cursor position? I know "tput sc" saves it. Is there a way to find out the value saved? Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bestbuyernc
0 Replies

2. Programming

Cursor Global Position

Hello all, How can i get the global position of the cursor? (i'm using c language, and suse 10.1 linux) Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: boogy
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

Command to know the terminal cursor position

Dear all, How can i get the current cursor position..is thr any command to find the same? Thanks in Advance Aneesh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aneesha
3 Replies

4. Programming

get terminal width and cursor position

I want to get the screen width and cursor positions. When I used curses, all the screen content was cleared. So Can I use curses to get the screen size without clearing anything in the window? Or is there any other alternative??? I can use only C or C++. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sreejesh.S
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing cursor position using shell script

Hi, Pleae help me on this. Normally, when we say read username, the cursor will come in the first position of next line, but I want the output of the below Normal usage ------------- please enter username: _ I want like the below ---------------------- please enter username: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balamv
2 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

read position mouse cursor

Hi to all! I'm a teacher of maths and physics in an italian high school in Milan, Italy. I need a simple program that read the position of mouse cursor in function of time and write the coordinates in a text file. The time resolution have to be something like 1/10 sec or better (I have to know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris75
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cursor position

Is there a way of finding the current cursor position (line & column) within AIX (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - moving cursor position

hi all, am trying to modify a ksh script to group server names together depending on the cluster they sit in. currently the script does a find . -name '*.pid' to find all running servers and prints out their pids and names. current output looks something like this : serverA ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting the cursor position

I need to get the cursor position, and put it inside a variable. Problem is, i don't have the tput command, or ncurses. Apparently I was supposed to try the following: echo -e '\E But I don't get a value or anything. Please help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinman47
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Holding cursor position on one line

Hi there. It's easier to explain this with a pseudo code, I hope this makes sense: var1=hello echo $var1 some kind of loop echo loop counter done How do I hold the cursor position immediately behind the last output so I'd get something like: hello123456789 DOS used to use ","... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MuntyScrunt
5 Replies
QUIZ(6) 							 BSD Games Manual							   QUIZ(6)

NAME
quiz -- random knowledge tests SYNOPSIS
quiz [-t] [-i file] [question answer] DESCRIPTION
The quiz utility tests your knowledge of random facts. It has a database of subjects from which you can choose. With no arguments, quiz displays the list of available subjects. The options are as follows: -t Use tutorial mode, in which questions are repeated later if you didn't get them right the first time, and new questions are presented less frequently to help you learn the older ones. -i Specify an alternative index file. Subjects are divided into categories. You can pick any two categories from the same subject. quiz will ask questions from the first cate- gory and it expects answers from the second category. For example, the command ``quiz victim killer'' asks questions which are the names of victims, and expects you to answer with the cause of their untimely demise, whereas the command ``quiz killer victim'' works the other way around. If you get the answer wrong, quiz lets you try again. To see the right answer, enter a blank line. Index and Data File Syntax The index and data files have a similar syntax. Lines in them consist of several categories separated by colons. The categories are regular expressions formed using the following meta-characters: pat|pat alternative patterns {pat} optional pattern [pat] delimiters, as in pat[pat|pat]pat In an index file, each line represents a subject. The first category in each subject is the pathname of the data file for the subject. The remaining categories are regular expressions for the titles of each category in the subject. In data files, each line represents a question/answer set. Each category is the information for the question/answer for that category. The backslash character (``'') is used to quote syntactically significant characters, or at the end of a line to signify that a continuation line follows. If either a question or its answer is empty, quiz will refrain from asking it. FILES
/usr/share/games/quiz The default index and data files. BUGS
quiz is pretty cynical about certain subjects. BSD
May 31, 1993 BSD