Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to change the path location within the shell script? Post 303043674 by MadeInGermany on Monday 3rd of February 2020 03:24:35 PM
Old 02-03-2020
You can let the system go in then two levels out
Code:
echo "$abc/../.."

Or strip two levels from the end of the pathname (this is a pure string manipulation)
Code:
echo "${abc%/*/*}"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

shell script location w/ Panther

I'm sure there things have only been asked a thousand times (I just couldn't find the answers): I am running Panther (Mac OS X ver. 10.3.2.). I am using the (default) bash shell. I am *starting* to write shell scripts. I would like to "install" some shell scripts, so that they are always... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ropers
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the geographical location within a shell script

Hi, I need a shell script that when run should be able to find the geographical location of the system. can anyone help me with this? Thanks, Sundeep (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for Copy files from one location to another location

Create a script that copies files from one specified directory to another specified directory, in the order they were created in the original directory between specified times. Copy the files at a specified interval. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: allways4u21
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change Absolute path to Relative path

Hello, I have a doubt:- --------------------- Current script:- ################################################################################################ prefix=user@my-server: find . -depth -type d -name .git -printf '%h\0' | while read -d "" path ; do ( cd "$path" || exit $?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahil_jammu
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

jre location PATH

How do you set the classpath for jre location....What are all the steps? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siddhans
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to add input at certain location into a file

Hi, I am using Solaris 10 OS and trying to create shell script that can add input at certain location into a file. The input that I am trying to put is new domain name e.g @newdomain.com the file contains, more test01.out user/zzzz786@st.com/INBOX user/zzzz@po.com/INBOX... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr_47
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change Shell Command Path

I want to change the path for the command in a shell. I want to make it easier to type in the command when I run the shell. As of now, I have to type in /bin/ls but I want to just type in "ls" instead. I have altered the function below to do this but it's not working. It still must have the full... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JustinT2474
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying the files in to multiple location using shell script

Hi All, i'm trying to copy the 1.txt files (sample files) in to different path location using the below command. But it is not copying the files , when i tried for single location able to copy the file. can any one please assist here. Please find the below path :- /ckr_mkr1/licencekey... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat918
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File transfer from UNIX to shared location using shell script

Is there any possible way transfering the file from unix to shared location using shell script. i had created the batch script to fetch the files from unix to shared location and it works fine. Due to some problem in windows unable to transfer the file to shared location automatically. can anyone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat918
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies
scotty(1)							 Tnm Tcl Extension							 scotty(1)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
scotty - A Tcl shell including the Tnm extensions. SYNOPSIS
scotty ?fileName arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
scotty is a Tcl interpreter with extensions to obtain status and configuration information about TCP/IP networks. After startup, scotty evaluates the commands stored in .scottyrc and .tclshrc in the home directory of the user. SCRIPT FILES
If scotty is invoked with arguments then the first argument is the name of a script file and any additional arguments are made available to the script as variables (see below). Instead of reading commands from standard input scotty will read Tcl commands from the named file; scotty will exit when it reaches the end of the file. If you create a Tcl script in a file whose first line is #!/usr/local/bin/scotty2.1.11 then you can invoke the script file directly from your shell if you mark the file as executable. This assumes that scotty has been installed in the default location in /usr/local/bin; if it's installed somewhere else then you'll have to modify the above line to match. Many UNIX systems do not allow the #! line to exceed about 30 characters in length, so be sure that the scotty executable can be accessed with a short file name. An even better approach is to start your script files with the following three lines: #!/bin/sh # the next line restarts using scotty exec scotty2.1.11 "$0" "$@" This approach has three advantages over the approach in the previous paragraph. First, the location of the scotty binary doesn't have to be hard-wired into the script: it can be anywhere in your shell search path. Second, it gets around the 30-character file name limit in the previous approach. Third, this approach will work even if scotty is itself a shell script (this is done on some systems in order to handle multiple architectures or operating systems: the scotty script selects one of several binaries to run). The three lines cause both sh and scotty to process the script, but the exec is only executed by sh. sh processes the script first; it treats the second line as a comment and executes the third line. The exec statement cause the shell to stop processing and instead to start up scotty to reprocess the entire script. When scotty starts up, it treats all three lines as comments, since the backslash at the end of the second line causes the third line to be treated as part of the comment on the second line. VARIABLES
Scotty sets the following Tcl variables: argc Contains a count of the number of arg arguments (0 if none), not including the name of the script file. argv Contains a Tcl list whose elements are the arg arguments, in order, or an empty string if there are no arg arguments. argv0 Contains fileName if it was specified. Otherwise, contains the name by which scotty was invoked. tcl_interactive Contains 1 if scotty is running interactively (no fileName was specified and standard input is a terminal-like device), 0 otherwise. PROMPTS
When scotty is invoked interactively it normally prompts for each command with ``% ''. You can change the prompt by setting the variables tcl_prompt1 and tcl_prompt2. If variable tcl_prompt1 exists then it must consist of a Tcl script to output a prompt; instead of out- putting a prompt scotty will evaluate the script in tcl_prompt1. The variable tcl_prompt2 is used in a similar way when a newline is typed but the current command isn't yet complete; if tcl_prompt2 isn't set then no prompt is output for incomplete commands. SEE ALSO
Tnm(n), Tcl(n) AUTHORS
Juergen Schoenwaelder <schoenw@cs.utwente.nl> Tnm scotty(1)