Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Problem with getting awk to multiply a field by a value set based on condition of another field Post 303043634 by cotilloe on Sunday 2nd of February 2020 03:20:47 PM
Old 02-02-2020
That actually helps alot, as I had tried something like that. What I tried to do was:

Code:
SUM[$1] += $4*0.1

That did not work, but by storing the weights in in an array, I see how it could be workable. My only question is how to store/use multiple values.
If $2 = Homework then $4 needs to be multiplied by 0.1
if $2 = Quiz then $4 needs to be multiplied by 0.4
if $2 = Lab then $4 needs to be multiplied by 0.3
if $2 = Final then $4 needs to be multiplied by 0.15
if $2 = Survey then $4 needs to be multiplied by 0.05

Then, all I would need to do is some $4 with the new values and have the overall percent for each student.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find top N values for field X based on field Y's value

I want to find the top N entries for a certain field based on the values of another field. For example if N=3, we want the 3 best values for each entry: Entry1 ||| 100 Entry1 ||| 95 Entry1 ||| 30 Entry1 ||| 80 Entry1 ||| 50 Entry2 ||| 40 Entry2 ||| 20 Entry2 ||| 10 Entry2 ||| 50... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FrancoisCN
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk - Summing a field based on another field

So, I need to do some summing. I have an Apache log file with the following as a typical line: 127.0.0.1 - frank "GET /apache_pb.gif HTTP/1.0" 200 2326 Now, what I'd like to do is a per-minute sum. So, I can have awk tell me the individual minutes, preserving the dates(since this is a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update a field in a file based on condition

Hi i am new to scripting. i have a file file.dat with content as : CONTENT_STORAGE PERCENTAGE FLAG: /storage_01 64% 0 /storage_02 17% 1 I need to update the value of FLAG for a particular CONTENT_STORAGE value I have written the following code #!/bin/sh threshold=20... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kichu
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Awk finding and replacing a field based on a condition

Hi everybody, I'm trying to replace the $98 field with "T" if the last field (108th) is T I've tried awk 'BEGIN{OFS=FS="|"} {if ($108=="T")sub($98,"T"); print}' test.txt but that doesn't do anything also tried awk 'BEGIN{OFS=FS="|"}{ /*T.$/ sub($98,"T")} { print}' test.txt but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jghi123
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to count condition in field

I am trying to confirm the counts from another code and tried the below awk, but the syntax is incorrect. Basically, outputting the counts of each condition in $8. Thank you :) awk '$8==/TYPE=snp/ /TYPE=ins/ /TYPE=del/ {count++} END{print count}'... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update value in field based on another field

In the tab-delimeted input file below I am trying to use awk to update the value in $2 if TYPE=ins in bold, by adding the value of HRUN= in italics. In the below since in line 1 TYPE=ins the 117282541 value in $2 has 6 added because that is the value of HRUN=. Hopefully the awk is a start but I... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to adjust coordinates in field based on sequential numbers in another field

I am trying to output a tab-delimited result that uses the data from a tab-delimited file to combine and subtract specific lines. If $4 matches in each line then the first matching sequential $6 value is added to $2, unless the value is 1, then the original $2 is used (like in the case of line... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl to update field based on a specific set of rules

In the perl below, which does execute, I am having trouble with the else in Rule 3. The digit in f{8} is extracted and used to update f accordinly along with the value in f. There can be either - * or + before the number that is extracted but the same logic applies, that is if the value is greater... (5 Replies)
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to change contents of field based on condition in same file

In the awk below I am trying to copy the entire contents of $6 there may be multiple values seperated by a ;, to $8, if $8 is . (lines 1 and 3 are examples). If that condition $8 is not . (line2 is an example) then that line is skipped and printed as is. The awk does execute but prints the output... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Change the field color based on condition in email

Request your help to change the field color based on condition , if it is otherthan 0. using html in unix. Here is my condition for(i=1;i<=NF;i++) { print "<td> "$i"</td> } Please use CODE tags when displaying sample input, output, and code segments. (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: CatchMe
17 Replies
ZLASCL(l)								 )								 ZLASCL(l)

NAME
ZLASCL - multiplie the M by N complex matrix A by the real scalar CTO/CFROM SYNOPSIS
SUBROUTINE ZLASCL( TYPE, KL, KU, CFROM, CTO, M, N, A, LDA, INFO ) CHARACTER TYPE INTEGER INFO, KL, KU, LDA, M, N DOUBLE PRECISION CFROM, CTO COMPLEX*16 A( LDA, * ) PURPOSE
ZLASCL multiplies the M by N complex matrix A by the real scalar CTO/CFROM. This is done without over/underflow as long as the final result CTO*A(I,J)/CFROM does not over/underflow. TYPE specifies that A may be full, upper triangular, lower triangular, upper Hessenberg, or banded. ARGUMENTS
TYPE (input) CHARACTER*1 TYPE indices the storage type of the input matrix. = 'G': A is a full matrix. = 'L': A is a lower triangular matrix. = 'U': A is an upper triangular matrix. = 'H': A is an upper Hessenberg matrix. = 'B': A is a symmetric band matrix with lower bandwidth KL and upper bandwidth KU and with the only the lower half stored. = 'Q': A is a symmetric band matrix with lower bandwidth KL and upper bandwidth KU and with the only the upper half stored. = 'Z': A is a band matrix with lower bandwidth KL and upper bandwidth KU. KL (input) INTEGER The lower bandwidth of A. Referenced only if TYPE = 'B', KU (input) INTEGER The upper bandwidth of A. Referenced only if TYPE = 'B', CFROM (input) DOUBLE PRECISION CTO (input) DOUBLE PRECISION The matrix A is multiplied by CTO/CFROM. A(I,J) is computed without over/underflow if the final result CTO*A(I,J)/CFROM can be represented without over/underflow. CFROM must be nonzero. M (input) INTEGER The number of rows of the matrix A. M >= 0. N (input) INTEGER The number of columns of the matrix A. N >= 0. A (input/output) COMPLEX*16 array, dimension (LDA,M) The matrix to be multiplied by CTO/CFROM. See TYPE for the storage type. LDA (input) INTEGER The leading dimension of the array A. LDA >= max(1,M). INFO (output) INTEGER 0 - successful exit <0 - if INFO = -i, the i-th argument had an illegal value. LAPACK version 3.0 15 June 2000 ZLASCL(l)