Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Wuhan Coronavirus Status for China - Rapid Prototype Blynk App with ESP8266 Post 303043594 by Neo on Saturday 1st of February 2020 12:07:24 PM
Old 02-01-2020
The mistake I made in this humanitarian crisis situation was to use Blynk to build a public service app to help others.

I will not make that mistake again.

In addition, I also read the Blynk privacy policy and according to their privacy policy, they can provide the data we use on the Blynk network to third parties, for example Google and FB-like behavioral analytics, where they can partner with data miners and other third parties and user our "behavioral exhaust" without our express written consent.

From Blynk Terms of Use (TOS) policy:

Quote:
By using the [Blynk] Service, you are granting us (and any service providers or Providers used by us) permission to access your account and those messages, data, information, text, graphics, audio, video or other material and content of any kind posted/uploaded/transmitted to or through the Service using your account, to process and submit said material to End Users.
That is a very "radical" TOS statement, to say the least.......

Update:

After looking into this, I found some promising iPhone apps which do not share your data with third parties (in contrast to Blynk) and will test the mosquitto broker to set up a private pub/sub network to send and receive messages to and from these ESP8266 and ESP32 devices.

Quote:
Eclipse Mosquitto is an open source (EPL/EDL licensed) message broker that implements the MQTT protocol versions 5.0, 3.1.1 and 3.1. Mosquitto is lightweight and is suitable for use on all devices from low power single board computers to full servers.

The MQTT protocol provides a lightweight method of carrying out messaging using a publish/subscribe model. This makes it suitable for Internet of Things messaging such as with low power sensors or mobile devices such as phones, embedded computers or microcontrollers.

The Mosquitto project also provides a C library for implementing MQTT clients, and the very popular mosquitto_pub and mosquitto_sub command line MQTT clients.
I have already set up a mosquitto broker on Ubuntu, the basic security authentication and can send a message from my ESP32 device to the remote Linux server. Will discuss this in another post.
This User Gave Thanks to Neo For This Post:

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function prototype declaration

Hi All, I have the script as below #!bin/bash let k=9 if then echo "Start" Hello echo "End" else echo "failed" fi function Hello() { echo "hello !!!!" } I got the below error : (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balasankar
4 Replies

2. Programming

Embarcadero Rapid SQL query for dependency

Team I am using Embarcadero Rapid SQL V8 . When we right click on any procedure/table/view and open the contents. It has dependencies tab, which tell what all are the dependents used . My question is how does this information captured in backend to retrieve the dependency objects in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perlbaby
0 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Major Changes in New UserCP (v0.63) Prototype

Regarding the latest version of the UserCP prototype (version 0.63) I have made a lot of major changes, including Added a "Posts Timeline" table for the recent posts, complimenting the non-table version earlier, which has been moved off the main menu (link at the bottom of the table). Added a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
4 Replies

4. Programming

NodeMCU ESP8266 Blynk SSL Application for Linux Server Load Averages

Here is a useful SSL (HTTPS) application for anyone with a remote Linux server they want to keep an eye on using Blynk and the NodeMCU ESP8266. This little app also works (have tested as well) on the WeMos D1 ESP8266 Arduino board. The NodeMCU setup could not be easier, just find a... (8 Replies)
8 Replies

5. Programming

Wuhan Coronavirus Status App for China - Rapid Prototype using MQTT and the IoT OnOff IOS App

With a little bit of work, was able to build a nice "Wuhan Coronavirus Status" app using MQTT and the IoT-OnOff app. More on this technique here: ESP32 (ESP-WROOM-32) as an MQTT Client Subscribed to Linux Server Load Average Messages The result turned out nice, I think. I like the look and... (10 Replies)
10 Replies

6. Programming

A Slightly Better NTP Client for the ESP8266

Was not really happy with the NTP clients for the ESP8266 because, after a few years of game engine programming, I am not a fan of a lot of code and delays in the main loop, so here is a "slightly better NTP client" for the ESP8266. In a nutshell, instead of having a delay in the main loop as a... (1 Reply)
1 Replies
COLLECTD-EMAIL(5)						     collectd							 COLLECTD-EMAIL(5)

NAME
collectd-email - Documentation of collectd's "email plugin" SYNOPSIS
# See collectd.conf(5) LoadPlugin email # ... <Plugin email> SocketGroup "collectd" SocketPerms "0770" MaxConns 5 </Plugin> DESCRIPTION
The "email plugin" opens an UNIX-socket over which one can submit email statistics, such as the number of "ham", "spam", "virus", etc. mails received/handled, spam scores and matched spam checks. This plugin is intended to be used with the Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Collectd SpamAssassin-plugin which is included in contrib/, but is of course not limited to that use. OPERATION
This plugin collects data indirectly by providing a UNIX-socket that external programs can connect to. A simple line based protocol is used to communicate with the plugin: o E-Mail type (e.g. "ham", "spam", "virus", ...) and size (bytes): e:<type>:<size> If "size" is less than or equal to zero, "size" is ignored. o Spam score: s:<value> o Successful spam checks (e.g. "BAYES_99", "SUBJECT_DRUG_GAP_C", ...): c:<type1>[,<type2>,...] Each line is limited to 256 characters (including the newline character). Longer lines will be ignored. SEE ALSO
collectd(1), collectd.conf(5) AUTHOR
The "email plugin" has been written by Sebastian Harl <sh at tokkee.org>. The SpamAssassin-plugin has been written by Alexander Wirt <formorer at formorer.de>. This manpage has been written by Florian Forster <octo at verplant.org>. 5.1.0 2012-04-02 COLLECTD-EMAIL(5)