Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to pull multiple XML tags from the same XML file in Shell.? Post 303043564 by hungryd on Friday 31st of January 2020 01:09:30 PM
Old 01-31-2020
Thank you Nezabudka. This is great AND includes the line breaks. I wasn't seeing those with some of the other XML parsing tool options I'd experimented with in shell including:

Code:
xmllint  --xpath "//SeriesName" file.xml

Thank you

--- Post updated at 11:09 AM ---

Can you please just explain to me the meaning/syntax of the
Code:
RS='<'

call you've placed in the larger line of code? That I've not seen before and would like to know more. Thank you again, Nezabudka.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove xml namespace from xml file using shell script?

I have an xml file: <AutoData xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"> <Table1> <Data1 10 </Data1> <Data2 20 </Data2> <Data3 40 </Data3> <Table1> </AutoData> and I have to remove the portion xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" only. I tried using sed... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary1978
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to pull a variable out of an xml file...

Hello. I'm new to *ix and am trying to pull a variable or two from an xml document. The document is in the format: <name>7_3(A).mov</name> <description>Some description from a file</description> <updatename>7_3_A.mov</updatename> <updatepath>Dailies Released</updatepath> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Renfield
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add the multiple lines of xml tags before a particular xml tag in a file

Hi All, I'm stuck with adding multiple lines(irrespective of line number) to a file before a particular xml tag. Please help me. <A>testing_Location</A> <value>LA</value> <zone>US</zone> <B>Region</B> <value>Russia</value> <zone>Washington</zone> <C>Country</C>... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjavalkar
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required in Splitting a xml file into multiple and appending it in another .xml file

HI All, I have to split a xml file into multiple xml files and append it in another .xml file. for example below is a sample xml and using shell script i have to split it into three xml files and append all the three xmls in a .xml file. Can some one help plz. eg: <?xml version="1.0"?>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesan kulasek
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Command to compare two xml lines while ignoring xml tags

I've got two different files and want to compare them. File 1 : HTML Code: <response ticketId="944" type="getQueryResults"><status>COMPLETE</status><description>Query results fetched successfully</description><recordSet totalCount="1" type="sms_records"><record... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shaishav Shah
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add Xml tags to an existing xml using shell or awk?

Hi , I have a below xml: <ns:Body> <ns:result> <Date Month="June" Day="Monday:/> </ns:result> </ns:Body> i have a lookup abc.txtt text file with below details Month June July August Day Monday Tuesday Wednesday I need a output xml with below tags <ns:Body> <ns:result>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nevergivup
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using shell command need to parse multiple nested tag value of a XML file

I have this XML file - <gp> <mms>1110012</mms> <tg>988</tg> <mm>LongTime</mm> <lv> <lkid>StartEle=ONE, Desti = Motion</lkid> <kk>12</kk> </lv> <lv> <lkid>StartEle=ONE, Source = Velocity</lkid> <kk>2</kk> </lv> <lv> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NeedASolution
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split xml file into multiple xml based on letterID

Hi All, We need to split a large xml into multiple valid xml with same header(2lines) and footer(last line) for N number of letterId. In the example below we have first 2 lines as header and last line as footer.(They need to be in each split xml file) Header: <?xml version="1.0"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a single xml file into multiple xml files

Hi, I'm having a xml file with multiple xml header. so i want to split the file into multiple files. Sample.xml consists multiple headers so how can we split these multiple headers into multiple files in unix. eg : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <ml:individual... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narendra921631
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grepping multiple XML tag results from XML file.

I want to write a one line script that outputs the result of multiple xml tags from a XML file. For example I have a XML file which has below XML tags in the file: <EMAIL>***</EMAIL> <CUSTOMER_ID>****</CUSTOMER_ID> <BRANDID>***</BRANDID> Now I want to grep the values of all these specified... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubh752
1 Replies
Template::Plugin::XML(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				Template::Plugin::XML(3pm)

NAME
Template::Plugin::XML - XML plugin for the Template Toolkit SYNOPSIS
[% USE XML; dom = XML.dom('foo.xml'); xpath = XML.xpath('bar.xml'); simple = XML.simple('baz.xml'); rss = XML.simple('news.rdf'); %] [% USE XML(file='foo.xml'); dom = XML.dom xpath = XML.xpath # ...etc... %] [% USE XML(dir='/path/to/xml'); file = XML.file('foo.xml' ); dom = file.dom xpath = file.xpath # ...etc... %] DESCRIPTION
The Template-XML distribution provides a number of Template Toolkit plugin modules for working with XML. The Template::Plugin::XML module is a front-end to the various other XML plugin modules. Through this you can access XML files and direc- tories of XML files via the Template::Plugin::XML::File and Template::Plugin::XML::Directory modules (which subclass from the Tem- plate::Plugin::File and Template::Plugin::Directory modules respectively). You can then create a Document Object Model (DOM) from an XML file (Template::Plugin::XML::DOM), examine it using XPath queries (Template::Plugin::XML::XPath), turn it into a Perl data structure (Tem- plate::Plugin::XML::Simple) or parse it as an RSS (RDF Site Summary) file. The basic XML plugins were distributed as part of the Template Toolkit until version 2.15 released in May 2006. At this time they were extracted into this separate Template-XML distribution and an alpha version of this Template::Plugin::XML front-end module was added. The Template::Plugin::XML module is still in development and not guaranteed to work correctly yet. However, all the other XML plugins are more-or-less exactly as they were in TT version 2.14 and should work as normal. For general information on the Template Toolkit see the documentation for the Template module or <http://template-toolkit.org>. For infor- mation on using plugins, see Template::Plugins and "USE" in Template::Manual::Directives. For further information on XML, see <http://xml.com/>. METHODS
The XML plugin module provides a number of methods to create various other XML plugin objects. file(name) Creates a Template::Plugin::XML::File object. This is a subclass of Template::Plugin::File. dir(path) Creates a Template::Plugin::XML::Directory object. This is a subclass of Template::Plugin::Directory. dom() Generate a Document Object Module from an XML file. This can be called against a directory, file or an XML plugin object, as long as the source XML filename is defined somewhere along the line. [% dom = XML.dom(filename) %] [% file = XML.file(filename); dom = file.dom %] [% dir = XML.dir(dirname); dom = dir.dom(filename) %] xpath() Perform XPath queries on the file. Like the dom() method, xpath() can be called against a file, directory or an XML plugin object. [% xpath = XML.xpath(filename) %] [% file = XML.file(filename); xpath = file.xpath %] [% dir = XML.dir(dirname); xpath = dir.xpath(filename) %] simple() TODO: As per dom() and xpath() but for XML::Simple rss() TODO: As per dom(), xpath() and simple() but for XML::RSS XML PLUGINS
These are the XML plugins provided in this distribution. Template::Plugin::XML Front-end module to the XML plugin collection. Template::Plugin::XML::File This plugin module is used to represent individual XML files. It is a subclass of the Template::Plugin::File module, providing the addi- tional dom(), xpath(), simple() and other methods relevant to XML files. Template::Plugin::XML::Directory This plugin module is used to represent directories of XML files. It is a subclass of the Template::Plugin::Directory module and provides the same additional XML related methods as Template::Plugin::XML::File. Template::Plugin::XML::DOM Plugin interface providing access to the XML::DOM module. [% USE XD = XML.Dom %] [% dom = XD.parse_file('example.xml') %] [% pages = dom.getElementsByTagName('page') %] Template::Plugin::XML::RSS Plugin interface providing access to the XML::RSS module. [% USE news = XML.RSS('news.rdf') -%] [% FOREACH item IN news.items -%] * [% item.title %] [% END %] Template::Plugin::XML::Simple Plugin interface providing access to the XML::Simple module. [% USE xml = XML.Simple('example.xml') %] Template::Plugin::XML::XPath Plugin interface providing access to the XML::XPath module. [% USE xpath = XML.XPath('example.xml'); bar = xpath.find('/foo/bar'); %] AUTHORS
Andy Wardley wrote the Template Toolkit plugin modules, with assistance from Simon Matthews in the case of the XML::DOM plugin. Matt Sergeant wrote the XML::XPath module. Enno Derksen and Clark Cooper wrote the XML::DOM module. Jonathan Eisenzopf wrote the XML::RSS mod- ule. Grant McLean wrote the XML::Simple module. Clark Cooper and Larry Wall wrote the XML::Parser module. James Clark wrote the expat library. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1996-2007 Andy Wardley. All Rights Reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
Template, Template::Plugins, Template::Plugin::XML::DOM, Template::Plugin::XML::RSS, Template::Plugin::XML::Simple, Template::Plug- in::XML::XPath perl v5.8.8 2008-03-01 Template::Plugin::XML(3pm)