Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed non ascii value remove
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed non ascii value remove Post 303043440 by RudiC on Tuesday 28th of January 2020 08:49:23 PM
Old 01-28-2020
ascii is not found in the wctype character classes, nor mentioned in e.g. man regex.

What characters do you want to remove? Strange locales'? Be aware that control chars 0x00 - 0x1F (including e.g. <TAB> ) are in the ascii set as well...

Last edited by RudiC; 01-28-2020 at 10:01 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed remove

anyone out there knows how to remove pattern <random string> use sed? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamwong
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed over writes my original file (using sed to remove leading spaces)

Hello and thx for reading this I'm using sed to remove only the leading spaces in a file bash-280R# cat foofile some text some text some text some text some text bash-280R# bash-280R# sed 's/^ *//' foofile > foofile.use bash-280R# cat foofile.use some text some text some text... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: laser
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to tell SED to emit output in 8-bit ASCII only?

I have to mangle some "plain ASCII" text file (i.e. 8 bits/characters where the text DOES contain characters like Umlauts and accented characters from the upper 7-bits range, i.e. with hex codes in ). For this I am trying to use SED which I downloaded as part of cygwin package (yes, I am doing... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmo
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert ascii values into ascii characters

Hi gurus, I have a file in unix with ascii values. I need to convert all the ascii values in the file to ascii characters. File contains nearly 20000 records with ascii values. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeeppvk
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to remove

Hello I have a file with records...The records have several lines and have start and end born... This is a template: 000000001 LDR L ^^^^^nam^^2200325Iia^45e0 000000001 022 L $$a0081-3397 000000001 041 L $$aSPA 000000001 088 L $$aJ.E.N. 551 000000001 090 L $$aINFORMES JEN... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: ldiaz2106
22 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove pattern with sed

Hi, i want to remove a certain pattern when i type pwd. pwd will look like this: ..../....../....../Pat_logs/..../....../...../...... the dotted lines are just random directory names, i want it to remove the "Pat_logs/...../....../....../" part so for example: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: a27wang
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove some special ascii character

Hello I have this special caracter after retreving rows from sql server: "....spasses: • Entrem al valort 6050108002811 • El donem..." I would like a sed command to remove it..or just know it's ascii code in order to replace it into my sql sentence.. Hope some one knows how to do that.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ldiaz2106
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep to remove non-ASCII characters

I have been having an encoding problem that I need to solve. I have an 4-column tab-separated file: I need to remove all of the lines that contain the string 'vis-à-vis' achiever-n vis-à-vis+ns-j+vp oppose-v 1 achiever-n vis-à-vis+ns-the+vg assess-v 1 administrator-n ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Hex to Ascii in a Ascii file

Hi All, I have an ascii file in which few columns are having hex values which i need to convert into ascii. Kindly suggest me what command can be used in unix shell scripting? Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to remove first and last character using sed

Hi I have file in below format. How i can remove the first and lost comma from this below file ,001E:001F,,,02EE,0FED:0FEF, I need output has below 001E:001F,,,02EE,0FED:0FEF (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjancom2000
6 Replies
wctype(3C)																wctype(3C)

NAME
wctype(), iswalpha(), iswblank(), iswupper(), iswlower(), iswdigit(), iswxdigit(), iswalnum(), iswspace(), iswpunct(), iswprint(), isw- graph(), iswcntrl(), iswctype() - classify wide characters SYNOPSIS
Remarks These functions are compliant with the XPG4 Worldwide Portability Interface wide-character classification functions. They parallel the 8-bit character classification functions defined in ctype(3C). DESCRIPTION
These functions classify wide character values according to the rules of the coded character set identified by the last successful call to (see setlocale(3C)). If has not been called successfully, characters are classified according to the rules of the default ASCII 7-bit coded character set (see setlocale(3C)). Each of the classification functions is a predicate that returns non-zero for true, zero for false. is defined for valid character class names as defined in the current locale. charclass is a string identifying a generic character class for which codeset-specific type information is required. The following class names are defined in all locales: and User-defined class names may be specified if supported by the current locale as defined by (see setlocale(3C)). returns a value of type that can be used in a subsequent call to or if charclass is not valid in the current locale. The classification functions return non-zero under the following circumstances, and zero otherwise: wc has the property defined by prop. wc is a letter. wc is a blank character; that is a space or tab. wc is an uppercase letter. wc is a lowercase letter. wc is a decimal digit (in ASCII: characters [0-9]). wc is a hexadecimal digit (in ASCII: characters [0-9], [A-F] or [a-f]). wc is an alphanumeric (letters or digits). wc is a character that creates "white space" in displayed text (in ASCII: space, tab, carriage return, new-line, vertical tab, and form-feed). wc is a punctuation character (in ASCII: any printing character except the space character(040), digits, letters). wc is a printing character. wc is a visible character (in ASCII: printing characters, excluding the space character(040)). wc is a control character (in ASCII: character codes less than 040 and the delete character(0177)). If the argument to any of these functions is outside the domain of the function, the result is 0 (false). Definitions for these functions and the types and are provided in the header. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Locale The category determines the classification of character type. International Code Set Support Single-byte and multibyte character code sets are supported. AUTHOR
was developed by IBM, OSF, and HP. SEE ALSO
ctype(3C), multibyte(3C), setlocale(3C), ascii(5), thread_safety(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
wctype(3C)