Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Help with awk or sed Command to Replace Text in Files Post 303043433 by Yoda on Tuesday 28th of January 2020 04:50:22 PM
Old 01-28-2020
One approach is to use a for loop to open one file at a time, modify and redirect the output to a temporary file, rename the temporary file back to original file:-
Code:
for file in *.txt; do awk -F, '{$4="XXX"}1' OFS=, $file > tmp; mv tmp $file; done

This User Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk to convert text files with recurring headings to rows and colum

I have many text file reports generated by a Information Assurance tool that I need to get into a .CSV format or Excel tab delimited format. I want to use sed or awk to grab all the information in the sample text file below and create column headings:Risk ID, Risk Level, Category, Description, How... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bjoeboo
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace a range of text with sed or awk?

Howdy! I'm trying to automate editing of a configuration file (custom.conf for GDM). I need to find every line between a line that starts with "" and the next line that starts with "", I want to preserve that line, but then delete all the lines in that configuration section and then insert... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TXTad
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extraction of text using sed or awk command

Hi All, I need to extract 543 from the command below : # pvscan PV /dev/sdb1 VG vg0 lvm2 Total: 1 543.88 GB] / in use: 1 / in no VG: 0 I have the following command which does the job, but I think this could be achieved in a more simple way using sed or awk. Any help is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed/awk to replace a block of text in a file?

My apologies if this has been answered in a previous post. I've been doing a lot of searching, but I haven't been able to find what I was looking for. Specifically, I am wondering if I can utilize sed and/or awk to locate two strings in a file, and replace everything between those two strings... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiddsupreme
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed command to replace with pattern except for text and closing parentheses

Can someone help me with a sed command: There will be multiple occurences in a file that look like this: MyFunction(12c34r5) and I need to replace that with just the 12c34r5 for every occurrence. The text between the parentheses will be different on each occurrence, so I can't search for that.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: missb
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/awk/perl command to replace pattern in multiple lines

Hi I know sed and awk has options to give range of line numbers, but I need to replace pattern in specific lines Something like sed -e '1s,14s,26s/pattern/new pattern/' file name Can somebody help me in this.... I am fine with see/awk/perl Thank you in advance (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dani777
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace columns in 2 files

Hi All, I already have a code which replaces column 14 of NPBR.XTR.tmp with column 8 of NPBR3G.XTR.final awk -F'\|' 'FNR==NR{a= $2"^"$8;next;}a{split(a,b,"^");$8=b;$14=b;}1' OFS="|" ${SHTEMP}NPBR3G.XTR.final ${SHTEMP}NPBR.XTR.tmp > ${SHTEMP}NPBR.XTR.final I also need to replace column 15... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need command to replace empty using sed/awk

Hi, In a file we have the following data like as below abcdef="cfg-1-15" bmmdda-g-45-2 yhdiao"rtg-1-df-34" I need a sed/awk command to replace the above string with empty. Thx, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kirankumar
1 Replies

9. Debian

Using awk and sed to replace text

Good Day Every one I have a problem finding and replacing text in some large files that will take a long time to manually edit. Example text file looks like this #Example Large Text File unix linux dos squid bind dance bike car plane What im trying to do is to edit all the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxjunkie
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using sed or awk to replace digits in files

Hello; I am not good at file and stream editing. I need to replace a few digits in two files. The lines in files looks like this: Line in the first file, /dw300/data/obe/2019273.L800JR.1909.273 Line in second file, 1|2019273.L800JR.1909.273 I will write a function to connect to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
7 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)