Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to run root level command , if user has "su -" permission in sudoers provided? Post 303043395 by Peasant on Monday 27th of January 2020 10:23:10 AM
Old 01-27-2020
If you need to restart crond then you add a rule for that in /etc/sudoers.d/yourfilename
Rules must be added specifically per service using entire restart/stop string e.g systemctl stop crond, systemctl start crond
Best to call filename as user which needs to run the elevated command e.g ansible for instance, but that's a choice.

The more specific you are in your sudo definition, more secure your system is.
Adding custom scripts can be a major attack vector for unauthorized access.

Worst case scenario is using shell redirection capabilities to accomplish such task, opposing configuring your system properly.

But each to his own, as they say Smilie

Regards
Peasant.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No utpmx entry: you must exec "login" from lowest level "shell"

Hi I have installed solaris 10 on an intel machine. Logged in as root. In CDE, i open terminal session, type login alex (normal user account) and password and i get this message No utpmx entry: you must exec "login" from lowest level "shell" :confused: What i want is: open various... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterpan
0 Replies

2. Solaris

sendmail "root... User address required." error

I'm running sendmail (8.13.8+Sun/8.13.8/Submit) solaris 10. When I send mail to root at the command line (whether I use a full-qualified address or just root), I get the error message root... User address required. Sending mail to root (either at the command line or in a cron job),... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: csgonan
10 Replies

3. Red Hat

How do I run my "SMTP" service as a root privilege ?

Friends , i want to run my smtp service as a root . let me know what r the changes i have to made to my machine . AVklinux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avklinux
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab does not run "root" job

hi, I've read different posts regarding crontab but none helped out...the shell scrip that I want to run through crontab gets run through crontab when I use the following crontab statement: 13 17 * * * /usr/net/gcc/DBdrop.sh > /usr/net/gcc/DBdrop.log 2>&1 but it does not run when I scheduel... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux0004
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing password with sudo user " permission denied"

HI All, I am using solaris i created a user adam and updated his permissions in vi sudoers file as follows adam ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWORD: ALL ........... when i create user by logging as sudo user . $ sudo useradd -d /home/kalyan -m -s /bin/sh kalyan sudo: not found ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync is not working at root "/" level between two servers

copying daily changes from serverA to serverB using rsync(solaris8, v2.6.2) at root folder level. serverA: cd / rsync -a -vv --delete --checksum --sparse --stats --dry-run --exclude /tmp/ --exclude /proc/ --exclude /devices/ . root@<IP of ServerB>:/ This is generating mainly three debug... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
0 Replies

8. AIX

Change "root" to "root.admin" in outgoing e-mails

Our AIX servers send e-mails which have the "from" address set to "root@company.com" for our root user ("C{M}company.com" in /etc/sendmail.cf). The problem is that when bad e-mails are sent out or rejected by remote servers, they are being returned and delivered to e-mail box of "Mary Root". ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kah00na
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Permission error when "touch"ing file with different user

Hi, There are 2 users (T886072 & T864764) that need to be provided full (rwx) access to a directory. I made the changes to the directory permissions using chmod and setfacl : root@digidb2:# chmod 700 /u02/ftpfiles/MFRS16/discount_rates/ root@digidb2:# setfacl -s... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
3 Replies
asadmin-restart-instance(1AS)					   User Commands				     asadmin-restart-instance(1AS)

NAME
asadmin-restart-instance, restart-instance - restarts the specified server instance and all the services associated with it SYNOPSIS
restart-instance [--user admin_user] [--password admin_password] [--host localhost] [--port 4848] [--local=false] [--domain domain_name] [--passwordfile filename] [--secure|-s]instance_name Use the restart-instance to restart the instance with the instance name specified. The restart-instance command can be run both locally and remotely. To restart remotely, the administration server must be running on the hostname and port number specified. The user authenticates using the password identified for the administration server. Additionally, the instance must already exist within the domain served by the administration server, and the instance must be running. The restart-instance command is not supported on Windows. OPTIONS
--user administrative user associated for the instance. --password administrative password corresponding to the administrative user. --host host name of the machine hosting the administrative instance. --port administrative port number associated with the administrative host. --local determines if the command should delegate the request to administrative instance or run locally. --domain name of the domain. --passwordfile file containing passwords appropriate for the command (e.g., administrative instance). --secure if true, uses SSL/TLS to communicate with the administrative instance. OPERANDS
instance_name name of the instance to be restarted. Example 1: Using restart-instance in local mode asadmin> restart-instance --local --domain domain1 server1 Instance server1 started Where: server1 is the name of the instance restarted on the domain1 domain. Example 2: Using restart-instance in remote mode asadmin> restart-instance --user admin --password adminadmin --host bluestar --port 4848 server1 Instance server1 started Where: server1 is the name of the instance restarted. The restarted instance is associated with the user, password, host, and port number specified. EXIT STATUS
0 command executed successfully 1 error in executing the command INTERFACE EQUIVALENT
Server Instance page asadmin-delete-instance(1AS), asadmin-start-instance(1AS), asadmin-create-instance(1AS), asadmin-stop-instance(1AS), asadmin-start- appserv(1AS), asadmin-stop-appserv(1AS), asadmin-start-domain(1AS), asadmin-stop-domain(1AS) J2EE 1.4 SDK March 2004 asadmin-restart-instance(1AS)