Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to run root level command , if user has "su -" permission in sudoers provided? Post 303043388 by rbatte1 on Monday 27th of January 2020 08:28:33 AM
Old 01-27-2020
The privilege you have permits you to become the superuser, but not to directly run anything from your account but as the superuser.

If you can become the superuser, then I presume you are the system administrator (or part of the team) so you should know how to write yourself the appropriate sudo rule. Can you show us what you have tried?

- - CAUTION - -
If you break the sudo rules, then it is possible to lock yourself out, i.e. if they are invalid then you may not be able to even sudo su - like you can at the moment.
Make sure you have several superuser session already connected before you do this, and better to use the visudo tool too. It protects you somewhat, but it's probably not infallible.
Take copies of any files before you changes them and make sure you have a way and privilege to put them back if you need to. Save the permissions, else sudo may still refuse to run.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No utpmx entry: you must exec "login" from lowest level "shell"

Hi I have installed solaris 10 on an intel machine. Logged in as root. In CDE, i open terminal session, type login alex (normal user account) and password and i get this message No utpmx entry: you must exec "login" from lowest level "shell" :confused: What i want is: open various... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterpan
0 Replies

2. Solaris

sendmail "root... User address required." error

I'm running sendmail (8.13.8+Sun/8.13.8/Submit) solaris 10. When I send mail to root at the command line (whether I use a full-qualified address or just root), I get the error message root... User address required. Sending mail to root (either at the command line or in a cron job),... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: csgonan
10 Replies

3. Red Hat

How do I run my "SMTP" service as a root privilege ?

Friends , i want to run my smtp service as a root . let me know what r the changes i have to made to my machine . AVklinux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avklinux
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab does not run "root" job

hi, I've read different posts regarding crontab but none helped out...the shell scrip that I want to run through crontab gets run through crontab when I use the following crontab statement: 13 17 * * * /usr/net/gcc/DBdrop.sh > /usr/net/gcc/DBdrop.log 2>&1 but it does not run when I scheduel... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux0004
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing password with sudo user " permission denied"

HI All, I am using solaris i created a user adam and updated his permissions in vi sudoers file as follows adam ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWORD: ALL ........... when i create user by logging as sudo user . $ sudo useradd -d /home/kalyan -m -s /bin/sh kalyan sudo: not found ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync is not working at root "/" level between two servers

copying daily changes from serverA to serverB using rsync(solaris8, v2.6.2) at root folder level. serverA: cd / rsync -a -vv --delete --checksum --sparse --stats --dry-run --exclude /tmp/ --exclude /proc/ --exclude /devices/ . root@<IP of ServerB>:/ This is generating mainly three debug... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
0 Replies

8. AIX

Change "root" to "root.admin" in outgoing e-mails

Our AIX servers send e-mails which have the "from" address set to "root@company.com" for our root user ("C{M}company.com" in /etc/sendmail.cf). The problem is that when bad e-mails are sent out or rejected by remote servers, they are being returned and delivered to e-mail box of "Mary Root". ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kah00na
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Permission error when "touch"ing file with different user

Hi, There are 2 users (T886072 & T864764) that need to be provided full (rwx) access to a directory. I made the changes to the directory permissions using chmod and setfacl : root@digidb2:# chmod 700 /u02/ftpfiles/MFRS16/discount_rates/ root@digidb2:# setfacl -s... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
3 Replies
DATABASE(7) PostgreSQL 9.2.7 Documentation ALTER DATABASE(7) NAME
ALTER_DATABASE - change a database SYNOPSIS
ALTER DATABASE name [ [ WITH ] option [ ... ] ] where option can be: CONNECTION LIMIT connlimit ALTER DATABASE name RENAME TO new_name ALTER DATABASE name OWNER TO new_owner ALTER DATABASE name SET TABLESPACE new_tablespace ALTER DATABASE name SET configuration_parameter { TO | = } { value | DEFAULT } ALTER DATABASE name SET configuration_parameter FROM CURRENT ALTER DATABASE name RESET configuration_parameter ALTER DATABASE name RESET ALL DESCRIPTION
ALTER DATABASE changes the attributes of a database. The first form changes certain per-database settings. (See below for details.) Only the database owner or a superuser can change these settings. The second form changes the name of the database. Only the database owner or a superuser can rename a database; non-superuser owners must also have the CREATEDB privilege. The current database cannot be renamed. (Connect to a different database if you need to do that.) The third form changes the owner of the database. To alter the owner, you must own the database and also be a direct or indirect member of the new owning role, and you must have the CREATEDB privilege. (Note that superusers have all these privileges automatically.) The fourth form changes the default tablespace of the database. Only the database owner or a superuser can do this; you must also have create privilege for the new tablespace. This command physically moves any tables or indexes in the database's old default tablespace to the new tablespace. Note that tables and indexes in non-default tablespaces are not affected. The remaining forms change the session default for a run-time configuration variable for a PostgreSQL database. Whenever a new session is subsequently started in that database, the specified value becomes the session default value. The database-specific default overrides whatever setting is present in postgresql.conf or has been received from the postgres command line. Only the database owner or a superuser can change the session defaults for a database. Certain variables cannot be set this way, or can only be set by a superuser. PARAMETERS
name The name of the database whose attributes are to be altered. connlimit How many concurrent connections can be made to this database. -1 means no limit. new_name The new name of the database. new_owner The new owner of the database. new_tablespace The new default tablespace of the database. configuration_parameter, value Set this database's session default for the specified configuration parameter to the given value. If value is DEFAULT or, equivalently, RESET is used, the database-specific setting is removed, so the system-wide default setting will be inherited in new sessions. Use RESET ALL to clear all database-specific settings. SET FROM CURRENT saves the session's current value of the parameter as the database-specific value. See SET(7) and Chapter 18, Server Configuration, in the documentation for more information about allowed parameter names and values. NOTES
It is also possible to tie a session default to a specific role rather than to a database; see ALTER ROLE (ALTER_ROLE(7)). Role-specific settings override database-specific ones if there is a conflict. EXAMPLES
To disable index scans by default in the database test: ALTER DATABASE test SET enable_indexscan TO off; COMPATIBILITY
The ALTER DATABASE statement is a PostgreSQL extension. SEE ALSO
CREATE DATABASE (CREATE_DATABASE(7)), DROP DATABASE (DROP_DATABASE(7)), SET(7), CREATE TABLESPACE (CREATE_TABLESPACE(7)) PostgreSQL 9.2.7 2014-02-17 ALTER DATABASE(7)